Components Keep Dying

Jkk27

In the last month my M.2 drive, 2 sticks of crucial RAM, and PCI wireless card have all died.  My specs are

Mobo: MSI z170a gaming M5
CPU: Intel i7 6700k
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport (2x4GB), Kingston Hyperx Fury(2x4GB)
WIFI: TP-Link Archer T6E
PSU: EVGA 850 Gold
M.2: Samsung 950 Pro 256 GB

SSD: Samsung 750 EVO 500GB

HDD: WD 1TB

When I restarted my computer last time it said "please insert proper boot device and reboot" on a black screen.  I have downloaded Windows on a flash drive and made my SSD my boot drive but the M.2 drive does not show up.

I have already RMA'd the RAM and WIFI card, but my M.2 drive is my boot drive and has some other files that I'd rather not lose.  If anyone has any suggestions on what the issues may be they would be much appreciated.

6 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Powersupply is out of spec and frying things or the wall plug you are using is not grounded.

The wall plug is grounded, by out of spec do you mean that 850 watts is just unneeded? What would be a good rated power supply then?

8 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Powersupply is out of spec and frying things or the wall plug you are using is not grounded.

Agreed. The fact that you didn't list the PSU probably means you didn't think it was important, which means you probably cheaper out, which means it's probably not very good.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Jkk27 said:

The wall plug is grounded, by out of spec do you mean that 850 watts is just unneeded? What would be a good rated power supply then?

No.  I mean that it is not putting out the proper voltage.

12v/5v/3.3v may be something like 13v/6v/4v or above.

Just now, fasauceome said:

Agreed. The fact that you didn't list the PSU probably means you didn't think it was important, which means you probably cheaper out, which means it's probably not very good.

I did list the PSU, its EVGA 850 GOLD

Just now, Jkk27 said:

I did list the PSU, its EVGA 850 GOLD

Oh it is listed, my bad. However, "EVGA 80 plus golf" is a large number of people supplies, which doesn't imply that they're all particularly good.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

No.  I mean that it is not putting out the proper voltage.

12v/5v/3.3v may be something like 13v/6v/4v or above.

Is there any change I could fix that myself or would I just need to buy a new PSU.

2 minutes ago, Jkk27 said:

Ok nvm then that's a good PSU

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, Jkk27 said:

That's a very good PSU, I wouldn't expect that to fail but it could I guess. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Ok nvm then that's a good PSU

It has actually failed once before and I sent it back to EVGA for RMA and got a new one.  So I guess it could fail again.  I also talked to some other people and they said that the motherboard was very prone to issues like this.  Any chance it could be that?

29 minutes ago, Jkk27 said:

In the last month my M.2 drive, 2 sticks of crucial RAM, and PCI wireless card have all died.  My specs are

Mobo: MSI z170a gaming M5
CPU: Intel i7 6700k
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport (2x4GB), Kingston Hyperx Fury(2x4GB)
WIFI: TP-Link Archer T6E
PSU: EVGA 850 Gold
M.2: Samsung 950 Pro 256 GB

SSD: Samsung 750 EVO 500GB

HDD: WD 1TB

When I restarted my computer last time it said "please insert proper boot device and reboot" on a black screen.  I have downloaded Windows on a flash drive and made my SSD my boot drive but the M.2 drive does not show up.

I have already RMA'd the RAM and WIFI card, but my M.2 drive is my boot drive and has some other files that I'd rather not lose.  If anyone has any suggestions on what the issues may be they would be much appreciated.

Notice everything that died goes physical into the mobo.

This could be wrong, never hurts to try use a diff one.

I may be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

That's a very good PSU, I wouldn't expect that to fail but it could I guess. 

If your input voltage is out of whack, it can screw with output voltage.

Do you have brownouts or periods where the brightness of lights change?

I had bought 2 500GB 850 EVO SATA 3 SSDs 2 years ago, and one died on me randomly after a few months of use, but the other one has be working fine since. No rhyme or reason to why it stopped working, but I tried other systems, docks, PSUs, it just seemed to completely die, wouldn't even be recognized in the BIOS on any machine... and I have some stuff I don't want to lose on there too, lol.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

1 minute ago, Jkk27 said:

It has actually failed once before and I sent it back to EVGA for RMA and got a new one.  So I guess it could fail again.  I also talked to some other people and they said that the motherboard was very prone to issues like this.  Any chance it could be that?

Well I don't particularly care for MSI motherboards because they're not especially high quality, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

If your input voltage is out of whack, it can screw with output voltage.

Do you have brownouts or periods where the brightness of lights change?

I haven't seen any brownouts

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Well I don't particularly care for MSI motherboards because they're not especially high quality, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Yea, someone suggested a gigabyte board.

Just now, Jkk27 said:

Yea, someone suggested a gigabyte board.

Now that I can get on board with get it hahaha

My brother uses a gigabyte board, and since they're so affordable for the features they offer, I keep using them in PC builds. No failures yet, I think that "ultra durable" branding rings true.

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, Jkk27 said:

If it's a known issue with the motherboard then I would guess that's the issue. A bad psu can cause improper power delivery causing devices to fail but a bad m9therboard can cause bad powerdeliverly to devices connected to it.  

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Now that I can get on board with get it hahaha

My brother uses a gigabyte board, and since they're so affordable for the features they offer, I keep using them in PC builds. No failures yet, I think that "ultra durable" branding rings true.

NO.  I DON'T GET IT, PLEASE EXPLAIN.  Also which gigabyte board would you recommend.

2 minutes ago, Jkk27 said:

NO.  I DON'T GET IT, PLEASE EXPLAIN.  Also which gigabyte board would you recommend.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9siabvr67n1577

this looks similar to you current board, does it have the features you require?

Primary PC:

9 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9siabvr67n1577

this looks similar to you current board, does it have the features you require?

Yea, I think that would work.  Thanks.  I actually looked at that one new and its over 200 so I don't really want to pay that, but under 100 refurbished would be good.