Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Critique Needed On First Build

yoven2k
 Share

This is gonna be my first pc (had 2 laptops in the past), since it's gonna be my first pc, I feel under-confident with my building skills and think its gonna end bad-mediocre but I want the best quality I can get so... Im getting it built at memoryexpress for $75 CAD and tax costs $70 PLUS inflated prices sooo around $1500? Its sad I know. If you have any tips I can still possibly make it by myself and Im waiting for black friday/cyber monday sales.

 
1. Budget & Location

$1300 CAD is my budget for PC and Monitor (just the parts, not inflated, etc mentioned above) with a $10 digital windows 10 key.

2. Aim

Aim is to be able to play most of the recent games with high-ultra settings above 60+ fps, some schoolwork (nothing intensive really), maybe watching movies or videos when bored, but MOSTLY playing the recent games with 60+ fps.

3. Monitors

Gonna get a 60hz, 1ms monitor @1080p resolution and 23.6 inches length for now. Might get a 144hz 1ms monitor in the future (few-several months, not sure) for more competitive games like CS:GO or League of Legends or Rainbow Six Siege.

4. Peripherals

I already have a decent mechanical keyboard (Reddragon Vara red backlight) and great mouse (Logitech G403 wired RGB) and I hope I get a Steelseries QCK Mousepad for the holiday from a friend. Monitor Ive mentioned above; the case is meh, I wish it looked better and all but Im getting it because of the mesh which provides good air flow and lower temps right? I was planning to get something more minimalistic and aesthetically pleasing like the Fractal Design Meshify C or the Phanteks P400(S) but its kind of out of my budget or I could possibly save up a bit more for it, what's your opinion on this?

5. Why are you upgrading?

I'm upgrading from a Hp Pavillion (i7 7500U, Geforce 940mx, 16gb ddr4 2133mhz, 1tb hdd) because whenever I play CS:GO I can barely reach a constant 55-60fps (and frequently fps drops to like 5fps or lower D:), whenever I play Rust I barely reach 20fps on the LOWEST POSSIBLE settings, and you get the drift. I just cant enjoy my games without going lowest settings and just reaching 60fps, I want to play my games at 60+fps CONSTANT and at highest or high-ish settings. I also want a rig that can last 3-5+ years without needing to upgrade the major components, because I will probably spend my money on games or on set up stuff (144hz 1ms monitor) or just save up. 


Yeah thats it. Just need your opinions pretty badly because from my point of view I dont see much of a problem with this build, but maybe from your point of view, it's a bad combination.

*EDIT* Changed the PSU from a Corsair CXM450 to a CXM550 for future proof when I possibly change the GPU to something better.

*EDIT* Changed the CPU Cooler from Hyper 212 EVO to Freezer 33 CO (limited to the CO version because supplier doesn't have the regular version).

Edited by yoven2k
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, yoven2k said:

This is gonna be my first pc (had 2 laptops in the past), since it's gonna be my first pc, I feel under-confident with my building skills and think its gonna end bad-mediocre but I want the best quality I can get so... Im getting it built at memoryexpress for $75 CAD and tax costs $70 PLUS inflated prices sooo around $1500? Its sad I know. If you have any tips I can still possibly make it by myself and Im waiting for black friday/cyber monday sales.

 

 

1. Budget & Location

$1300 CAD is my budget for PC and Monitor (just the parts, not inflated, etc mentioned above) with a $10 digital windows 10 key.

2. Aim

Aim is to be able to play most of the recent games with high-ultra settings above 60+ fps, some schoolwork (nothing intensive really), maybe watching movies or videos when bored, but MOSTLY playing the recent games with 60+ fps.

3. Monitors

Gonna get a 60hz, 1ms monitor @1080p resolution and 23.6 inches length for now. Might get a 144hz 1ms monitor in the future (few-several months, not sure) for more competitive games like CS:GO or League of Legends or Rainbow Six Siege.

4. Peripherals

I already have a decent mechanical keyboard (Reddragon Vara red backlight) and great mouse (Logitech G403 wired RGB) and I hope I get a Steelseries QCK Mousepad for the holiday from a friend. Monitor Ive mentioned above; the case is meh, I wish it looked better and all but Im getting it because of the mesh which provides good air flow and lower temps right? I was planning to get something more minimalistic and aesthetically pleasing like the Fractal Design Meshify C or the Phanteks P400(S) but its kind of out of my budget or I could possibly save up a bit more for it, what's your opinion on this?

5. Why are you upgrading?

I'm upgrading from a Hp Pavillion (i7 7500U, Geforce 940mx, 16gb ddr4 2133mhz, 1tb hdd) because whenever I play CS:GO I can barely reach a constant 55-60fps (and frequently fps drops to like 5fps or lower D:), whenever I play Rust I barely reach 20fps on the LOWEST POSSIBLE settings, and you get the drift. I just cant enjoy my games without going lowest settings and just reaching 60fps, I want to play my games at 60+fps CONSTANT and at highest or high-ish settings. I also want a rig that can last 3-5+ years without needing to upgrade the major components, because I will probably spend my money on games or on set up stuff (144hz 1ms monitor) or just save up. 


Yeah thats it. Just need your opinions pretty badly because from my point of view I dont see much of a problem with this build, but maybe from your point of view, it's a bad combination.

looks fine, if all youre doing is gaming ignore the "go to ryzen instead" comments 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Alexsolo said:

I wouldn't get a CPU cooler cause the processor has one in the box.

Yes, but I've read that it'll be difficult for my CPU to hit max turbo speeds without heating up a lot. So I'm getting that 'good but cheap' Hyper 212 EVO Fan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, yoven2k said:

Yes, but I've read that it'll be difficult for my CPU to hit max turbo speeds without heating up a lot. So I'm getting that 'good but cheap' Hyper 212 EVO Fan.

Yeah use that uhhh cooler ur getting you shouldn’t use the inbox one unless your not really doing intense gaming

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Nogghan said:

looks fine, if all youre doing is gaming ignore the "go to ryzen instead" comments 

Why ignore Ryzen? You can get the 2600 for cheaper (at least in the US), and it is overclockable, which gives it better performance in gaming. 

 

Also, OP, you should look into getting a gold rated psu rather than bronze

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, RainGamma said:

Btw you could get a water cooler one if you wanted.

Kinda expensive though right? Im like above my budget at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RainGamma said:

Btw you could get a water cooler one if you wanted.

Water cooled for a non-overclockable cpu?

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, yoven2k said:

Kinda expensive though right? Im like above my budget at this point.

I know one for 80$ it’s pretty good

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, yoven2k said:

Yes, but I've read that it'll be difficult for my CPU to hit max turbo speeds without heating up a lot. So I'm getting that 'good but cheap' Hyper 212 EVO Fan.

Get a Freezer 33 eSports instead then. The 212 EVO is trash.

 

Tip: don't ignore Ryzen.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

 

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

 

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

 

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

 

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

 


 

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, yoven2k said:

Kinda expensive though right? Im like above my budget at this point.

you could find better deals on GPUs and PSUs that 450w BQ PSU for $70 is terrible sounding 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, lmeneses said:

Water cooled for an non-overclockable cpu?

Oh oops xd

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, lmeneses said:

Why ignore Ryzen? You can get the 2600 for cheaper (at least in the US), and it is overclockable, which gives it better performance in gaming. 

 

Also, OP, you should look into getting a gold rated psu rather than bronze

About the Ryzen 5 2600, I'm not really looking forward to overclocking atm, but maybe in the future. 

Regarding the PSU, what's the difference? And what's a good one you recommend for a reasonable price?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, yoven2k said:

About the Ryzen 5 2600, I'm not really looking forward to overclocking atm, but maybe in the future. 

Regarding the PSU, what's the difference? And what's a good one you recommend for a reasonable price?

Hmm gold+ is good it’s what I use

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, yoven2k said:

About the Ryzen 5 2600, I'm not really looking forward to overclocking atm, but maybe in the future. 

Regarding the PSU, what's the difference? And what's a good one you recommend for a reasonable price?

Just looked at ours. It’s good. I think it will be good for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

But if you ever wanted to upgrade to something better I think you should get like at 750 wat or 650 just in case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, yoven2k said:

Regarding the PSU, what's the difference? And what's a good one you recommend for a reasonable price?

Just stick with the bronze. Canadian electricity (at least in the west, idk about the east) is cheap and you won't get back the additional cost of the gold unit.

2 minutes ago, RainGamma said:

Hmm gold+ is good it’s what I use

No brand provided? 

 

1 minute ago, RainGamma said:

Just looked at ours. It’s good. I think it will be good for you.

You haven't even provided a model, yet exclaim it's good?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

 

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

 

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

 

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

 

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

 


 

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RainGamma said:

But if you ever wanted to upgrade to something better I think you should get like at 750 wat or 650 just in case.

750W is a waste of money. 650 isn't needed except if you have Vega or HEDT.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

 

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

 

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

 

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

 

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

 


 

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, yoven2k said:

About the Ryzen 5 2600, I'm not really looking forward to overclocking atm, but maybe in the future. 

Regarding the PSU, what's the difference? And what's a good one you recommend for a reasonable price?

Ocing will allow your PC to last longer with gaming, so its not a bad idea to at least get an unlocked processor. Also, a psu's rating determines its efficiency. This means a gold rated PSU uses the power it pulls more effectively by not wasting as much, and as we know, energy produces heat. So the unused energy drawn from a bronze rated psu disperses, which leads to heat

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

 

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

 

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

 

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

 

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

 


 

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, yoven2k said:

Gotcha https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX68965 

Also, any information on how much better it is than the Hyper 212 EVO?

No, that's the TR version and won't fit on standard PCs.

 

You'll want the the standard Freezer 33 if you want it to fit.

 

@seoz would know more about this stuff.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

 

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

 

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

 

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

 

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

 


 

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay great, thanks for the help everyone, I'm probably switching the Hyper 212 with https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX66399 (Arctic Cooling Freezer 33 CO) I know it says 'CO' but it's my only choice since there aren't any other versions of it from memoryexpress. At least it'll last longer. I also changed the PSU to a CXM550 Bronze, for more future proofness when I eventually upgrade my GPU or other components. Though I'll be reading a bit about the differences between Hyper 212 with the Freezer 33.

Please if you have any more opinions on this, let me know <3. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, yoven2k said:

from memoryexpress.

Why limit yourself to only MemEx tho? Amazon has free shipping nationwide over $35, which the Freezer is, and in most metro areas it's free two day shipping.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

 

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

 

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

 

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

 

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

 


 

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×