1440p high refresh rate or 4k 60 for a new comer

Rito101

as someone who never experienced anything beyond 1080p 60hz ( 70% of the time on a 720p 50hz laptop ) which would feel like a better experience ? the 4k with all those pixels or 1440p with all those hertz ?

1440p 144hz is a better experience for gaming.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

4 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

1440p 144hz is a better experience for gaming.

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

1440p 144hz freesync/gsync. 

was it a noticeable difference going from 60 hz for you ? ( btw i dont play that many FPS games likes C.S go ) i mostly play single player campaign stuff and story based games

7 minutes ago, Rito101 said:

was it a noticeable difference going from 60 hz for you ? ( btw i dont play that many FPS games likes C.S go ) i mostly play single player campaign stuff and story based games

Yes.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

4 minutes ago, Rito101 said:

Long story short. I have a hard time stepping down to 60hz after stepping up. Especially in combo with freesync. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8GB Video Card  ($479.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Nixeus - NX-EDG27S 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  ($409.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $889.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-23 06:31 EDT-0400

Video Card: PNY - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB XLR8 Video Card  ($464.98 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Acer - XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor  ($599.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Total: $1064.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-23 06:33 EDT-0400

A GPU+monitor combo is quite expencive regardless if it freesync or Gsync. Both examples have the same performance. Both are IPS for a better picture quality than TN panels. 

10 minutes ago, Rito101 said:

Yes. I helped my friend set up his new monitor, and as soon as I switched it to 144hz, the difference in windows 10 was HUGE, more so in fast paced games. You can notice the 144hz on anything you do on your computer(i.e browse the internet, play games etc)

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Long story short. I have a hard time stepping down to 60hz after stepping up. Especially in combo with freesync. 

Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8GB Video Card  ($479.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Nixeus - NX-EDG27S 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  ($409.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $889.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-23 06:31 EDT-0400

Video Card: PNY - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB XLR8 Video Card  ($464.98 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Acer - XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor  ($599.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Total: $1064.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-23 06:33 EDT-0400

A GPU+monitor combo is quite expencive regardless if it freesync or Gsync. Both examples have the same performance. Both are IPS for a better picture quality than TN panels. 

yeah i was looking at that same Acer 1440p monitor but i also saw that the similar 4K 60hz one isnt too expensive too ( around same price ) and was wondering which would be better for me

2 minutes ago, Rito101 said:

yeah i was looking at that same Acer 1440p monitor but i also saw that the similar 4K 60hz one isnt too expensive too ( around same price ) and was wondering which would be better for me

What budget are you working with for you PC? Its mostly the deciding factor. 

Id grab 1440p over 4k as very few GPUs can actually drive a 4k panel really well (as in do more than 60fps in games)

4 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Yes. I helped my friend set up his new monitor, and as soon as I switched it to 144hz, the difference in windows 10 was HUGE, more so in fast paced games. You can notice the 144hz on anything you do on your computer(i.e browse the internet, play games etc)

Does youtube support 144 hz ? or even 120 hz videos ?

5 minutes ago, Rito101 said:

What are your system specs? If you have a GPU that's not capable of running 4k in games well(i.e anything other than a RTX 2080Ti/Titan V) then you should go for the 1440p 144Hz monitor. Also, if your GPU cant push out 144hz at 1440p in games, then it may be worth upgrading that as well

EDIT: Didn't know you didn't already have a computer, sorry

Just now, GoldenLag said:

What budget are you working with for you PC? Its mostly the deciding factor. 

Id grab 1440p over 4k as very few GPUs can actually drive a 4k panel really well (as in do more than 60fps in games)

3000$ - 3500$ for the build including monitor and im currently planning to get 2080Ti unless all the DLSS stuff turns out to be complete Gimmick

1 minute ago, Rito101 said:

Does youtube support 144 hz ? or even 120 hz videos ?

Not that I know of. Generally moving the mouse around was very very smooth compared to 60Hz, and when I switched back to 60Hz, it was like using a broken monitor. 

1 minute ago, Rito101 said:

3000$ - 3500$ for the build including monitor and im currently planning to get 2080Ti unless all the DLSS stuff turns out to be complete Gimmick

Well. DLSS 2160p (4k) is said to be roughly the same as 1800p in terms of image quality, with Pros and Cons on both side, and performance. Make what you will of that.

Im guessing you are going all out on this build? Ill throw together a suggestion or two.

3 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Not that I know of. Generally moving the mouse around was very very smooth compared to 60Hz, and when I switched back to 60Hz, it was like using a broken monitor. 

planning to get either 2080 or 1080ti, and if the DLSS and ray tracing turns out to be worth it, ill get the 2080Ti

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Well. DLSS 2160p (4k) is said to be roughly the same as 1800p in terms of image quality, with Pros and Cons on both side, and performance. Make what you will of that.

Im guessing you are going all out on this build? Ill throw together a suggestion or two.

this is my build 

2 minutes ago, Rito101 said:

-snip-

Seems good. No major gripes with it. 

3 hours ago, _d0nut said:

May be better to go ryzen on this one, it performs very similar to intel in games at 1440p, and is way cheaper.

I did the math for the 2700x and at most ill be saving 100$ over the 8700k so imo its not that much different so imma go with the 8700k and delid it, unless 7nm ryzen proves all the hype its been getting the past couple months

1 hour ago, Rito101 said:

I did the math for the 2700x and at most ill be saving 100$ over the 8700k so imo its not that much different so imma go with the 8700k and delid it, unless 7nm ryzen proves all the hype its been getting the past couple months

Ryzen performs basically the same as intel at 1440p though(+- 1-2% fps). Still strongly believe 7nm ryzen will be very good so going for AM4 may prove to be a better choice. 8700k has no real benefit here against ryzen except at 1080p where it still is better for gaming.