Mini Itx Office pc

My2t1c

Hey Guys!

I want to build a small itx formfactor office pc for my father. He does not need a lot of power, just for some Excel, Office and some Browsing, maby for watching some movies.

I dont really know what parts to choose, the only pcs I have build so far were Gaming Pcs. So I have no Idea what parts to choose. I was thinking about 8 gb of ram, maby even an m.2 ssd (only 256gb or even less, just for the operating system and some programms) a 2tb hdd, and a itx case to keep it nice and small.

Any sugestions?

Thanks for your help guys!

I suggest you just buy a prebuilt. He is not going to be doing anything that requires a lot of processing power. It should be cheaper and saves you a lot of time. Instead, you could buy him a laptop if he is fine with that. 

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

4 minutes ago, I-r0k said:

I suggest you just buy a prebuilt. He is not going to be doing anything that requires a lot of processing power. It should be cheaper and saves you a lot of time. Instead, you could buy him a laptop if he is fine with that. 

He already has a laptop. My father travels a lot, but he still wants a desktop pc (idn why, maby like a storage pc?). He also does not want a prebuild.

Btw Price is not a problem.

8 minutes ago, My2t1c said:

He already has a laptop. My father travels a lot, but he still wants a desktop pc (idn why, maby like a storage pc?). He also does not want a prebuild.

Btw Price is not a problem.

An a Athlon 200ge with an a320 board and Dual Channel ram should be fine how about a 1tb or 2tb sata ssd in most application m.2 ssds don't have an advantage for a case maybe cougar qbx

53 minutes ago, My2t1c said:

Hey Guys!

I want to build a small itx formfactor office pc for my father. He does not need a lot of power, just for some Excel, Office and some Browsing, maby for watching some movies.

I dont really know what parts to choose, the only pcs I have build so far were Gaming Pcs. So I have no Idea what parts to choose. I was thinking about 8 gb of ram, maby even an m.2 ssd (only 256gb or even less, just for the operating system and some programms) a 2tb hdd, and a itx case to keep it nice and small.

Any sugestions?

Thanks for your help guys!

I think this should be enough.

Case with two 120mm 18dBa.

4 core CPU with Vega 8 iGPU.

Mini ITX Mobo with on-board WiFi. 

8 GB 3000 MHz memory (the 2200g needs at least 3000 MHz memory.

M.2 250 GB Samsung. 2 TB hybrid drive.

450W power supply (loads of headroom).

The case supports optical drive if needed. 

1 minute ago, NotAVAP said:

I think this should be enough.

Case with two 120mm 18dBa.

4 core CPU with Vega 8 iGPU.

Mini ITX Mobo with on-board WiFi. 

8 GB 3000 MHz memory (the 2200g needs at least 3000 MHz memory.

M.2 250 GB Samsung. 2 TB hybrid drive.

450W power supply (loads of headroom).

The case supports optical drive if needed. 

Thanks a lot! Could I technically just slap in a Gpu to upgrade in the future? (idn if I will use this exact case)

1 hour ago, My2t1c said:

Thanks a lot! Could I technically just slap in a Gpu to upgrade in the future? (idn if I will use this exact case)

Indeed it can. The case supports up to 330 mm (13") long video card/any other PCI-E card.

But the 2200g starts to bottleneck around the GTX 1070 ti area. The GTX 1070 is still alright though.

If you want to get a better graphics card later (like the GTX 1080 ti/the new RTX cards) you should get a Ryzen 5 2600. However the R5 2600 doesn't have iGPU so you have to use separate graphics card.

37 minutes ago, NotAVAP said:

Indeed it can. The case supports up to 330 mm (13") long video card/any other PCI-E card.

But the 2200g starts to bottleneck around the GTX 1070 to area. The GTX 1070 is still alright though.

If you want to get a better graphics card later (like the GTX 1080 ti/the new RTX cards) you should get a Ryzen 5 2600. However the R5 2600 doesn't have iGPU so you have to use separate graphics card.

Wont need so strong Gpus.

Silly idea time but if he has a laptop and travels why not just get him a USB3 docking station setup with a decent Monitor mouse and keyboard - that way when he gets back home jsut still has all his same documents etc but in an office type setup. We use this style of setup at work and is very handy. All depends how good is laptop is.

Most office machines do not need a huge amount of storage. I would forget an hdd altogether as it makes the storage structure more complex. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8300 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($147.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - H370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($70.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($159.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Silverstone - RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($94.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  ($75.53 @ Newegg) 
Total: $678.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-26 17:19 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

How is he going to tell the difference between pre-built vs build pc? Swap out the prebuild computer case with a Newegg one. I highly doubt he'll open up the case.  

Heck. you can even buy a decent used laptop (i5, ssd, 8gb ram, maybe dedicated gpu), diy a desktop case, & you got yourself a super tiny office pc. 

Heck. Installed Linux, give it a windows 10 look, & bang. You got yourself a desktop cheaper than buying the parts & you have to added benefits "made my dad pc from laptop parts"