Create a File Browser Through a WebAPI

Hello Guys so i recently wanted to start a project of my own to solve a problem, you see im living with my 2 siblings at the moment, and i hold a large collection of movies (arround 8TB ) that are Stored on my Personal rig and several external hard drives,
the problem is that its a hassle to disconect and wait for files to transfer
i wanted to create a webapi and a client that could function as an explorer (just like windows explorer) to browse the directory of the hard drives and strema the data to the computer using the browser while the files remain on the main computer
i havent been able to found anything like that aside from webstorage and streaming, i only want it to be locally 0 internet
im familiar with Javascript and some lable languages for web development, but im at a loss with APIs like NODE.JS and such, any starters?

Main PC:| CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4.1, MOBO: Asus B350 PRIME , RAM: LPX Vengance 2400 16gb kit, GPU: 980Ti Poseidon Platinum 6gb
                PSU: SilverStone Strider Gold Evolution 1200w , CASE: HAF 932  HDDs:240gb EX900 HP NVME 6TB (2x3 Seagate Barracuda)
                COOLING: ThermalTake Contac Silent 12
Laptop:MSI GL62 7RD  CPU: Core i5 7300HQ, RAM: 16GB 2400mhz, :GPU GTX 1050 2GB: HDDs: 256gb adata NVME + 1TB HDD

love all brands, will go for whats cheaper for my needs

I mean, you could always just share the folders on your network. This can be found under the folder properties. On your siblings computer you could map a network drive with all the movies.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

5 minutes ago, BigDamn said:

I mean, you could always just share the folders on your network. This can be found under the folder properties. On your siblings computer you could map a network drive with all the movies.

ye that could work, but thing is that i also want to export to mobile devices later, such as tablets and phones, ive tried the network thing and 99% of the time doesnt work

Main PC:| CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4.1, MOBO: Asus B350 PRIME , RAM: LPX Vengance 2400 16gb kit, GPU: 980Ti Poseidon Platinum 6gb
                PSU: SilverStone Strider Gold Evolution 1200w , CASE: HAF 932  HDDs:240gb EX900 HP NVME 6TB (2x3 Seagate Barracuda)
Laptop:MSI GL62 7RD  CPU: Core i5 7300HQ, RAM: 16GB 2400mhz, :GPU GTX 1050 2GB: HDDs: 256gb adata NVME + 1TB HDD

3 minutes ago, Mauricio G. B. said:

ye that could work, but thing is that i also want to export to mobile devices later, such as tablets and phones, ive tried the network thing and 99% of the time doesnt work

If you're on Android I believe ES File Explorer has the ability to connect to Windows shared folders and stream video. Not sure about iOS

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

A FTP server is really easy to set up. On Windows, there's Filezilla FTP server which takes minutes to set up ... with gigabit network cards, you're transferring files at 100+ MB/s so it doesn't take long for a file to download. Web browsers generate folder listing for ftp addresses automatically.

You can access everything from a browser, you simply say ftp://ip  or ftp://userame:pass@ip  (you can bookmark it in your browser) and use save as to dowload the file locally.

Music and some content (mp4 files mostly) you can probably play directly if a player is smart enough, for example drag the link into the video player and the player will stream (for mkv files the player may try to buffer a big chunk of it or dowload it completely in order to give you seek capability, mp4 files have seek info at the start most of the time)

Just set yourself up as a UPnP DLNA server, either nativity through windows (though this can be hit and miss) or with a dedicated server program.

There are a whole host of clients and servers for any kind of device you can think of, and some of the native windows stuff even works.

interesting, thing is i dont want any kind of file transfer, i only want streaming from the host to the client,

11 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Then set up a media server, try Plex for example , the server is free: https://www.plex.tv/media-server-downloads/

it seems to be a paid service, but it also seems to be what im looking for, is the paid service mandatory for the streaming features?, if its i would go back to my first idea since i dont want to spend on it, ill review it later when im off work

The server is free, but some applications (that you can use to access the server) cost money. You can use other free applications to access the server, and in some cases you don't need anything (for example a smart tv will just work)

See https://support.plex.tv/articles/200350536-dlna/ and see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UPnP_AV_media_servers_and_clients#UPnP_AV_clients

you could just try it out ... download virtualbox and install windows 10 in a virtual pc (you can leave win 10 in evaluation mode)  and then setup the media server ... this way you won't affect your pc's functionality in any way until you're sure about it.

Just use network share and ES explorer for android. When you play media file from network it does stream it. Shared folder also visible on SmartTV (on DLNA option) and Playstation 3 in the network menu (some MP4 codecs are screwed on PS3 but that's PS3 fault)

One option is also Kodi UPnP for the server and Kodi for the clients, it's what XBMC turned into and is a content aggregater. You will not only be able to stream all your local files to any device (TV, Phone, Tablet or PC) but you can also mix in online sources as well (in Germany you can get the southpark stream legally for free for example). The interface is great and works well on all devices. Also streams 4K without any issues and supports 5.1 surround sound. 

As others have mentioned, a web app really isn't the best solution but if you really want to you can set up a webserver with your folder with everything you want to share as the root folder and allow directory listing.