Help! Issue with rear i/o shield on Asus ROG Strix z370-E

I'm building a computer by myself for the first time, and did a ton a research and watched lots of installation/build guide videos, but encountered an issue none of them mentioned.

The little tension prongs on the i/o shield seemed to be really low and I couldn't get the motherboard in at the right angle to have them go above their respective ports. Instead, the prongs were going inside the HDMI, Display Port, USB, etc. 

I Googled the issue and found a few threads by people with the exact same problem for that motherboard, solutions varying from "you're doing it wrong" all the way to "break them off cause they aren't necessary anyways". 

I ended up bending them upwards enough so that I could get the board in and have all the ports lined up well and tested plugging in a USB stick to be sure. However, to achieve this, I had to bend them so far up/back that in some cases there's no contact, or they're bent all the way back and pressing against the silver padded cushion part. 

How bad of an issue is this? Should I contact Asus and get a new i/o shield? Will it be fine as is? 

MoBo: Asus ROG Strix z370-E

Case: Phantex Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass black

Literally whatever you did, as long as the metal prongs aren't inside the ports, is fine. The I/O shield is cosmetic, you can bend and break it however you like.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad