MyBook Duo + RAID - How to exploit redundancy to recover from a bad idea

A while ago I had the bad idea of formatting the RAID 1 of My Book Duo as exFAT.

Since then I’ve populated the hard drives almost by 70%, and now exFAT is giving me sometimes headaches, leading me to seek for reformatting the unit with a journaled filesystem.

I unfortunately do not have any hard drive to use as second leg so I was looking to  exploit disk redundancy of raid but I’m not sure on how to handle the process, as I want not to break the raid.

What’s the proper way to do it?

1- remove one of the two disks
2- mount it alone to check if data is readable
3- keep it as data source drive
4- mount old drive. this will be a degraded raid drive.

5- wipe and format disk 2 (the one still inside my external device) to a journaled filesystem
6- move data on the freshly formatted drive (disk 1 or source --> disk 2)

8- rebuild the raid from disk 2 onto the

Am I missing something? Since RAID is managed by the box, do I need to take care of RAID meta?

Thanks

You should be able to do that. I’ve done it before with a raid 6. And I’ve gone from one drive to a RAID 0 while maintaining the data on the source drive with IRST too. I’d highly, highly reccommend you back up first...if you don’t have a back up drive nows the time to get one.

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

I don't think you can build a RAID on a disk, that already has some data on it. But I may be wrong here.

You could use some sort of cloud storage as a temporary place to hold files. Amazon S3 for example, where you only pay for the capacity and time you keep your files for.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

22 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

I don't think you can build a RAID on a disk, that already has some data on it. But I may be wrong here.

You could use some sort of cloud storage as a temporary place to hold files. Amazon S3 for example, where you only pay for the capacity and time you keep your files for.

Depends on the system/ software, but often times the answer is a no.