Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

my xeon w3565 was recently dammaged

my xeon w3565 was recently dammaged but idk if it still works, its missing a cap and sub-straight is slightly eroded, if i bridge the gap made by the missing cap would it still work? non of the contacts are missing on the bottum

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The W3565 is $6.99 shipped on ebay, with a bios update it's likely all of the westmere quad and hex cores like the X5672 or X5675 will work on your motherboard.

 

32nm Westmere locked multiplier quads can also go as low as $2.99 shipped. If you're using X58 and not a locked workstation/oem board you can pretty much double the base clock. There's tons of people running X58 boards with the hexcores getting over 4.5ghz and multithreaded performance to skylake and kabylake or 1st gen ryzen out of $25 used, locked xeons. E5649's are really cheap, we've seen some really great numbers out of them over in the X58 Xeon thread.

 

 

I'd just toss it in the trash, LGA1366 boards are worth 10x what the cpu's are. I definitely wouldn't even remotely risk a board with a repair that you aren't certain about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 toss it and get another. Any board you might have won't be the risk.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 3600X, MSI B450-A Pro, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Gigabyte RX 5700,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

 

Daughter's Rig;

Dell Optiplex 3010, Xeon E3 1270 V2, 16GB Patriot Viper 1600Mhz , Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Sapphire Pulse RX 570, Corsair CX430

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually if components on the bottom are missing the CPU still works. Do not bridge that though - you are likely to cause damage that way...

This CPU for example - one of my worse E5640s - still does 4.7 GHz under air for daily given enough voltage and >5 for benching despite having lost a couple caps.

IMG_3336.JPG

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

The W3565 is $6.99 shipped on ebay, with a bios update it's likely all of the westmere quad and hex cores like the X5672 or X5675 will work on your motherboard.

 

32nm Westmere locked multiplier quads can also go as low as $2.99 shipped. If you're using X58 and not a locked workstation/oem board you can pretty much double the base clock. There's tons of people running X58 boards with the hexcores getting over 4.5ghz and multithreaded performance to skylake and kabylake or 1st gen ryzen out of $25 used, locked xeons. E5649's are really cheap, we've seen some really great numbers out of them over in the X58 Xeon thread.

 

 

I'd just toss it in the trash, LGA1366 boards are worth 10x what the cpu's are. I definitely wouldn't even remotely risk a board with a repair that you aren't certain about.

don' the W series have an unlocked multiplier? and i plan to use either a w3690 or an X5690 instead the quad core xeon

 

18 hours ago, Ground said:

Usually if components on the bottom are missing the CPU still works. Do not bridge that though - you are likely to cause damage that way...

This CPU for example - one of my worse E5640s - still does 4.7 GHz under air for daily given enough voltage and >5 for benching despite having lost a couple caps.

IMG_3336.JPG

the chip is only missing one of the tiny SMDs, and one of the corners is a little smashed in but non of the pads are affected

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ScubaSteve404 said:

don' the W series have an unlocked multiplier? and i plan to use either a w3690 or an X5690 instead the quad core xeon

 

the chip is only missing one of the tiny SMDs, and one of the corners is a little smashed in but non of the pads are affected

They do have an unlocked multiplier, but with most motherboards a 200 base clock is perfectly achievable so with my X5675 I could "easily" set the clocks to 25x215, or 5.4ghz. My motherboard will go up to somewhere around like 215mhz on the base clock and with the turbo multiplier of 25(26 only works on like 1 core) I could never reach those frequencies without exotic cooling and an unsafe amount of voltage. My X5660 did 191x23 with the turbo multiplier. You should be able to hit the silicon limit before you hit you base clock wall on most setups.

 

There's little reason to use a W3690 or X5690 unless you have a locked bios, the Mac Pro guys also run up the prices of the X5690/X5680's. The W3680 and X5675 will generally overclock exactly the same as the higher end SKUs, the silicon quality should determine your overclock. The X5675 is supposed to be binned the highest for it's price, it's possible that a X5690 won't even get the same 4.6ghz that I get out of my X5675. The E5649 seems to also be an attractive, cheaper alternative but you could possibly become base clock limited with one of those if you want to run over 4ghz with a lower end board.

 

It would help to know your setup and goals if you would like recommendations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

They do have an unlocked multiplier, but with most motherboards a 200 base clock is perfectly achievable so with my X5675 I could "easily" set the clocks to 25x215, or 5.4ghz. My motherboard will go up to somewhere around like 215mhz on the base clock and with the turbo multiplier of 25(26 only works on like 1 core) I could never reach those frequencies without exotic cooling and an unsafe amount of voltage. My X5660 did 191x23 with the turbo multiplier. You should be able to hit the silicon limit before you hit you base clock wall on most setups.

 

There's little reason to use a W3690 or X5690 unless you have a locked bios, the Mac Pro guys also run up the prices of the X5690/X5680's. The W3680 and X5675 will generally overclock exactly the same as the higher end SKUs, the silicon quality should determine your overclock. The X5675 is supposed to be binned the highest for it's price, it's possible that a X5690 won't even get the same 4.6ghz that I get out of my X5675. The E5649 seems to also be an attractive, cheaper alternative but you could possibly become base clock limited with one of those if you want to run over 4ghz with a lower end board.

 

It would help to know your setup and goals if you would like recommendations.

i plan on getting the asus sabertooth X58 mobo with one of the two xeons, either the W3690 or X5690, overclocked as far as reasonably possible on air with a 980 ti or two and 24GB of DDR3 to make a beastly gaming and editing rig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

No point in the x5690 or W3690. If you want an unlocked CPU (which isn't necessery at all outside of OEM machines) get the W3680 which costs far less then the W3690. The x5690 is just as pointless to buy now - if you want the highest overclock on air, its a better choice to buy multiple x5675s and sell the worse ones over a single x5690, as they are a very close bin, with the x5690 being priced over double the x5675...

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Ground said:

No point in the x5690 or W3690. If you want an unlocked CPU (which isn't necessery at all outside of OEM machines) get the W3680 which costs far less then the W3690. The x5690 is just as pointless to buy now - if you want the highest overclock on air, its a better choice to buy multiple x5675s and sell the worse ones over a single x5690, as they are a very close bin, with the x5690 being priced over double the x5675...

does i matter what kind of ECC DDR3 i use with the w3680?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reg ecc won’t work with most consumer boards. 

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ScubaSteve404 said:

does i matter what kind of ECC DDR3 i use with the w3680?

My Asus Sabertooth will not run REGISTERED ECC. It should support unbuffered unregistered ECC though, but that is more expensive than typical desktop RAM.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 3600X, MSI B450-A Pro, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Gigabyte RX 5700,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

 

Daughter's Rig;

Dell Optiplex 3010, Xeon E3 1270 V2, 16GB Patriot Viper 1600Mhz , Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Sapphire Pulse RX 570, Corsair CX430

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Ground said:

Reg ecc won’t work with most consumer boards. 

 

17 hours ago, asand1 said:

My Asus Sabertooth will not run REGISTERED ECC. It should support unbuffered unregistered ECC though, but that is more expensive than typical desktop RAM.

thanks, where is your profile picture from?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

An old episode of Mr Rogers Neighborhood.

 

 

Black Knight-

Ryzen 3600X, MSI B450-A Pro, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Gigabyte RX 5700,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

 

Daughter's Rig;

Dell Optiplex 3010, Xeon E3 1270 V2, 16GB Patriot Viper 1600Mhz , Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Sapphire Pulse RX 570, Corsair CX430

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 10 months later...

unlocked xeon's lga 1366 x58 are w 3680 - 3690 - 3570 all others are locked my dell t3500 with a w3680 and throttle stop over clocks to 4.2ghz on air standard voltage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×