Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is this?

Mohammed2935
 Share

Hi, 

what is this thing, should I disable it and delete it? what is the best free anti virus to remove it from my system? I am using windows 10 October update defender.

Capture.PNG

22.PNG

33.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just reinstalled 2 clean windows, never seen this in startup.

reinstall windows is always fastest and safest way to remove any uncertainties 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Just reinstalled 2 clean windows, never seen this in startup.

reinstall windows is always fastest and safest way to remove any uncertainties 

how can I remove it correctly? I scanned it with defender and it says it is safe hahaha.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Mohammed2935 said:

how can I remove it correctly

dont trust any softwares, reinstall windows

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

dont trust any softwares, reinstall windows

I would love to do clean installation but I have a lot of steam games …. so it will take time to reinstall them all …….. I reinstalled windows 10 on the current windows 10 that keeps all the setting. this thing is still there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Open it in Notepad and show us the contents please

 

It seems like a leftover from an upgrade from an older version of Windows

Intel Core i3-10100 - Gigabyte Z490M - HyperX DDR4 16GB  - 500W - 1x 1080p - macOS 12 Monterey, Windows 11

Intel Core i5-4210U - Acer Aspire E5-573G - 8GB - 768p - macOS 11 Big Sur, Windows 11
iPhone 12 - iOS 15

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Open it in Notepad and show us the contents please

 

It seems like a leftover from an upgrade from an older version of Windows

I cant open it on notepad and when I clicked it, it just took me to the desktop and minimized everything. strange!!

55.PNG

555.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a shortcut that basically acts like the button on the bottom right, showing the desktop. It should be safe

Intel Core i3-10100 - Gigabyte Z490M - HyperX DDR4 16GB  - 500W - 1x 1080p - macOS 12 Monterey, Windows 11

Intel Core i5-4210U - Acer Aspire E5-573G - 8GB - 768p - macOS 11 Big Sur, Windows 11
iPhone 12 - iOS 15

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn guys, every single suspicious file and you recommended clean install? Please, start using your computers with sense!

 

For that small unknown crap you can just scan with AdwCleaner. Also - you can open file location and you'll know what is this.

Probably you can just remove this from autorstart. You may even place this shortcut in autostart somehow by accident.

 

49 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Just reinstalled 2 clean windows, never seen this in startup.

reinstall windows is always fastest and safest way to remove any uncertainties 

And it's also so much fun for people who don't do anything interesting on their computers. It's kind of a hobbry for users who learn once how to install Windows and now they're think that they know anything. Pro specialist. Great advice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Damn guys, every single suspicious file and you recommended clean install? Please, start using your computers with sense!

 

For that small unknown crap you can just scan with AdwCleaner. Also - you can open file location and you'll know what is this.

Probably you can just remove this from autorstart. You may even place this shortcut in autostart somehow by accident.

 

And it's also so much fun for people who don't do anything interesting on their computers. It's kind of a hobbry for users who learn once how to install Windows and now they're think that they know anything. Pro specialist. Great advice.

I tried your app and it removed other things but not that. do you know another app I can try?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mohammed2935 said:

I tried your app and it removed other things but not that. do you know another app I can try?

Just manual delete that shortcut. Is harmless as far as I can see.

BTW. You can open anything (if is not too big) in Notepad by using drag&drop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Just manual delete that shortcut. Is harmless as far as I can see.

BTW. You can open anything (if is not too big) in Notepad by using drag&drop.

you are right I opened it on notepad.

 

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Just manual delete that shortcut. Is harmless as far as I can see.

BTW. You can open anything (if is not too big) in Notepad by using drag&drop.

is it safe?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it's safe. And file is safe too. Everything is fine.

And because of small file that opens desktop, someone wants you to reinstall windows, lol. :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You, or you have a program that creates a shortcut to the desktop. This is Windows XP icon.

If you didn't do it, I would confirm which executable it runs... sounds like it was or is supposed to execute a malware or virus and is just called "Desktop".

At best, it does the call to show your desktop, minimizing everything that you might have. Is it a poor's man work around to hide a bug from an attack or proorly coded software? Maybe...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You, or you have a program that creates a shortcut to the desktop. This is Windows XP icon.

If you didn't do it, I would confirm which executable it runs... sounds like it was or is supposed to execute a malware or virus and is just called "Desktop".

At best, it does the call to show your desktop, minimizing everything that you might have. Is it a poor's man work around to hide a bug from an attack or proorly coded software? Maybe...

He already opened it in notepad. Nothing suspicious. It may be connected with some other stuff, right, but after AdwCleaner find something and remove, it becomes just harmless leftover. I hope. But you're right that icon is from older version of os.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You, or you have a program that creates a shortcut to the desktop. This is Windows XP icon.

If you didn't do it, I would confirm which executable it runs... sounds like it was or is supposed to execute a malware or virus and is just called "Desktop".

At best, it does the call to show your desktop, minimizing everything that you might have. Is it a poor's man work around to hide a bug from an attack or proorly coded software? Maybe...

how can I remove it safely? I didn't make a shortcut to the desktop.

 

I still have the sales invoice haha I bought z87x oc force on 20-1-2014 and then windows 8.1 pro on 21-1-2014 which means I didn't install xp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mohammed2935 said:

how can I remove it safely? I didn't make a shortcut to the desktop.

 

I still have the sales invoice haha I bought z87x oc force on 20-1-2014 and then windows 8.1 pro on 21-1-2014 which means I didn't install xp.

Well, access the properties, you can see where it links to (full path). From there you can see if it points to something fishy or not. This can help you see how far you need to go in your investigation to be sure everything is gone already or not. You can install and run Malwarebytes, just to be sure everything is gone. Then just delete the shortcut, and empty your recycling bin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

From images I noticed that is not a shortcut. Just delete it like any other file.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×