Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Time to upgrade my pc?

GK2

Hello, I started college a few months ago and don't use my computer all that often mainly because I don't play video games anymore. But, when I need to use it do homework or anything along those lines it is painfully slow. My internet speed is not great and that is often the cause for it being so slow due to it being impossible to run a physical cable. This is my current setup 

Should I upgrade now or wait later on down the road. Some important things I thought that would be useful to know for anyone providing suggestions. This computer will mainly be used to do engineering homework and things of that sort not for gaming even though I might do that once a month or so. I can probably spend no more than 500 dollars and don't really mind buying used items. Should I upgrade my pc now or wait? If so what would you suggest. Thank you.

How much RAM and what software will you be using?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

2 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

How much RAM and what software will you be using?

16gb is a must nowadays personally and windows 8 or 10 I am not sure yet.

You should really get an SSD that might be the problem.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

You should really get an SSD that might be the problem.

I got one just isn't in the parts list. sry about that

Just now, GK2 said:

Oh ok. By slow do you just mean like loading webpages or everything in general?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

Oh ok. By slow do you just mean like loading webpages or everything in general?

Everything from file transfer to web pages to simple downloads.

3 minutes ago, GK2 said:

Everything from file transfer to web pages to simple downloads.

The latter two are definitely internet things that a new pc wouldn't fix :/ but the first one should be down to storage. By file transfers are you using the HDD? Because if yes, that could be the issue. You could try defragmenting the HDD

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

The latter two are definitely internet things that a new pc wouldn't fix :/ but the first one should be down to storage. By file transfers are you using the HDD? Because if yes, that could be the issue. You could try defragmenting the HDD

I will look up how to do that. In that case I don't think there is much to do then. Thank you

Just now, GK2 said:

I will look up how to do that. In that case I don't think there is much to do then. Thank you

You could try that but if it doesn't do anything I'm not entirely sure what you could do :/ some parts (like your CPU) could definitely consider being upgraded tho

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

You could upgrade to an i5 or i7 but... whether or not what is causing your system to be slow is the CPU, I don’t know. And it wouldn’t seem like just doing homework and such would be causing it all to run slow. It’s most likely the Internet, if you’re far from your router, or if there are things in the way like a fridge, microwave, or other big metal appliance.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Eh, you'd be really suprised how much an interenet connection makes a difference. Your school should have computer labs that are capable of rendering homework assignments for you, even if they're only quad-core stations with quadros from 2009, they'll still work plenty fine for any type of assignment.

I go to a school with a connection that is never below 150 Mb/s and peaks at 300 Mb/s, but at home I don't even break 20. The difference in trying to do literally anything, even pulling up my browser, is huge.

hi

pipes
Undervolting 5700 (not mine but important)

3 hours ago, GK2 said:

Yeah, but which one? And is Windows on the SSD? Why didn't you list it?

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018