Building a Lab/Learning Workstation

NoPhilter

Looking for some help/guidance on building a lab pc for home.  I am not going to be building complete domain of servers.  Maybe a DC, SCCM, SQL and a couple of Windows 10 devices via VM's.  I would prefer to keep in at  workstation class components versus buying older servers.  Can this be done with workstation class equipment?  Should I look at i9 or AMD's latest choices? I'm not interested in redundancy in power or storage so no need for RAID.  If it all falls apart I can rebuild it and learn some more.  Is there any articles out there already that talks about putting this type of setup together?  I assume there is but I just must not be putting in the right search criteria.  Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Have look at second hand market and dual socket motherboard with xeons, you will get more with your money. It may draw more power in the long ran by if you electricity is pretty cheap is doesn't really matter.

There is nothing wrong with older servers, they just need some cleaning and love and work like a beast. Unless you are willing to spend 1k+ on cpu and 800-1000+ on motherboards and expensive DDR4 memory. The performance gain is mostly in power efficiency in last few years.

Magical Pineapples

44 minutes ago, NoPhilter said:

Well do you need a lot of CPU, GPU or both?

and what budget?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?