Will my 1700x bottleneck me if I run the 2070 at 1440p?

Greetings,

I am building a computer that will be used mostly for gaiming and VR, but will also see some blender and photoshop use. My current part list can be found here:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Sour_Tooth/saved/6Q2zYJ

I was wandering if the Ryzen 7 1700x will bottlekneck my computers performance.

Any and all help appreciated,

- Riley

The 1700X will be fine, especially if you overclock it. Even if you don't I don't think it will make a difference. You might want to go with a beefier cooler if you want to overclock though. Here is one, although it will be more difficult to install, so if you have never built a PC it may be a bit of a challenge. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186066&cm_re=am4_cooler-_-35-186-066-_-Product

Seems this is my first time building a computer, could you recommend any guides to help me along? Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, Firewrath9 said:

Prob not unless its a terribly optimized game.

Thanks for the help

1 hour ago, Judd said:

The 1700X will be fine, especially if you overclock it. Even if you don't I don't think it will make a difference. You might want to go with a beefier cooler if you want to overclock though. Here is one, although it will be more difficult to install, so if you have never built a PC it may be a bit of a challenge. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186066&cm_re=am4_cooler-_-35-186-066-_-Product

Seems this is my first time building a computer, could you recommend any guides to help me along?

Also, would it be worth looking into the 1700 since it comes with an RGB cooler and has very similar specs?

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/3915vs3917

Thanks for the help!

10 hours ago, Sour-Tooth said:

Also, would it be worth looking into the 1700 since it comes with an RGB cooler and has very similar specs?

For gaming, the 1700X is preferred due to its higher core clock, which is the main factor in game performance. Personally, I'd pay the 20$ more for the 1700X and then buy a new cooler.

10 hours ago, Sour-Tooth said:

Seems this is my first time building a computer, could you recommend any guides to help me along?

LinusTechTips has a guide here.

BitWit has a guide here.

I would follow BitWit because he is using AMD like you and it will be more similar to your experience.

Building a PC is actually very easy, the hardest part for me was plugging stuff in and installing Windows. Believe it or not but PC components aren't extremely fragile. When I first built my PC I treated it like gold, but now I realize damaging something is hard to do unless you have absolutely no idea what to do.  

And keep in mind if you need help you can always post in the forum.

Also, I just re-checked your par list, but I see you removed the 3TB HDD for a 320gb HDD. Just wanted to make sure you saw that it was only 320gb.

One last thing, I did more research on a cooler, and I apologize but the one I listed seems to have a problem with not covering the entire IHS of AM$ CPUs, so I now recommend this one, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835186200

It is also easier to install and has a higher TDP.

Thank you! 

I updated my part list to have a cheaper starting cost. 

Anything not required was moved to a seperate list, and would be bought after the initial computer is build.

I’ll keep the 1700x for now.

I have a few other questions:

1. Do you know anything about upcoming AMD processors, releasing in 2019 or later? I am planning to upgrade my CPU around 2020, and wanted to have someone else’s input.

2. Are there any stores you’d recommend to check for Black Friday / Cyber monday sales? I am looking for anything on my part list.

3. Would the FreeSync with Nivada GPU trick (explained in the link below) work with my setup? From the research I’ve done it seems like it would. 

Link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_rxFxdvO3fQ

4. Is 1080p 60hz underkill for my setep? What monitors would you recommend under $500?

I know that’s a lot of questions. Thanks for your time!

- Riley 

1 hour ago, Sour-Tooth said:

Do you know anything about upcoming AMD processors, releasing in 2019 or later? I am planning to upgrade my CPU around 2020, and wanted to have someone else’s input.

increase, however at a high cost, so probably 300$ vs 200$. 

1 hour ago, Sour-Tooth said:

Are there any stores you’d recommend to check for Black Friday / Cyber monday sales? I am looking for anything on my part list.

Amazon and Newegg are the only retailers I use to get electronics as I trust them the most.

2 hours ago, Sour-Tooth said:

Would the FreeSync with Nivada GPU trick (explained in the link below) work with my setup? From the research I’ve done it seems like it would. 

I do not believe so because that trick works with an APU, so like the 2400G. The 1700X is not an APU which means it does not have graphics built in, which is what the trick relies on.

Is 1080p 60hz underkill for my setep? What monitors would you recommend under $500?

Yes, especially with a 2070. I have a 1070 and use this monitor, https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM68-P-ultrawide-monitor.

The downside is it doesn't have G-Sync but it does have Freesync in case you get an AMD GPU. You may want this https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB241H-bmipr-1920x1080/dp/B01C05C1OK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540689147&sr=8-1&keywords=1080p+144hz+gsync,

because it is 144hz, perfect for gaming, and has G-Sync. It's your choice, if you want the best for gaming, the second one is best, for productivity and mild gaming, the first one is better.

I know that’s a lot of questions. Thanks for your time!

It's perfectly fine, I was once in your position just starting out with computers and thanks to the help of this forum I was able to build my first PC. Just trying to spread it forward.

Thanks again for your response! I have another few questions about monitors.

For my main monitor, I am planning on using the Dell Gaming Monitor S2417DG YNY1D.

I then plan on getting an LG 25UM58-P 25" and an LG 29WK600-W 29".  Will the lower resolution and refresh rate hurt my experience if I make a triple monitor setup (Pictured below) The Dell monitor will be at the centre, the 25" will be at the top, and 29" at the side.

What are your thoughts on this setup?

For my main monitor, I am planning on using the Dell Gaming Monitor S2417DG YNY1D.

Great monitor for gaming.

I then plan on getting an LG 25UM58-P 25" and an LG 29WK600-W 29".  Will the lower resolution and refresh rate hurt my experience if I make a triple monitor setup (Pictured below) The Dell monitor will be at the centre, the 25" will be at the top, and 29" at the side.

What are your thoughts on this setup?

Is this setup for gaming because usually for gaming on 3 monitors they will all be the same monitor and go like this, 2:1:3, where the numbers represent the monitor while the : represents the border. If not then that setup is fine. IMO I would get 2 more 1920x 1080p 60hz monitors at a lower price point and put them all side by side. This way your gaming monitor is in the middle of the 3 instead of slightly off center. This way you could also game on all 3 at once, although you would be stuck at 60hz.

Another option is getting 2 of the 29 inch monitors and placing them all side by side, with the 1920x1080p monitor in the middle. This requires a large desk but would make it easier to set up as no mount is needed and dragging items over would be easier. With a set up like this,      2

1:3

When dragging windows from 2 to 3 or vice-versa it would have to go through 1 then up/down to 2/3.

One last bit, you would be surprised at the screen real-estate a simple 1920x1080 and a 29inch monitor provides. I'm using a 34inch ultrawide and it is amazing. Also, if you didn't know, but press ctrl + windows key + D and it creates a separate desktop you can use. You use ctrl + windows key + left/right arrow to switch between them. This makes it a lot less cramped. I usually have 5 open, 1 for my game, 2 for stream software, 3 for discord, 4 for Spotify, 5 for web browsing. But you can drag any program over to another, it's basically like having a sperate, hidden screen.

I hope this helps you decide, you can always buy 1 or 2 and decide if you need the third or not. Good luck.

This helps a lot. Thank you for all of your help! I see what you mean, and will look into different setups. The two 29” with dell monitor in center looks good.

I have a 15 year old monitor at that is 27” 60hz (no sync technology) and am currently using that. I think any upgrade from this tearing monitor would be a blessing.

I will look into some more monitor setups. Again, thank you for your help. It is appreciated.

Side note, the image I referenced in my last post didn’t successfully upload. (I’m getting a WiFi upgrade soon)

37 minutes ago, Sour-Tooth said:

think any upgrade from this tearing monitor would be a blessing.

Try turning on V-Sync in Nvidia control panel, or in the game if you have AMD. Here is how to turn it on.

Right click on the desktop then click on the Nvidia Control Panel.

Then click here;

image.png.ee15f1ea4c51a5621f73c9fe92633143.png

Then scroll down to here;

image.png.f208082dc61a37b38e430d3385f4ed82.png

Then turn on V-Sync here;

image.png.a25f273b96c202262373187a89263006.png

Click apply. A restart is needed most of the time.

Hope it helps.

19 hours ago, Sour-Tooth said:

Thank you! I’m so glad you could help.

No problem.