GTX 1070 Gaming X on 2K (2560x1440) @144-165hz

Kevoh
Go to solution Solved by MaximumSid,
3 minutes ago, Kevoh said:

Btw, sick card wish I could buy or make an upgrade too in the near future!

I definitely agree. But in my case, I'm in a budget as we speak so I can't go more than $800 hence the PG278QR is the most out of what I can afford. What do you think if I try running it at 2K (2560x1440p) @ 60hz instead of 144hz OR try 144hz see if it runs well with our GTX 1070?

Thanks!

If you were on a 1080p monitor earlier, 2K will definitely be a big upgrade. A good news for you is that you don't have to cap the framerate at 60Hz, as these monitors have G-sync, which means your experience will be tear, stutter, and lag free. I'd say you should be running at around 70-90 fps with 'high' settings, but all frames will be very smooth. You'd never need to run this monitor locked at 60 Hz. So yes, this monitor is a decent pair with this GPU, even if you don't get 144Hz now, even 75Hz is a BIG upgrade  from 60Hz, so good that you'd definitely feel that 60Hz was MUCH inferior, you can only imaging how awesome 144Hz will be, and when you upgrade your GPU, you'll be able to take advantage of full 144 frames. Again, CS:GO and similar e sports game will be easily handled at 2k@144Hz by a 1070.

Hey guys,

I'm newbie here so hope you can help me out on this one.

So I plan to purchase an ASUS RoG PG278QR gaming monitor and I was hoping that it would work fair on my current graphics card which is an MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X.

I play Dota, PubG, CSGO, Battlefield, and Squad. 

I am not in to ultra settings, maybe some mid to high. (Just wanted to treat myself having a much decent display monitor)

Thank you!

CS:GO, Fortnite, Dota should be fine, don't know about Battlefield. I have a 1070 too, it's not going to perform well at 2K @ >60Hz for even older graphically demanding game. It's strictly 1440p@60Hz at this point.

@MaximumSid

I guess that at this point, the main objective is just having a decent monitor compared to what I have compensating for the graphics settings depending on the games I would like to run. I'm pretty sure upgrading to a 2K (2560x1440) @144-165hz monitor would improve the quality even tho I'm playing mid to high settings. What do you think? 

22 minutes ago, Kevoh said:

Hey guys,

I'm newbie here so hope you can help me out on this one.

So I plan to purchase an ASUS RoG PG278QR gaming monitor and I was hoping that it would work fair on my current graphics card which is an MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X.

I play Dota, PubG, CSGO, Battlefield, and Squad. 

I am not in to ultra settings, maybe some mid to high. (Just wanted to treat myself having a much decent display monitor)

Thank you!

I have the same card I bought for $240 used on eBay. Might I say I have no regrets. This is the best card I've had yet and I play some of the same games you do. I have the MSI Optix MAG24C and although it isn't 2K, I am sure it will do great with your monitor. 144Hz and 1ms response have never been so beautiful.

4 minutes ago, Kevoh said:

@MaximumSid

I guess that at this point, the main objective is just having a decent monitor compared to what I have compensating for the graphics settings depending on the games I would like to run. I'm pretty sure upgrading to a 2K (2560x1440) @144-165hz monitor would improve the quality even tho I'm playing mid to high settings. What do you think? 

Well, if we talk about what I specifically think, I just cancelled my shipped order for one of those Acer XB271HU monitors (1440p @ 144Hz) because I found out that Acer is going to release a 4K @ 144Hz monitor (Acer XV273K) for $900 soon. I know that my new RTX 2080 Ti (MSI Gaming X too btw) won't be able to handle 4K above 60Hz, but I think that even the desktop and scrolling experience on Windows is going to be worth it. I will also be able to game on it at 1440p, as if it was a 1440p@144Hz monitor, so that's a big advantage for me. You could also consider this, because you'll be able to get 4K resolution @ 144Hz for desktop and general crispness, and will be able to play 1440p, or 1080p @ 144Hz with your 1070 too.

8 minutes ago, MaximumSid said:

Well, if we talk about what I specifically think, I just cancelled my shipped order for one of those Acer XB271HU monitors (1440p @ 144Hz) because I found out that Acer is going to release a 4K @ 144Hz monitor (Acer XV273K) for $900 soon. I know that my new RTX 2080 Ti (MSI Gaming X too btw) won't be able to handle 4K above 60Hz, but I think that even the desktop and scrolling experience on Windows is going to be worth it. I will also be able to game on it at 1440p, as if it was a 1440p@144Hz monitor, so that's a big advantage for me. You could also consider this, because you'll be able to get 4K resolution @ 144Hz for desktop and general crispness, and will be able to play 1440p, or 1080p @ 144Hz with your 1070 too.

I definitely agree. But in my case, I'm in a budget as we speak so I can't go more than $800 hence the PG278QR is the most out of what I can afford. What do you think if I try running it at 2K (2560x1440p) @ 60hz instead of 144hz OR try 144hz see if it runs well with our GTX 1070?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Kevoh said:

Thanks!

If you were on a 1080p monitor earlier, 2K will definitely be a big upgrade. A good news for you is that you don't have to cap the framerate at 60Hz, as these monitors have G-sync, which means your experience will be tear, stutter, and lag free. I'd say you should be running at around 70-90 fps with 'high' settings, but all frames will be very smooth. You'd never need to run this monitor locked at 60 Hz. So yes, this monitor is a decent pair with this GPU, even if you don't get 144Hz now, even 75Hz is a BIG upgrade  from 60Hz, so good that you'd definitely feel that 60Hz was MUCH inferior, you can only imaging how awesome 144Hz will be, and when you upgrade your GPU, you'll be able to take advantage of full 144 frames. Again, CS:GO and similar e sports game will be easily handled at 2k@144Hz by a 1070.

Another thing to note is that these Asus and Acer monitors have the SAME panel made by the same company, so you could as well save some money by going with Acer. The only difference is the outer frame and design.

5 minutes ago, MaximumSid said:

Another thing to note is that these Asus and Acer monitors have the SAME panel made by the same company, so you could as well save some money by going with Acer. The only difference is the outer frame and design.

I totally agree, bro. Since I'm into playing e sports games (Which is not high demand games) At the moment, my GPU would nail 1440p @144Hz. And when the time comes I decide playing other AAA games cranking down my settings would probably work as well. 

After I recover from my setback, I'll definitely consider upgrading to a 1080 TI or maybe a 2070. So once a purchase this monitor, I'll go ahead and clock it to 144hz then activate Gsync optimizing all of my games via Nvidia? 

2 hours ago, Kevoh said:

After I recover from my setback, I'll definitely consider upgrading to a 1080 TI or maybe a 2070. So once a purchase this monitor, I'll go ahead and clock it to 144hz then activate Gsync optimizing all of my games via Nvidia? 

Where are you buying from? I see the pricing of GTX 1080 Ti being pretty close to RTX 2080, damn, used GTX1080 Ti's aren't cheap either....on Amazon anyway. Prices vary from country to country so it really depends on what cards and the prices are available to you. In my neck of the woods, the Asus Strix GTX1080 Ti is  within 70USD of the price I'd paid for my Palit RTX 2080 Ti, so it was a no brainer for me.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

12 hours ago, GamerDude said:

Where are you buying from? I see the pricing of GTX 1080 Ti being pretty close to RTX 2080, damn, used GTX1080 Ti's aren't cheap either....on Amazon anyway. Prices vary from country to country so it really depends on what cards and the prices are available to you. In my neck of the woods, the Asus Strix GTX1080 Ti is  within 70USD of the price I'd paid for my Palit RTX 2080 Ti, so it was a no brainer for me.

I live in the Philippines so I (maybe) try doing a hard upgrade next year probably, March 2019. If so, I will sell my I5 6600k, MSI M7 Skylake, and MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X - just to get some funds out it.