Upgrading MXM card

Navjot Singh Minhas

Hello all,

hope you all are doing good.

My laptop’s dedicated mxm module nvidia geforce gt 635m is not working becuase of some hardware problem.

I wante to replace it with newer one, but i was thinking can i like upgrade it above then 635m (if i get same width hieght n all figured out). Is this possible or i can only replace gpu but not upgrade.

2 minutes ago, Navjot Singh Minhas said:

Asus K55VJ

Probably not, even though Asus uses MXM slots they seem to always make the actual card a different shape than how everyone else makes them, it's probably not worth the effort anyways, you could probably just get a used laptop with a 750m or 950m for not too much money anyways.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Pop it out and measure the GPU and ram placement, you could find out what else would be compatible with your cooling system

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, Navjot Singh Minhas said:

so if say i found a gpu with same size as my 635m, will it be compatible with my laptop?

You'd want it to have the same positioning of the GPU and ram for cooling

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Navjot Singh Minhas said:

what about power consumption? will it be a problem?

Most likely no, a 950m is very low power consumption

Primary PC: