Samsung 860 EVO 500gb Windows 10 freeze on boot

NateCompProblems

Hello,

I have recently had my hard drive crash, so I updated to the samsung 860 evo 500gb SSD, but now I am having issues even getting my computer to boot. At first, I couldn't even install windows 10 onto it, because my computer would freeze, so I put the SSD into my other computer and installed Win10. Once installed, I threw it back in my "problem" laptop, and it doesn't boot. It gets to the windows logo with the spinning wheel, and freezes. I can boot into windows if I run it in safemode, but not normal mode.

Yes, I have AHCI set for SATA settings in BIOS. But in the Samsung Magician program, it says that AHCI is disabled? Also Samsung Magician says that there are no compatibility issues.

5 minutes ago, NateCompProblems said:

Hello,

I have recently had my hard drive crash, so I updated to the samsung 860 evo 500gb SSD, but now I am having issues even getting my computer to boot. At first, I couldn't even install windows 10 onto it, because my computer would freeze, so I put the SSD into my other computer and installed Win10. Once installed, I threw it back in my "problem" laptop, and it doesn't boot. It gets to the windows logo with the spinning wheel, and freezes. I can boot into windows if I run it in safemode, but not normal mode.

Yes, I have AHCI set for SATA settings in BIOS. But in the Samsung Magician program, it says that AHCI is disabled? Also Samsung Magician says that there are no compatibility issues.

That is a big no when you install windows 90% of the times it has to be installed on the machine that it is meant to run on since  it downloads drivers for the machine that it got installed into not the one you are passing it into

1 minute ago, Lordclouds said:

That is a big no when you install windows 90% of the times it has to be installed on the machine that it is meant to run on since  it downloads drivers for the machine that it got installed into not the one you are passing it into

Get windows into a usb connected to your pc format the ssd and install it there 

2 hours ago, Lordclouds said:

Get windows into a usb connected to your pc format the ssd and install it there 

Oh. well I attempted to install Win10 on the SSD via USB media creation tool. But like I said, it froze during installation

Use the Windows Media Creation Tool for starters.  Install the SSD into the machine that it is going to stay in and disconnect ALL other drives in that machine with the new SSD.  When running the Creation Tool, be sure to remove ALL previous partitions from the SSD.  Once that is complete, then go on to install Windows by creating a single, new partition.  Once the new partition is created the install tool will format and install Windows into that partition. 

Never put the drive in to a different machine and install Windows to it only to remove the drive and put it into a second machine.  That is one of the most common mistakes that people make when install Windows on to a new drive.  When you install Windows on to a new drive, it "mates" the drive to the motherboard with various types of data and information.  Removing the drive after installing Windows and putting it in to a different machine really confuses the hell out of Windows and you will always get all sorts and kinds of screwy error messages when trying to boot the machine.

Once the new Windows install is up and running, then you can feel free to reconnect your other drives.  It just works a LOT better when you do the Windows install this way.  Experience is a good teacher.  Been there, seen that, done that, got the T-shirt.

9 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Use the Windows Media Creation Tool for starters.  Install the SSD into the machine that it is going to stay in and disconnect ALL other drives in that machine with the new SSD.  When running the Creation Tool, be sure to remove ALL previous partitions from the SSD.  Once that is complete, then go on to install Windows by creating a single, new partition.  Once the new partition is created the install tool will format and install Windows into that partition. 

Never put the drive in to a different machine and install Windows to it only to remove the drive and put it into a second machine.  That is one of the most common mistakes that people make when install Windows on to a new drive.  When you install Windows on to a new drive, it "mates" the drive to the motherboard with various types of data and information.  Removing the drive after installing Windows and putting it in to a different machine really confuses the hell out of Windows and you will always get all sorts and kinds of screwy error messages when trying to boot the machine.

Once the new Windows install is up and running, then you can feel free to reconnect your other drives.  It just works a LOT better when you do the Windows install this way.  Experience is a good teacher.  Been there, seen that, done that, got the T-shirt.

This was my first attempt, and it ended up with Windows freezing on black screen after MCT installed via USB. Anyway, I went back through and deleted all the partitions and tried it. Same thing. Once it got finished with installing from the USB, it asked to restart. It did that, did the spinning wheel, got to 8%, then black screen. I’m fairly certain it is frozen, as this is what it has done previously.

1 minute ago, NateCompProblems said:

This was my first attempt, and it ended up with Windows freezing on black screen after MCT installed via USB. Anyway, I went back through and deleted all the partitions and tried it. Same thing. Once it got finished with installing from the USB, it asked to restart. It did that, did the spinning wheel, got to 8%, then black screen. I’m fairly certain it is frozen, as this is what it has done previously.

Okee Dokee, so we did that.  Lemme think a minute.  I think my next step would be to put the new SSD into a different machine as a secondary drive.  Not the primary drive.  If you have a second machine to play with that has a CD-Rom in it, then just disconnect the CD-Rom and connect the SSD to those cables.  At this point doesn't matter if the drive is formatted or not, that is what we're going to check.  Once the drive is connected, then turn on the machine and let it boot as it regularly would.  Once the machine is booted, then you can use the file manager to check if you have access to the SSD.

For the time being, lets figure the SSD is shown but doesn't behave correctly.  When I find a problem like this there are several tools that you can use to play with the drive to figure out what is going goofy with it.  I use the AOMEI Partition Assistant software to help me with the types of problems and it works great as far as I am concerned so I would recommend that you give it a shot to see if it can help you too.

https://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html

This software will allow you to delete, create, format, merge, remove, etc., all sorts of things with your drive.  There is other software out there but this is the one that I use.  Assuming that this does what you need it to, great.  Then when repairs are done (assuming there are repairs), then you should be able to remove the drive and put it back into the first machine and give the Creation Tool another shot.  One thing to remember with the AOMEI software, when you give it a task to do, don't forget to go up in the top left corner where it says "APPLY" to initiate the function that you want it to do.  Sometimes, depending on the software, it has to complete tasks A and B before it can move on to task C.

Good Luck.

13 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Okee Dokee, so we did that.  Lemme think a minute.  I think my next step would be to put the new SSD into a different machine as a secondary drive.  Not the primary drive.  If you have a second machine to play with that has a CD-Rom in it, then just disconnect the CD-Rom and connect the SSD to those cables.  At this point doesn't matter if the drive is formatted or not, that is what we're going to check.  Once the drive is connected, then turn on the machine and let it boot as it regularly would.  Once the machine is booted, then you can use the file manager to check if you have access to the SSD.

For the time being, lets figure the SSD is shown but doesn't behave correctly.  When I find a problem like this there are several tools that you can use to play with the drive to figure out what is going goofy with it.  I use the AOMEI Partition Assistant software to help me with the types of problems and it works great as far as I am concerned so I would recommend that you give it a shot to see if it can help you too.

https://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html

This software will allow you to delete, create, format, merge, remove, etc., all sorts of things with your drive.  There is other software out there but this is the one that I use.  Assuming that this does what you need it to, great.  Then when repairs are done (assuming there are repairs), then you should be able to remove the drive and put it back into the first machine and give the Creation Tool another shot.  One thing to remember with the AOMEI software, when you give it a task to do, don't forget to go up in the top left corner where it says "APPLY" to initiate the function that you want it to do.  Sometimes, depending on the software, it has to complete tasks A and B before it can move on to task C.

Good Luck.

Unfortunately my other machine is my backup laptop... and It’s a brand new ssd, so it shouldn’t have any problems. (Not to mention it worked fine when I had it in the backup laptop to install windows10 on it)

Hey, we gave it a shot and did our best.  I'm fresh out of new ideas.

What issue you had with previous drive? This sounds like issue is on laptop mobo or internal SATA conenctor. Two drives are having issues which you don't get when having drive on another laptop.

And for all saying installing Windows on another machine is no-no, that not the case. Win10 is very good with drivers, and even older Window'ses could be installed on another PC as installer only installs basic PnP drivers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

What issue you had with previous drive? This sounds like issue is on laptop mobo or internal SATA conenctor. Two drives are having issues which you don't get when having drive on another laptop.

And for all saying installing Windows on another machine is no-no, that not the case. Win10 is very good with drivers, and even older Window'ses could be installed on another PC as installer only installs basic PnP drivers.

The old drive had the issue where every single little process that was opened maxed the CPU to 100% (in task manager). I suspect (not sure if it is correct) that there was some block in the HDD that couldn’t read or write to/from. The new drive doesn’t present that problem when I boot into safe mode, it just has the issue booting into normal windows