Linus never needed to pay a single cent...

jojomoore

The thing that most people don't know is this:

Microsoft is basically giving away free copies of Windows 10, and, there's no catch.

All you have to do is become a Windows insider.

Now, I know what you're thinking:

Don't you have to pay money for that?

The answer is simply: No. You don't.

Just go to insider.windows.com, scroll down, and click "BECOME AN INSIDER TODAY >".

Then you're done.

Turns out I can't upload the .iso file because it's over 20MB. :P

just to get buggy insider builds that could distort the benchmark results? No thanks.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

There's no catch? I wouldn't say that.

Data collection in insider builds is full force.

And in the context of Linus, you could never use an insider build for benchmarks (not that you said they do, but the title of this thread should be addressed).

this feels like an ad

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Lazaro said:

or just buy a legit license for like 10$ on some website

Windows 10 Insider preview is official and doesn't require a license. :P

4 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

this feels like an ad

inb4 user is discovered to be Microsoft AI trying to push for more telemetry data.

6 minutes ago, King Poet said:

There's no catch? I wouldn't say that.

Data collection in insider builds is full force.

And in the context of Linus, you could never use an insider build for benchmarks (not that you said they do, but the title of this thread should be addressed).

Yes, that is because they want you to test different hardware and see how it performs.

1 minute ago, jojomoore said:

Yes, that is because they want you to test different hardware and see how it performs.

I know. But it's a catch when you said there was none, so I am addressing that.

It would be pointless to have the insider program and NOT collect tons of data.

2 minutes ago, jojomoore said:

Windows 10 Insider preview is official and doesn't require a license. :P

It's also "bleeding edge" and depending on the ring you're in, you may as well be a pre-alpha tester.

Being a Windows Insider is not for everyone, especially not in a business environment.

They need their benchmark computers to be stable, as you can never know when something will be terribly broken with a given insider build that may skew their results (for better or worse), hence why they cannot use it to run their benchmarks.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

insider previews are beta software. running beta software on systems that a business uses to operate is a really bad idea. 

Windows 10 previews are tested by the developers on virtual machines to make sure a version of Windows doesn't destroy the computer. Then they go to the insiders to talk about new features. I myself use Windows Insider Previews as my go-to Windows OSes because they are so easy to use and don't require a license.

56 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

It's also "bleeding edge" and depending on the ring you're in, you may as well be a pre-alpha tester.

Being a Windows Insider is not for everyone, especially not in a business environment.

They need their benchmark computers to be stable, as you can never know when something will be terribly broken with a given insider build that may skew their results (for better or worse), hence why they cannot use it to run their benchmarks.

Enterprise Previews address that by making sure it's stable before it becomes a ring, and they're designed for that reason.

58 minutes ago, King Poet said:

I know. But it's a catch when you said there was none, so I am addressing that.

It would be pointless to have the insider program and NOT collect tons of data.

It isn't really a catch, more of a helping hand. Any data sent helps improve the OS and make it more stable. That can help a lot on benchmark computers.

1 hour ago, Shreyas1 said:

this feels like an ad

What can I say? Windows Insider Previews are my go-to OSes, and they're free! You can choose how stable you want them, and you can test upcoming features before they're released to the general public!

1 hour ago, King Poet said:

inb4 user is discovered to be Microsoft AI trying to push for more telemetry data.

I don't know what you meant by that, but I'm happy to reply to any more comments. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11 minutes ago, jojomoore said:

It isn't really a catch, more of a helping hand. Any data sent helps improve the OS and make it more stable. That can help a lot on benchmark computers.

It's a catch. If you have to say "isn't really" it's a catch. No two ways about it. It's not a debate. People need to know that before signing up.

I'm not saying it's negative, you just need to know what you're getting yourself into.

Just now, King Poet said:

It's a catch. If you have to say "isn't really" it's a catch. No two ways about it. It's not a debate. People need to know that before signing up.

I'm not saying it's negative, you just need to know what you're getting yourself into.

:(

17 minutes ago, jojomoore said:

Enterprise Previews address that by making sure it's stable before it becomes a ring, and they're designed for that reason.

You seem to be missing the point. You said "Linus never needed to pay a single cent." These were your words. What he is saying is that as a tech channel, they have to use common builds because that is what their audience uses. Insider builds can have things that change benchmarks. Due to this, it can't be used because their results will not mach what we would see and what their peers would see.

43 minutes ago, jojomoore said:

The thing that most people don't know is this:

Microsoft is basically giving away free copies of Windows 10, and, there's no catch.

All you have to do is become a Windows insider.

Now, I know what you're thinking:

Don't you have to pay money for that?

The answer is simply: No. You don't.

Just go to insider.windows.com, scroll down, and click "BECOME AN INSIDER TODAY >".

Then you're done.

I'm going to include a copy of Win10 Insider as soon as possible.

While I get that put up, someone could try to do the same... or not. I honestly don't care. Well, see you then!

I mean you could do that... if you enjoy an experience that's even less reliable than the production build of Windows. But hey, you do you. I became a Windows Insider when the Developer Previews of Windows 8 came out, but I would never install it on my main computers because of how unreliable it could be. Microsoft themselves don't recommend people using these builds for daily use. A simple update could brick the entire build, which is expected. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

37 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I mean you could do that... if you enjoy an experience that's even less reliable than the production build of Windows. But hey, you do you. 

Actually, I've found it to be more reliable. (Microsoft puts stuff in the production line that only a select few of the developers know about (unless you happen to be a person who digs through the code like me))

37 minutes ago, King Poet said:

You seem to be missing the point. You said "Linus never needed to pay a single cent." These were your words. What he is saying is that as a tech channel. They have to use common builds because that is what their audience uses. Insider builds can have things that change benchmarks. Due to this, it can't be used because their results will not mach what we would see and what their peers would see.

Well, it is possible to downgrade from an insider build without getting a notice, so that would work.

8 minutes ago, jojomoore said:

Actually, I've found it to be more reliable. (Microsoft puts stuff in the production line that only a select few of the developers know about (unless you happen to be a person who digs through the code like me))

It is not. Stop trying to get people to opt into beta software that will never be reliable enough for legitimate work. The potential losses in data is not worth getting Windows (more like trying Windows) for "free". Microsoft themselves warns users of this potential danger. People should be installing these insider builds on secondary systems, systems where downtime and data loss is not going to cause a major headache. It is not meant to be installed on your main working systems. 

image.png.98f47a10f4c6747a98f90ec166015513.png

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Just now, jojomoore said:

Well, it is possible to downgrade from an insider build without getting a notice, so that would work.

Test benches should not require that much work to get going. The benchmarking process is arduous enough. Using insider builds then downgrading is ridiculous when they can just install regular windows, not activate, then tear down the bench when they are done with it. The shelf-life of an LTT build is just too short to do anything else. That was his entire point in making that video.

I wouldn't. They collect way more data than even the regular version of Windows. Which I'm not at all a fan of.

47 minutes ago, Lazaro said:

or just buy a legit license for like 10$ on some website

Those are not legit.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I think that settling for Insider is a good choice, compared to downloading a pirated version off some torrent website, and trust whoever is sharing that version, activation or cracking software hasn't put something extra in it. You can trust Micorsoft over some random guy on the internet who promises that the key is legitimate or the download is clean, right?

2 minutes ago, Upierczi said:

I think that settling for Insider is a good choice, compared to downloading a pirated version off some torrent website, and trust whoever is sharing that version, activation or cracking software hasn't put something extra in it. You can trust Micorsoft over some random guy on the internet who promises that the key is legitimate or the download is clean, right?

Clean of viruses is one thing, knowing that your downloading software that hasn't been thoroughly tested for stability and reliability is another. Remember, you're the guinea pigs that are testing for that. 

8 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Clean of viruses is one thing, knowing that your downloading software that hasn't been thoroughly tested for stability and reliability is another. Remember, you're the guinea pigs that are testing for that. 

I think of it is as an exchange. You're using a Windows license and in exchange they need to test and get some sweet data out of your use. Of course, you don't use it in production, but for casual, or home use it's not that terrible of a choice, especially when faced between "legitimate" keys being sold on Reddit, DSP keys (That are not correct either because of their license) and the prices at the Microsoft Store for the OS. When you're a power user and you want to meticously test out new features, OS changes and differences in upcoming developments it's also beneficial for you... In any other scenario the drawback is exactly the one you mention; you're just a guinea pig, but a guinea pig with legitimate Windows 10.