Asus - PRIME X370-PRO no POST after RAM speed adjustment

M-Wolf

Hey Guys,

you are basically my last resort, I'm running out of ideas.

So the situation is, I've installed a new Cooler into my system. It took  me a while and everything worked fine. The MB posted into Safe Mode and I could boot with all standard settings. After everything worked with the Standard settings, I wanted to restore my previous settings: CPU @ 3.7 GHz / RAM  @ 3200 Mhz / SMT disabled

I left everything on Auto and have not touched the Voltage.

After these changes, the Board wouldn't POST. So I cleared the CMOS and decided to go step by step, starting with the RAM speed.

So I've set the RAM speed to 3200Mhz without any changes on the CPU frequency. And BAM no POST under no circumstances. No POST code, no beep no signal nothing. Just the fans spinning.. And yes there is speaker plugged into the motherboard, one of the old crappy MB speakers and no I don't have a display for the post code.

What I've tried so far:

-Unplug everything (HDDs, USBs, etc.) except for Graphics Card, Monitor.

-Cleared the CMOS, Removed the CMOS battery

-Unplugged the Power Cable as per Guide to get into Safe POST.

-Tested the RAM sticks as single RAM.

-Loosend the CPU cooler. 

-Tested with the Boxed Cooler.

-Tested with a second (different) graphics card and tested it in all available slots.

Everything without success so far. As my last idea, I've removed the CMOS battery last evening and will try to spin it up again, this evening.

If you've any idea what this could be, please let me know. I don't think it is caused by a fried component, as they were all working fine with these settings before. I'd simply would like to try everything possible before I head out and buy a new MB just for testing... 

The only other thing, that I can think of is that the UEFI files / system somehow got corrupted?! (But I don't have the tools to check that...)

My system specs are:

MB: Asus Prime X370 - Pro https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700 @ Stock? I guess.

RAM: Corsair VegenanceC16 3466 = https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE®-RGB-16GB-(2-x-8GB)-DDR4-DRAM-3466MHz-C16-Memory-Kit/p/CMR16GX4M2C3466C16

HDD: Samsung 850 Evo ( Does not matter, is unplugged atm. )

Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon RX480 (GTX 650 tested)

PSU: Seasonic 620W https://www.komplett.ie/seasonic-m12ii-bronze-evo-edition/80014807/product?channable=e38727.ODAwMTQ4MDc&gclid=CjwKCAjw3qDeBRBkEiwAsqeO7sk3qZoDah2_1Wdvv5J_567fdJZ3mbA5ohCdIIAjLgu-EZdbYYTMhRoCsKsQAvD_BwE

Looking forward to your answers. ?

i had posting issues a week ago when i installed a new cooler in my pc, loosening it made it POST again, but you already tried that... 

is it boot looping? so turning off and then back on again?

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

i had posting issues a week ago when i installed a new cooler in my pc, loosening it made it POST again, but you already tried that... 

is it boot looping? so turning off and then back on again?

Well, no boot loop. It's basically stuck with spinning fans at the same speed constant. It's not turning on / off. I've basically didn't screwed in the cooler and just let it rest on the paste to give it a shot but still no luck...

I already thought that I might have damaged the CPU when screwing the Cooler in to tight the first time... But even that makes no sense as this issue occurred after a RAM speed change and it was working fine before...

1 minute ago, M-Wolf said:

Well, no boot loop. It's basically stuck with spinning fans at the same speed constant. It's not turning on / off. I've basically didn't screwed in the cooler and just let it rest on the paste to give it a shot but still no luck...

I already thought that I might have damaged the CPU when screwing the Cooler in to tight the first time... But even that makes no sense as this issue occurred after a RAM speed change and it was working fine before...

it could have damaged the board, and when you increased the voltages that could have maybe had soemthing to do with it, i don't really know. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

it could have damaged the board, and when you increased the voltages that could have maybe had soemthing to do with it, i don't really know. 

Yea that is the thing. I haven't touched the voltages, I left everything on Auto. Appreciate your help though :) 

2 hours ago, M-Wolf said:

Yea that is the thing. I haven't touched the voltages, I left everything on Auto. Appreciate your help though :) 

you did increase the current at least a bit when you overclocked it so... 

are there any marks or scratches on the board where the cpu cooler was screwed in?

She/Her

25 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

you did increase the current at least a bit when you overclocked it so... 

are there any marks or scratches on the board where the cpu cooler was screwed in?

No, no marks or scratches... :-/

I can see nothing on the board which would indicate a damage... I treated it like a raw egg...

To close this topic, the mainboard is in the RMA process. I'll get a new one.

i have this same board the auto voltage for the CPUSOC is default 0.9 try bumping it up to 1.1 (set the voltage to manual not offset then just type 1.1 in the field that appers below) extra SOC voltage might help stabilize your ram oc and get it to post also dont leave your core voltage on auto this board is really agressive with its over voltage go and set your cpu Vcor to like 1.3 maybe 1.35 if you really lucked out on the sillicone lottery im running one of these boards with a 1700 at 4GHz (1.35V) and SOC voltage of 1.1V

Bugger after writing all of this i've just noticed you've RMA'd the board

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 3:21 PM, F1tch said:

i have this same board the auto voltage for the CPUSOC is default 0.9 try bumping it up to 1.1 (set the voltage to manual not offset then just type 1.1 in the field that appers below) extra SOC voltage might help stabilize your ram oc and get it to post also dont leave your core voltage on auto this board is really agressive with its over voltage go and set your cpu Vcor to like 1.3 maybe 1.35 if you really lucked out on the sillicone lottery im running one of these boards with a 1700 at 4GHz (1.35V) and SOC voltage of 1.1V

Bugger after writing all of this i've just noticed you've RMA'd the board

No worries, besides that the Board isn't posting at all, therefore I didn't get close to the UEFI...

So far the response from Asus is positive, I got a Crosshair Hero VI instead. They've told me that I managed to corrupt the UEFI somehow. Seems like I'm a magician... I can do something almost impossible.. ?‍♂️