Custom Portable "All-In-One" Gaming PC

Lethal Squirrel

I was inspired to build a small portable gaming PC with a built in screen after I found out you could recycle old laptop screen by using a controller board you can buy from ebay for around $40. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121097995165?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

7LShilY.jpg

I have an old laptop and a bunch of spare parts lying around, so I decided to order the controller board and a few other parts to make a portable all in one gaming PC. 

First off I had to choose a case that was small but big enough to fit the 15.4 inch 1280x800 display. 

The case I went with is the Silverstone PS07B Micro ATX mini tower because there is a ton of room behind the motherboard tray to stuff all the LCD components. 

WULUhNe.jpg

The case is 400mm wide and the display is 340mm wide. There should be just enough space if you account for the vents on the side of the case. 

ROPjHXL.jpg

For the sound I got some cheapo USB powered speakers from eBay, and this cable so I can power the speakers in the case without routing a cable to an actual USB slot. I'm going to take the speakers out of the encasing and mount them in the side panel. if there is not enough room behind the motherboard I will mount them on the bottom of the case on the inside. 

hYPOB4w.jpg

OPUD7td.jpg

As for the other parts Im just going with some of my old parts that I have lying around. 

CPU - AMD Phenom II 965 BE

Graphics - Nvidia GTX 470

MOBO - Asus M5A78L-M

RAM - Hynix 2x4GB DDR3 1600 (I think)

PSU - Corsair CX430 

HDD - Caviar Blue 350GB Notebook drive 

Oh and for an added touch a carry handle! 

nNItwzG.jpg

Here is what it should look like. The black dots under the display are buttons for the control board that comes with the LCD kit. 

Hopefully I can drill some holes in the case and find some buttons that will work. 

4VLPADq.png

Just a small update. I got the speakers in today. I ripped them out of their enclosure and they are the perfect size. I have a US quarter on one for a size reference. 

MnKgXKL.jpg

I covered the little PCB in hot glue to protect the circuits inside the case. I also put hot glue on all the solder point so the tiny little wires dont get pulled out on accident. 

ecmFXTl.jpg

I was really impressed with the sound quality until I took them out of the casing. They sound really hallow and tinny. 

Hopefully the sound better in the case. They are kind of more for novelty anyways, and to make it a true "all in one" computer.

I plan on using headphones when I actually use this thing. 

Update...

Just got the LCD controller in the mail. It works perfect! Sorry about the crappy picture I took it with my phone. 

Last part is on the way. The case! 

0m9PWk6.jpg

The case has finally Arrived!! The screen is SUCH a close fit! I got pretty lucky with that one. If the screen was just a few millimeters longer I would have been screwed!
I have a bigger CPU cooler on the way and some sleeved cable extensions. Also the ram I had lying around didn't work so I pulled a stick from my main rig "project storm trooper"
I have new ram on the way. 
Also I basically didn't get to use the back of the otherboard for cable management because all my LCD components have to go back there so the cable management is so-so. 

Enjoy the pics!

0Mg0joh.jpg

1rEqm1y.jpg

4kGX4h9.jpg

The screen isn't actually going in this spot. This is just kind of a mock-up.

tMYfLc7.jpg

3Qp7re6.jpg

Awwwww yeah It's coming together! More progress soon! 

Why that my friend is amazing (Followed)

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

That board and CPU are not compatible, you'll want an AM3 / + board not an FM2.

Other than that this looks incredible.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Looks awesome man!!!

looks like this will be quite an interesting build. hopefully its not to heavy haha

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Actually I typed in the wrong motherboard. I dont know the model number off hand so I just guessed xD

It's actually this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131953

Ahh, that makes more sense.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Omg.... THIS will be epic, stoked, can't wait!!!

This is amazing. Followed.

If for whatever reason you need a 14 inch 1280x800 laptop screen, I have a perfectly working one out of a D630.

This would be even better if you could put the guts out of a UPS or something inside so that you could have like an hour of completely portable gaming on it.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

This is amazing. Followed.

If for whatever reason you need a 14 inch 1280x800 laptop screen, I have a perfectly working one out of a D630.

This would be even better if you could put the guts out of a UPS or something inside so that you could have like an hour of completely portable gaming on it.

I was actually thinking about doing that! I'm probably gonna be pushing the limit of how much stuff I can cram in the case as it is though. Still would be awesome! 

and thanks for the offer. I'm actually kind of afraid this 15.4 inch screen is gonna be slightly too big for the case. 

I was actually thinking about doing that! I'm probably gonna be pushing the limit of how much stuff I can cram in the case as it is though. Still would be awesome! 

and thanks for the offer. I'm actually kind of afraid this 15.4 inch screen is gonna be slightly too big for the case. 

No problem, if you ever need it, we can work something out.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Looks really cool man, good luck!

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

This right here, is why we are part of the PC Master race :D Keep it up, subbed ! :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Update...

Just got the LCD controller in the mail. It works perfect! Sorry about the crappy picture I took it with my phone. 

Last part is on the way. The case! 

I'm a little surprised that it worked anyways this should make for a nice build 

I'm a little surprised that it worked anyways this should make for a nice build 

I was honestly surprised it works too. I was prepared for disappointment.  :lol:

I have a question. The power supply for the controller Board is 12v 4amp. Could I use the computer power supply instead if I sliced in the connector to the 12 volt rail of the PC PSU?

That way I wouldn't have to have 2 separate power cables and I wouldn't have to stuff the LCD power brick in the case.

Thanks to whoever answers : )

Looks sweet. Followed! Upload some video of gameplay on YouTube, maybe, when it's done?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)