Upgrade WINDOWS 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional

johntwoods

I am needing to upgrade my legitimate version of Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional so I can utilize at 16gb of extra RAM I installed.

Total RAM is 32gb, but Windows 7 Home Premium ceiling is 16gb.

So, I am trying to find my options for upgrading specifically to Windows 7 Professional.  I would very much like to not have to do a clean install, as I have some many pieces of software installed and set up properly for use.

Anytime Upgrade doesn't seem to be much help.  

What are my options in regards to what I am looking to do?  Any guidance on what to purchase and where to do this properly would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

You'd need Windows 7 Professional install media.

You can download the iso file from Microsoft provided you have a valid Windows 7 key, but it doesn't seem to accept OEM(prebuilt system) keys.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Thanks folks.

If my activation key says OEM in it, then it is OEM I assume.  And if that's the case, I have no option to upgrade without a full re-install?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:55 AM, johntwoods said:

I am needing to upgrade my legitimate version of Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional so I can utilize at 16gb of extra RAM I installed.

Total RAM is 32gb, but Windows 7 Home Premium ceiling is 16gb.

So, I am trying to find my options for upgrading specifically to Windows 7 Professional.  I would very much like to not have to do a clean install, as I have some many pieces of software installed and set up properly for use.

Anytime Upgrade doesn't seem to be much help.

What are my options in regards to what I am looking to do?  Any guidance on what to purchase and where to do this properly would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Windows Anytime Upgrade a.k.a. WAU was a feature in Windows 7 that requires you to buy a product key from Microsoft that will allow an upgrade without losing your files or programs. However, MS does not sell that anymore hence why it won't be of help to you. See: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/95744-windows-anytime-upgrade-how.html

You're only option at this point is to re-install using a Windows 7 Professional product key and installation media. Then you install your programs.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti