Case standoff’s? Do I need them?

PortzJ

Hey, 

My motherboard sits to high in my case and I was wondering if it’s because my standoff’s. I don’t want to fry my mother board so can someone tell me if I even need them for this case. My graphics card can not be mounted correctly because it’s high, that makes sense

A04B2BF0-3D05-4D25-A6AD-7C821C959A0A.jpeg

5D0B6C5D-AAFA-4EEB-A0D9-76206C2BE54C.jpeg

A61C227C-C333-4551-BD57-C8771A1D6BA0.jpeg

Thanks,

Portz:D

yes you absolutely need them.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

No, it seems like the case is designed to have that metal bits raised where you typically put standoffs.

Only install standoffs where the metal is flat and the motheboard has a hole in that location.  For example, if your board is mATX you may need to add two standoffs above the center - in your last picture that red and black is right over one of the two holes.

your mobo will touch the case. aka 1 little power surge and dead. also you cant even put in mobo wthout standoffs

My case has these little mounds im just not sure tho 

Thanks,

Portz:D

Guys look at the pictures before commenting. He has one of those cases that has a metal standoffs created from the metal of the case (and those can't be removed), for the standard ATX screw locations.

If the board is not ATX or has additional holes, he can add standoffs. 

@PortzJ the standoffs are there so that exposed metal on the back of your motherboard will not touch the flat panel of the case and short circuit something.

Only the holes on your motherboard are surrounded by a bit of metal which is intended to connect to the metal case, so you only want standoffs where the motherboard holes are.

Those bumps on your case do the job of preventing the back of the motherboard from touching the case, but your motherboard may have more screw holes than those bumps - so just add standoffs where needed, if needed.

In conclusion, you should use the standoffs. If you choose not use them, it will be very risky.

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

You can only use two kinds of screws ... either the

1. UNC 6-32 (imperial thread , used for mechanical hard drives, screwing video cards to case etc, typically have that hexagonal head) or

2. M3 screws (metric, 3mm diameter, so a bit smaller diameter and finer thread than the other, used typically to screw optical drives to the case mostly, and they usually have a round disc in the head shape)

It's up to the case manufacturer to choose the screw and standoffs, the majority go with the unc 6-32 screws. So try those bigger ones and if they don't thread easily, don't force them and try the smaller M3 ones.

The diameter of M3 screws is smaller than the holes for imperial screws, so if you try to screw a m3 in imperial hole, the m3 screws would just never screw, they'd just turn around in the hole. And imperial screws have diameter bigger than M3 holes, so you can't screw them in unless you really force it. Can't really get them wrong unless you're really forcing things.

threads.thumb.jpg.feb326a76e75601740b1673c0e6da631.jpg

unc 6-32 on the left , M3 in the center , bottom right are screws for mounting fans , top right I'm not sure, probably unc 6-32 (can't see the thread pitch well)