Linus never needed to pay a single cent...

jojomoore
1 minute ago, Upierczi said:

I think of it is as an exchange. You're using a Windows license and in exchange they need to test and get some sweet data out of your use. Of course, you don't use it in production, but for casual, or home use it's not that terrible of a choice, especially when faced between "legitimate" keys being sold on Reddit, DSP keys (That are not correct either because of their license) and the prices at the Microsoft Store for the OS. When you're a power user and you want to meticously test out new features, OS changes and differences in upcoming developments it's also beneficial for you... In any other scenario the drawback is exactly the one you mention; you're just a guinea pig, but a guinea pig with legitimate Windows 10.

Why are people even risking it. A Windows license is a purchase that will last you for years to come as you can register it to your Microsoft account and migrate it over to your next system a few years down the line. We're not talking about power users here, OP is suggesting everyone and their dogs to switch over to these Insider Builds. This includes the non tech savvy, users who expect things to just work; and you're less likely to experience that with an Insider build. I don't see the benefits of doing that for a regular user. If you're going to cheap out on software, it's going to bite you in the arse. Plain and simple. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

22 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

If you're going to cheap out on software, it's going to bite you in the arse. Plain and simple. 

That's true, but people don't want to pay the full license price for Windows 10. Some people simply can't, other thinks there is no reason to, and some people believe it's simple as a scam (That it's much cheaper cost wise to produce Windows, so getting a license it's a way of overpaying for something that has less inherent value) In fact, I've spoken with people who deem paying for a license "stupid" because they don't realize what's involved, nor the implications of using unlicensed, or hacked software on the OS level. Ideally people at home, who aren't willing or interested to shill out money for a Windows license should be using any of the Linux distros, and simply access to Office via Office 365 and other web services like Google Docs, if they need to. For gamers, Windows is still a must, but running it with a pirated version and software as a newbie you're running against time until you either get a serious virus (like a trojan) or someone pulls a plug somewhere and you get ransomware. (I wouldn't expect anyone who pirates windows, and probably pirates even the antivirus to be that safe, it's a race against time until some bank, steam or even a valuable account is gone)

BTK(Back To the Keyboard)

On 10/6/2018 at 1:11 PM, Upierczi said:

That's true, but people don't want to pay the full license price for Windows 10. Some people simply can't, other thinks there is no reason to, and some people believe it's simple as a scam (That it's much cheaper cost wise to produce Windows, so getting a license it's a way of overpaying for something that has less inherent value) In fact, I've spoken with people who deem paying for a license "stupid" because they don't realize what's involved, nor the implications of using unlicensed, or hacked software on the OS level. Ideally people at home, who aren't willing or interested to shill out money for a Windows license should be using any of the Linux distros, and simply access to Office via Office 365 and other web services like Google Docs, if they need to. For gamers, Windows is still a must, but running it with a pirated version and software as a newbie you're running against time until you either get a serious virus (like a trojan) or someone pulls a plug somewhere and you get ransomware. (I wouldn't expect anyone who pirates windows, and probably pirates even the antivirus to be that safe, it's a race against time until some bank, steam or even a valuable account is gone)

And, on top of this, Microsoft collects data on whether or not you have a licensed OS. So, by using an unlicensed one, you are blatantly ignoring Microsoft.  Hell yeah, they know. Great.

You know what? If you really want to have the guilt of a "legit" license, press Windows + R and type the following:

SLMGR -REARM

Then hit enter. Yay! Now you have a "legit" license activated! Except you don't. All this does is removes the watermark and tells windows that it's activated. This is what the "legit" licenses do. You pay money to trick the system into thinking it's licensed. >:( Happy now?

3 minutes ago, jojomoore said:

You know what? If you really want to have the guilt of a "legit" license, press Windows + R and type the following:

SLMGR -REARM

Then hit enter. Yay! Now you have a "legit" license activated! Except you don't. All this does is removes the watermark and tells windows that it's activated. This is what the "legit" licenses do. You pay money to trick the system into thinking it's licensed. >:( Happy now?

? I can imagine some people with that thought pattern.

On 10/6/2018 at 12:34 PM, jojomoore said:

The thing that most people don't know is this:

Microsoft is basically giving away free copies of Windows 10, and, there's no catch.

All you have to do is become a Windows insider.

Now, I know what you're thinking:

Don't you have to pay money for that?

The answer is simply: No. You don't.

Just go to insider.windows.com, scroll down, and click "BECOME AN INSIDER TODAY >".

Then you're done.

I'm going to include a copy of Win10 Insider as soon as possible.

While I get that put up, someone could try to do the same... or not. I honestly don't care. Well, see you then!

Sorry no, you are still using an trial version of Windows 10.

Beside that:

• Every week or so you get an update.. several GB of download each time.... You better have unlimited internet, and fast connection. Trust me, it will be annoying, real fast.
  • If you don't update, then it quickly expires, and when when it expire..  you are locked out in a way, with reboots every hour or so, until you update.
  • Microsoft highly recommends, and I do (from experience) to not use it as your main OS. I do, but I like many Insiders that does, have a specific setup with constant backups
  • You must be ready to re-install the OS, and expect that the update system fails to work, and you'll need to clean install to the latest build, at any time.
  • You live and breath bugs from small annoyances, to constant error messages, to system crash.
  • You can be part of A/B or A/B/C testing, and you are forced in a setting that you may or may not like, awaiting your reaction via the Feedback Hub
  • Expect data loss... and I don't mean the bug that has happen, I mean, "Oh I don't like your configuration... deleting all files, including myself... yes... I am suicidal Dave"

Insiders gets builds "as they happen". They are internal builds selected, checked that it works to some level, and if nothing disastrous is found from that quick validation, it is shipped to Insiders.

So it is not for everyone.

20 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Sorry no, you are still using an trial version of Windows 10.

Beside that:

• Every week or so you get an update.. several GB of download each time.... You better have unlimited internet, and fast connection. Trust me, it will be annoying, real fast.
  • If you don't update, then it quickly expires, and when when it expire..  you are locked out in a way, with reboots every hour or so, until you update.
  • Microsoft highly recommends, and I do (from experience) to not use it as your main OS. I do, but I like many Insiders that does, have a specific setup with constant backups
  • You must be ready to re-install the OS, and expect that the update system fails to work, and you'll need to clean install to the latest build, at any time.
  • You live and breath bugs from small annoyances, to constant error messages, to system crash.
  • You can be part of A/B or A/B/C testing, and you are forced in a setting that you may or may not like, awaiting your reaction via the Feedback Hub
  • Expect data loss... and I don't mean the bug that has happen, I mean, "Oh I don't like your configuration... deleting all files, including myself... yes... I am suicidal Dave"

Insiders gets builds "as they happen". They are internal builds selected, checked that it works to some level, and if nothing disastrous is found from that quick validation, it is shipped to Insiders.

So it is not for everyone.

If you think that it is a trial, think again.

During the installation process, Windows asks you which copy you want to download, but will never ask for a license. I went through the installation process on a VM, and there is no text box for a license code. None. So twiddle your thumbs while you install a perfectly legal version of that Windows 10 Pro you always wanted, for free. Oh, and I forgot to mention: In the OS menu, you can select a non-Insider build (No N) or an Insider Build (With an N). Remember that when you start typing a mean comment about "He has to use a regular build! He has to use a regular build!". An non-activated version of Windows is not a regular version/build of Windows. That's why they ask for a product key before the installation starts. You get a different OS depending on whether or not you enter a key. A different build. You can try calling me out on this one, but the evidence points to the fact that the Insider Installer is a legal, safe, and easy way to get any copy of Windows 10 for free. A community build that can be run on a workbench computer without the hassle of monthly fees or licenses that are tied to hardware rather than software. Windows 10's version of Windows Buisness Licensing. Oh wait, they have that too. Sadly, it requires monthly fees. Insider Installers don't. Which would you choose? Getting a legal version, or running the risk of going to prison? That should end it.

On 10/6/2018 at 11:37 AM, firelighter487 said:

insider previews are beta software. running beta software on systems that a business uses to operate is a really bad idea. 

The very first line of your signature is:

DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!

So I did my research. I found out a ton of info. Most notably, Microsoft includes stuff in the production line, and Insiders don't even know about it. And having your OS shine with untouched features is worse than having partly tested, functioning features that run well on the OS. So, that statement would be incorrect.

Just now, jojomoore said:

The very first line of your signature is:

DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!

So I did my research. I found out a ton of info. Most notably, Microsoft includes stuff in the production line, and Insiders don't even know about it. And having your OS shine with untouched features is worse than having partly tested, functioning features that run well on the OS. So, that statement would be incorrect.

google what beta software is. there's your answer. 

She/Her

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

google what beta software is. there's your answer. 

Guess what? The internet can be wrong. Remember how Abraham Lincoln said the internet never lies? Oh wait, he wasn't alive when the internet was created. Don't believe everything you see online. Especially not from Google. They're private, right? Wrong. Remember: They find where you live based on your IP address. And that info is stored on their servers. Boom.

• 4 months later...
On 10/6/2018 at 1:33 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Clean of viruses is one thing, knowing that your downloading software that hasn't been thoroughly tested for stability and reliability is another. Remember, you're the guinea pigs that are testing for that. 

Actually, you aren't the first to the builds. Developers will thoroughly check the system, and while there might be some itty-bitty bugs here and there, nothing harmful is left inside when it gets to insiders. So yeah, it has been tested, deal with it.

On 10/6/2018 at 1:44 PM, Upierczi said:

I think of it is as an exchange. You're using a Windows license and in exchange they need to test and get some sweet data out of your use. Of course, you don't use it in production, but for casual, or home use it's not that terrible of a choice, especially when faced between "legitimate" keys being sold on Reddit, DSP keys (That are not correct either because of their license) and the prices at the Microsoft Store for the OS. When you're a power user and you want to meticously test out new features, OS changes and differences in upcoming developments it's also beneficial for you... In any other scenario the drawback is exactly the one you mention; you're just a guinea pig, but a guinea pig with legitimate Windows 10.

Like what was said in this post, you're only the guinea pigs giving them data because you're using a free, "Test 3" version of Windows. It's a better choice than getting a supposedly legit "lisenes" for Windows. And I copied and pasted that, FYI. So Microsoft gets data, you get Windows, everybody's happy. It's a win/win/Windows. ? But I do prefer Ubuntu over Windows, so... eh. Sadly, I thought I could get Ubuntu on my Surface go: I cannot. God bless America, Microsoft! Why do you have to make this so hard?!

-- Don't necro old thread. No valuable information added -- Locked