Windows 10 parallel (async) autostart

homeap5

I noticed that Windows 10 autostart works strange. Of course I know about delay option in registry and I reduced it to zero, so my system don't wait few seconds to loading autostart items, but problem is different.

When my old win7 starts my autostart items/tools, it was ultra fast - every program runs at the same time and it's great for SSD, while HDD works like crazy (what is not a problem for me since I'm using only SSD drives for system).

In win10 I noticed that programs from autostart (and I'm using few tools I need) loading like "one by one". For example - display management tool, then monitoring tool, then print server tool, then filemanager etc.
Ok, I thought that it's because some of that tools works so heavy that other tools just can't load in the same time. But no - I made some test and start filemanager from shortcut right after system boots - and, surprise, it starts immediately, seconds before when is supposed to start using just autostart! So I suspect that win10 somehow delays of loading autostart items - it may be some kind of "improvement" or other brilliant Microsoft idea to made things "faster", since many people asks for delay starting items for speed up process on many forums.

Unfortunatelly - internet is "flooded" by crappy advices about "speed up" boot process by disabling autostart items or by other obvious "tricks". Nobody really check how autostart works. I like my autostart tools because they help me work faster and are useful. And I want to say it clearly - my system load fast enough, it's not big delay, but still - if something may be improved, then I want it!

I made another experiment and disabled all items except filemanager and using jscript inside filemanager (that run directly after start) to run all items from autostart (without using Windows autostart) asynchronously. And surprise - everything is loading faster and programs do not wait each other!

Well - I fixed that by some trick, but I'm curious - why Windows 10 autostart don't work that way? Why it delayed loading another items? It's probably not like system waits for another tool to complete load (that would be much slower), but for sure there is a delay between autostart items. Probably made by Microsoft as "improvement", but still - is there a way to disable that and let Windows loading all autostart tools at the same time (I don't care if it even freeze my computer) without any delay?

I'm wondering has anyone tried to explore this topic.

22 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

I noticed that Windows 10 autostart works strange. Of course I know about delay option in registry and I reduced it to zero, so my system don't wait few seconds to loading autostart items, but problem is different.

When my old win7 starts my autostart items/tools, it was ultra fast - every program runs at the same time and it's great for SSD, while HDD works like crazy (what is not a problem for me since I'm using only SSD drives for system).

In win10 I noticed that programs from autostart (and I'm using few tools I need) loading like "one by one". For example - display management tool, then monitoring tool, then print server tool, then filemanager etc.
Ok, I thought that it's because some of that tools works so heavy that other tools just can't load in the same time. But no - I made some test and start filemanager from shortcut right after system boots - and, surprise, it starts immediately, seconds before when is supposed to start using just autostart! So I suspect that win10 somehow delays of loading autostart items - it may be some kind of "improvement" or other brilliant Microsoft idea to made things "faster", since many people asks for delay starting items for speed up process on many forums.

Unfortunatelly - internet is "flooded" by crappy advices about "speed up" boot process by disabling autostart items or by other obvious "tricks". Nobody really check how autostart works. I like my autostart tools because they help me work faster and are useful. And I want to say it clearly - my system load fast enough, it's not big delay, but still - if something may be improved, then I want it!

I made another experiment and disabled all items except filemanager and using jscript inside filemanager (that run directly after start) to run all items from autostart (without using Windows autostart) asynchronously. And surprise - everything is loading faster and programs do not wait each other!

Well - I fixed that by some trick, but I'm curious - why Windows 10 autostart don't work that way? Why it delayed loading another items? It's probably not like system waits for another tool to complete load (that would be much slower), but for sure there is a delay between autostart items. Probably made by Microsoft as "improvement", but still - is there a way to disable that and let Windows loading all autostart tools at the same time (I don't care if it even freeze my computer) without any delay?

I'm wondering has anyone tried to explore this topic.

Do you have fast boot on the bios

2 minutes ago, Lordclouds said:

Do you have fast boot on the bios

This is not what I'm talking about. I don't care boot time itself, I'm talking about method Windows loads autostart items. I already found workaround as I wrote.

Just now, homeap5 said:

This is not what I'm talking about. I don't care boot time itself, I'm talking about method Windows loads autostart items. I already found workaround as I wrote.

Yeah I know, but fast boot can slow windows load time down .

Just now, Lordclouds said:

Start up programs and old GPU graphics can slow it down

3 minutes ago, Lordclouds said:

No, I'm talking about standard, full boot. I don't use fastboot, since I have few SSD with other operating systems and want to swap them when I want, so I want full boot every time, without hibernation involved.

And btw, please read carefully my post - I'm talking about parallel, async loading of autostart items. If I made workaround by using my own script instead of built-in autostart, then it must be way to made some tuning in system. Unfortunatelly, some programs in autostart makes delay, even if they can be loaded simultaneous.

To be honest, I don't know.

All I can think about is that starting with Windows 8, Microsoft push was to make Windows run better on crap systems. System with crappy eMMC storage and 5400RPM HDDs.

They are probably running one by one, to give the user enough resources to navigate the OS and get going, and not have to wait for '"ages" until everything loads. This is also why Microsoft introduced "Automatic (Delay)" for Windows services, and the delay value in the registry.

20 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

To be honest, I don't know.

All I can think about is that starting with Windows 8, Microsoft push was to make Windows run better on crap systems. System with crappy eMMC storage and 5400RPM HDDs.

They are probably running one by one, to give the user enough resources to navigate the OS and get going, and not have to wait for '"ages" until everything loads. This is also why Microsoft introduced "Automatic (Delay)" for Windows services, and the delay value in the registry.

I agree. I suspect that all delays was made for slow HDDs, including most annoying 5-10 second (I don't remember exactly) delay for start loading any autostart applications (that delay can be reduced in registry). And even if Windows, as I heard, can detect drive (SSD or HDD) and adjust superfetch accordingly, it still can't change that registry value depends on computer and disk speed.

Anyway, maybe it's not one-by-one (but it sometimes looks like that), but for sure not in the same time. Good that I have possibility to made it different.