Trying to figure out what killed my Motherboard

tesseracat

So my computer is a few years old,   I have a GTX 970, amd FX8120 and the motherboard was a Sabertooth 990FX for most of the time i had the cpu overclocked to 3.9ghz and recently i bumped it up to 4.1 it was stable and all my temps stayed under 60c. I ran it at 4.1 for about a month,  then i went to power up and my computer wouldn't post. I took it to someone to get it looked at and they said the Mobo was dead,  Could it have been me bumping up the clock or did it just die from age? I just dont know if my OC could have killed it or if it was something else so i know to not push it that high with the new board   (the power supply i have is 850watt)

have you tried cleaning the cmos? does it start at all or just does nothing at all? also, are all pins in the right condition? otherwise it could be age

Everything would power on, all the lights and fans, but i wouldn't get anything on either of my monitors,  when i go talk to the person who looked at it and pick it up I'll see what he thinks, but he is the one the pronounced it dead.     It was kind of dusty inside, so maybe buildup from that?    I was using it at the load i normally put on it (streaming siege with my chatbot  and music app open) then I went to bed, woke up, wouldn't post anymore.

9 minutes ago, tesseracat said:

Everything would power on, all the lights and fans, but i wouldn't get anything on either of my monitors,  when i go talk to the person who looked at it and pick it up I'll see what he thinks, but he is the one the pronounced it dead.     It was kind of dusty inside, so maybe buildup from that?    I was using it at the load i normally put on it (streaming siege with my chatbot  and music app open) then I went to bed, woke up, wouldn't post anymore.

have you tried another videocard to see if it's the reason you don't get an image?

if you have fan spin that would mean that the mobo is not dead.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

Just now, FastRDust said:

have you tried another videocard to see if it's the reason you don't get an image?

The guy that looked at it tried other video cards and CPUs.   I didn't have what I needed to diagnose at home. 

1 minute ago, tesseracat said:

The guy that looked at it tried other video cards and CPUs.   I didn't have what I needed to diagnose at home. 

No MOBO beeps or anything?
If he tested it the thorough way he would have tried your hardware on another mobo to really exclude that it was just your MOBO.

Also maybe connecting the videocard to another slot?

2 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

No MOBO beeps or anything?
If he tested it the thorough way he would have tried your hardware on another mobo to really exclude that it was just your MOBO.

Also maybe connecting the videocard to another slot?

He called yesterday to say it was ready for me to pick up, but I didn't wake up in time to get it yesterday, and the only thing he had to replace was the board

3 minutes ago, tesseracat said:

He called yesterday to say it was ready for me to pick up, but I didn't wake up in time to get it yesterday, and the only thing he had to replace was the board

Did you set the voltage manually for the CPU?

Also if he returns the original board you could check for corrosion or a blown/loose capacitor.

and check if something smells burnt

1 minute ago, FastRDust said:

Also if he returns the original board you could check for corrosion or a blown/loose capacitor.

the sabertooth has a feature that will auto set voltages based on the clock you want, I'm not confidant enough to mess with that myself.    I'll see if i can get the board back when i pick it up today

On 10/26/2018 at 4:03 AM, FastRDust said:

I got the Board back and other then being a bit dusty nothing smelt burned or looked damaged or bent

On 10/28/2018 at 6:14 AM, tesseracat said:

I can take pictures if you would like

it could be that one of the traces on the inside have disconnected.

not much you can do about that...