Wifi interference from neighbours

BrianLaw5975

I am living in a apartment with multiple units on the same floor. When I saw my internet speed over my 2.4Ghz WiFi drops to a unacceptable level, I discovered there is over 30 wifi routers using the 2.4Ghz band with equal amount of routers on each channels. Is there a way for me to minimize the interference from neighbours WiFi without switching to 5Ghz? Some of my devices does not support 5Ghz.

Are you sure 2.4G congestion is limiting your internet, and not just your internet sucking at the time? Get a cabled connection to test also to verify that 2.4G is that bad.

If so, get 5G in addition and switch what you can to 5G anyway, as that'll take some pressure off 2.4G. Assuming 5G band isn't heavily used too... even if there are a lot of other APs on 2.4, it doesn't mean they're all active all the time, so it is harder to monitor that. You could brute force it, make sure you have strong coverage in your apartment so you pick up your signal, not theirs.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

It's also worth installing  WIFI analyzer app on your phone so you can scan for channels least used along with the frequency they are using so as to help you to pick the best/least used one.

Family is Everything ....But a fast pc with an SSD is NIce

Most AP's automatically select channels, channels are sub frequenties withing the 2,4Ghz like 2,435mhz to 2,450mhz. that is a channel.

But most Routers ot AP's automatically switch channels if there is to much interference, this will cause hiccups in you network. but then that channel gets crowded as wel and other router change over again and it keeps on going.

Try setting a Channel manually like 13, this one does not get selected bij the auto configuration and will maintain not receive as much interferrence.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

Also try wiring up everything you can. With this you take the problem of interference out of the question,

These other people are tripping.  There's not enough airspace in the 2.4GHz ISM band as it only has three non overlapping 20MHz channels.

You'll really need to go to the UNII/5 GHz or other bands like 60 GHz to avoid that interference.  Apartments are really horrible for dense WiFi.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

1 hour ago, beersykins said:

These other people are tripping.  There's not enough airspace in the 2.4GHz ISM band as it only has three non overlapping 20MHz channels.

You'll really need to go to the UNII/5 GHz or other bands like 60 GHz to avoid that interference.  Apartments are really horrible for dense WiFi.

Sure, but you can still select the least populated channel maually to minimise the interference as much as you can. I agree with you that the situation is bad , but still you might as well switch channels because why not? Even tough it may not make the performance great, it could make the performance less afwul.