Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

slow usb 3 transfer rate

Yongtjunkit

hi, I've been noticing lately(past few hours) that my USB 3 transfer rate it very slow. Below is a screenshot of the transfer rate. The USB drive is a Kingston DT micro 3.1 32GB

image.png.ffaea9677355e996a37f172103aaca49.png

You have lots of small files that you are copying, its going to be very slow copying files due to the slow flash and the over head of copying small files. Seems like a normal slow usb stick to me. Get a ssd if you want it fast.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You have lots of small files that you are copying, its going to be very slow copying files due to the slow flash and the over head of copying small files. Seems like a normal slow usb stick to me. Get a ssd if you want it fast.

3 minutes ago, Atra1n2 said:

It may be due in part to transferring a large number of small files. In these types of transfers you will see no where near your drive's maximum speed. Try transferring a single large file, and compare your speeds in that scenario.

So let’s say if I were to run an .exe file, with small files in the folder, would it be faster to copy the file to a local HDD then run it or run it off the USB drive ? 

1 minute ago, Yongtjunkit said:

So let’s say if I were to run an .exe file, with small files in the folder, would it be faster to copy the file to a local HDD then run it or run it off the USB drive ? 

probalby faster to run off a hdd, usb sticks are normally very slow. They also don't have much endurance normally, so it will die quickly running programs.

1 minute ago, Yongtjunkit said:

I'm not exactly sure if I understand what you're trying to do, but any executable that needs to access files will only run as quickly as the storage medium those files are located on. From your transfers above, it doesn't sound like your USB flash drive is fast, so I would recommend the local HDD or even an SSD if you have one.

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

probalby faster to run off a hdd, usb sticks are normally very slow. They also don't have much endurance normally, so it will die quickly running programs.

14 minutes ago, Atra1n2 said:

I'm not exactly sure if I understand what you're trying to do, but any executable that needs to access files will only run as quickly as the storage medium those files are located on. From your transfers above, it doesn't sound like your USB flash drive is fast, so I would recommend the local HDD or even an SSD if you have one.

Could this potentially means that the usb drive is dying ? Using the usb drive for recovery media ( and a place to store driver install files)