Freesync on an Nvidia Build

In the market for a new monitor, and after watching Linus' video about using Freesync with an Nvidia card, all I could think about was how the GSync tax on monitors really isnt worth it..

So I had an idea to apply it to my build, but I'm just wondering what other peoples opinions are on this before I sink any time / money into this:

My machine is an i7 paired with a GTX1080, so I cant use the APU method .. but I was thinking, what if I got a second hand RX460 or something cheap for say €40 ( about $50 )

Could that work the same way as in Linus' video? 

Thanks for any input, and sorry if its a stupid question

Theoretically yes but it is a pretty janky solution. I recommend just turning on v-sync to try and reduce the tearing. It won't be as good as a g-sync or freesync monitor but it will be less hassle than going through the whole configuration of setting it up and with the money you spend on an old GPU, your best off saving it to get a better display with G-Sync built in. :)

It all seems very dodgy. You buy FreeSync panel, then 2nd GPU just for that, then do some questionable configurations to make it work. All in all I would spend some more cash on a Gsync panel and be 100% sure that it works instead of buying 2nd GPU and praying to whatever higher being you believe in for it to work with FreeSync. 

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Thanks for the replies guys,

Yeah it's all very Janky .. but I honestly just felt more justified to spend an extra $50 on a second card, rather than an extra $100 - 200 in most cases for a monitor.

Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get that monitor ¯\_(ツ)_/¯