Linus's Phone Number Leaked on Livestream

CapnCrunch

I'm surprised this wasn't posted on the forum, but since this section is marked off-topic, it should fit perfectly. But if you happened to tune into the livestream this week, Linus ended up making a small comment on how he was selling his motorcycle on Craigslist. Some crafty user decided to investigate and with the details that Linus gave about his bike, he was able to find his post which had Linus's personal phone number. Of course this user decided to post this information on the Twitch chat and in a few minutes, some people decided to make some very awkward calls to Linus while on the livestream.

Just goes to show how a little info can lead to revealing some personal details thanks to the powers of the internet.

Now of course, Linus has no choice but to get a new number. Kind of sucks, but it's necessary in this situation.

--

Linus, if you end up coming across this, I hope the viewers don't give you too much trouble and you end up selling your bike.

I doubt I'll need to get involved in this thread but I would like to remind everyone of section 9 of the forums code of conduct;

You may not post any form of real life information of any user (except yourself) unless the user has first given permission by express written consent to the forum administrator. Examples of real life information include name, address, and phone numbers.

Agreed, to bad the internet is full of trolls :(

Does this community seriously have nothing better to do than call Linus?

The act of calling him on its own is very inapropriate.

I just want to put my 2 cents in here. Yes Linus did mention it but guys he was trying to sell his bike not inviting everyone to prank him. He is one of the best blokes you will ever meet and to share that information with everyone on twitch chat to be honest was an extremely low act. Now not only does he have to change his number, he now has to let all his friends know what happened and why he needed a new number. This takes alot of time especially if there is business contacts on that number or even heaven for bid that he has to change all his business cards and details.

If you wanted to buy his bike than that's ok and i am sure he would be interested in selling it to you.

HOWEVER Quite frankly i was rather disgusted with what was clearly an abuse of taking his information and sharing it for no other reason than to be fools. This community should be thankful for what he has done and to stoop to such a low act is absolutely deplorable.

Rant Over

Whoever did that...not cool.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

What's done is done, it was totally unacceptable that someone would do this, but not everyone in this world shares the same values as us. I highly discourage anyone from continuing to call Linus, or give out any numbers or personal information.

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

This is not cool and this act is unacceptable. The person should apologize to him and to make up for it in some way.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

This isn't cool and the idiot that did this should be barred for using twitch and I just hope the fool that didn't isn't here on the forums if bar them. I haven't seen the Live stream yet as i am from the UK and usually watch the Youtube Archive today. But I assume it hasn't been upload yet due to the very reason of this Topic/posting.

MB: Gigabyte Auros Gaming 7 Z370 Cpu: Intel i7 8700K @ 4.8ghz Gpu: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming OC 8GB Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz  Psu: Corsair RM1000i 

Ssd's: WD Green nvme m.2 512gb (boot), 480gb (Steam), 480gb (Uplay) and 480gb (Origin)  Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H115i 280mm

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 900D Monitors 1: Asus pb287q @ 75hz

Linus yet to learn the lessons taught on the HBO show "The Wire", burner phones Linus, burner phones. Linus is also learning if you are an internet personality you're going to be trolled by the audience, its how it works in this day and age, get with the program Linus, on-line way too much and you're personal life will be exposed, or more exposed than you had though or not thought about.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

This isn't cool and the idiot that did this should be barred for using twitch and I just hope the fool that didn't isn't here on the forums if bar them. I haven't seen the Live stream yet as i am from the UK and usually watch the Youtube Archive today. But I assume it hasn't been upload yet due to the very reason of this Topic/posting.
Well, he deleted his CL post and the number was exposed on Twitch chat and maybe Twitter, neither of which will be shown on the livestream. There were some tech difficulties that caused the stream to be interrupted twice so that probably has more to do with it.

Things happen...I would just hope people leave his information private. For as much as Linus does, now he has one more thing to worry about. But there will always be people out there like that, sad to say.

AMD Radeon R9 290X / AMD FX-8320 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Samsung 830 128GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB / Corsair HX 850W / BitFenix Shinobi XL / CPU & GPU Watercooled - Thick Triple 360 Rad

Everyone hating on the guy who put it in Twitch chat, yeah it was a dick move but this is the internet, its what happens. Linus is a celebrity now and this is what happens to celebrities such as Taylor Swift etc, their information is put in magazines for us all.

I'm not saying what the person did is right but to be honest, there was probably actually 100+ people doing the exact same thing. Linus will take this as a learning curve to shelter his personal life a bit more by creating a private email address specifically just to sell his bike.

I just want to put my 2 cents in here. Yes Linus did mention it but guys he was trying to sell his bike not inviting everyone to prank him. He is one of the best blokes you will ever meet and to share that information with everyone on twitch chat to be honest was an extremely low act. Now not only does he have to change his number, he now has to let all his friends know what happened and why he needed a new number. This takes alot of time especially if there is business contacts on that number or even heaven for bid that he has to change all his business cards and details.

If you wanted to buy his bike than that's ok and i am sure he would be interested in selling it to you.

HOWEVER Quite frankly i was rather disgusted with what was clearly an abuse of taking his information and sharing it for no other reason than to be fools. This community should be thankful for what he has done and to stoop to such a low act is absolutely deplorable.

Rant Over

Just thinking about that - I wonder what the consequences of violating the CraigsList ToS are..

Damn trolls. Not cool if there was an emergency or something and it wasn't like they talk to him.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Rant Over

Agree completely with you, one thing is to call him and "prank" the live stream, but to post the number was kind of taking it too far.

Even if it was kind of Linus fault there... Come on I know some of the viewers/followers are young but we are mostly adults and should act like ones.

Main Rig: i7 3770k, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LP, MSI MPower Z77, Corsair H60, MSI GTX 780 LightningI, Ultra X4 1050Watts, 128gb SSD, 4tb Storage.

Lappy: ASUS G46VW i7 3630QM,  16Gb Corsair Vengeance, 128gb SSD, 500gb HDD, 1600x900 Screen. 

Linus yet to learn the lessons taught on the HBO show "The Wire"' date=' burner phones Linus, burner phones. Linus is also learning if you are an internet personality you're going to be trolled by the audience, its how it works in this day and age, get with the program Linus, on-line way too much and you're personal life will be exposed, or more exposed than you had though or not thought about.[/quote']

​Exactly. Linus should have a separate phone for business/family and a cheap means of contacting people that could expose his number without putting his main information at risk!

Main Rig: i7 3770k, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LP, MSI MPower Z77, Corsair H60, MSI GTX 780 LightningI, Ultra X4 1050Watts, 128gb SSD, 4tb Storage.

Lappy: ASUS G46VW i7 3630QM,  16Gb Corsair Vengeance, 128gb SSD, 500gb HDD, 1600x900 Screen. 

Poor Linus:(

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Now he has to get a new number. That really sucks.

I'm going to say it...13 year olds on the internet.
There should be an age where you are allowed to use the internet, and it's definitely older than 13

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

This is not cool and this act is unacceptable. The person should apologize to him and to make up for it in some way.
You can't make up for such stupidity

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

true this is irreversible to him. Maybe the person could pay him back the mobile fees that were caused in this incident?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I'm going to say it...13 year olds on the internet.
Looks like I'll be gone from this forum :/ Unless 14 year olds are acceptable.

Completely disgusting, people have a right to privacy ! probably have to get new business cards as well ect I hope he has a business number as well so he doesn't have to go through all that