gaming on linux Discussion

Lilninjsways

How long do you believe it will be before most of steam's major/AAA games will be running very smoothly on linux? I've dual booted ubuntu and windows 10 and love ubuntu much better than windows 10 at the moment but i stay on windows 10 just for gaming sadly... I really want Battle.net and Steam games (and sadly origin) to run on linux... the progress seems to be going really smoothly but am just wondering when i can move over to linux fully 

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

How long do you believe it will be before most of steam's major/AAA games will be running very smoothly on linux? I've dual booted ubuntu and windows 10 and love ubuntu much better than windows 10 at the moment but i stay on windows 10 just for gaming sadly... I really want Battle.net and Steam games (and sadly origin) to run on linux... the progress seems to be going really smoothly but am just wondering when i can move over to linux fully 

They all run well...under a VM.....

(Which I have tested extensively. Performance hit goes from 10 to 30% depending on specs and such, but for the most part, you'll never notice....)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Proton came out just over a month ago now (I think) and make a lot of steam games compatible with Linux (if you override the official support filter), small levels of progress have been made in the patches since but to get to this point took 2 years in the first place. Of course we don't know what else Valve is working on right now however...

Origin, Uplay and Battle.net won't come to Linux natively until there are more Linux gamers than MacOS gamers. MacOS is already a supported platform on Battle.net and origin, but not all games support it. If Linux reached that point those publishers would port their launchers and probably release a few newer games.

All in all, I don't think you can ever set a target for 100% compatibility for games with no official Linux build. Some games rely of technologies that make compatibility layers difficult or impossible to use (anticheat, DRM) and AAA games are typically way worse for this. The most you can hope for is for official support from EA, Ubisoft and Activision/Blizzard, which will only happen with more players.

Not that those lot coming to Linux would really enrich the Linux gaming market anyway... Maybe Blizzard.

As for Steam, I'd imagine we'll probably see 80% plus within a year. It's a pretty high % already thanks to Proton.

I haven't had an issues running games in my Steam library on GNU/Linux, but I don't really play games on my computer.

Imo it will still take a rather long time. Mainly because the average Joe doesn't really care about Linux. They know their Windows and they know about mac but Linux is still a niche product (at least in the consumer marked). I just can’t see companies pushing the Linux support when just a fraction of their audience even knows what Linux is.

This puts the Linux support unfortunately in a bad circle. Not many consumers -> not a big priority for support -> Not many consumers due to lack of support etc.

Maybe someday. but not today, not tomorrow and not next week.

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

Profilepicture by Chibiterasu-chan

Many games are already there so by the time the PS5 comes out many games should be also available on Linux. Then for the PS5 update, it should be standard to have some games maybe linux only. 

I've installed Deepin on my main drive and Steam's new "Steam Play" works well even in unsupported games. I've tested a couple of Windows only games with Steam Play and they were playable.

People just need to start using Linux more, which makes GPU´manufacturers realize that they should focus on Linux drivers too. That way games will run better.

Also big AAA dev companies should start to make games for linux too.

Only problem is that there isn't really a market for linux gaming. Majority of gamers and people in general still use windows over linux, so it isn't worth it for companies to develop drivers and games on linux.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

9 hours ago, fpo said:

Many games are already there so by the time the PS5 comes out many games should be also available on Linux. Then for the PS5 update, it should be standard to have some games maybe linux only. 

lol the ps5 huh? 

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

6 hours ago, Underi said:

I've installed Deepin on my main drive and Steam's new "Steam Play" works well even in unsupported games. I've tested a couple of Windows only games with Steam Play and they were playable.

People just need to start using Linux more, which makes GPU´manufacturers realize that they should focus on Linux drivers too. That way games will run better.

Also big AAA dev companies should start to make games for linux too.

Only problem is that there isn't really a market for linux gaming. Majority of gamers and people in general still use windows over linux, so it isn't worth it for companies to develop drivers and games on linux.

yea im tired of windows at this point it's so annoying but i dont want to fully transition till blizzard and maybe origin runs on linux...

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

yea im tired of windows at this point it's so annoying but i dont want to fully transition till blizzard and maybe origin runs on linux... 

I have 1.5TB worth of games on my harddrives so you could do what I did which is installing Linux on your main SSD drive and install Windows on a smaller 100-300GB partition on one of your harddrives. That way you can boot to windows to play those windows games and otherwise use linux.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

1 minute ago, Underi said:

I have 1.5TB worth of games on my harddrives so you could do what I did which is installing Linux on your main SSD drive and install Windows on a smaller 100-300GB partition on one of your harddrives. That way you can boot to windows to play those windows games and otherwise use linux.

i have like 3 or so TB of games (that includes my whole game library on steam origin and blizzard) can i transfer my games/partition over to linux?

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

lol the ps5 huh? 

Yeah. Should be out in 2-5 years. 

Linux will never have the driver or game support Windows has. You will be able to game on it, but it will always be a worse overall experience.

Worst case scenario, if Linux somehow gets a meaningful OS market share, Microsoft will say screw it and make a fully free-to-use Windows that will still be easier to use and more polished and have more developer support than any Linux distro. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Just now, fpo said:

Yeah. Should be out in 2-5 years. 

where's this info coming from?

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

Linux will never have the driver or game support Windows has. You will be able to game on it, but it will always be a worse overall experience.

Worst case scenario, if Linux somehow gets a meaningful OS market share, Microsoft will say screw it and make a fully free-to-use Windows that will still be easier to use and more polished and have more developer support than any Linux distro. 

see the thing is i dont really want to use windows.... and with steam doing steam play hopefully it will work much much better than before.. 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Lilninjsways said:

where's this info coming from?

Speculation from rumors and how many console generations have worked. Xbox og 2001-2006. 5 years. 360 2006-2009~ 360 update 2009-2013. 7~ years. 

Xbox one 2013-2015~ Xbox one update 2015-? 

Every generation is about 5 years, even modern ones. I know I said PS5 and mentioned Xbox generations but they come out about the same time & Xbox’s name scheme is wack. 

5 minutes ago, fpo said:

Speculation from rumors and how many console generations have worked. Xbox og 2001-2006. 5 years. 360 2006-2009~ 360 update 2009-2013. 7~ years. 

Xbox one 2013-2015~ Xbox one update 2015-? 

Every generation is about 5 years, even modern ones. I know I said PS5 and mentioned Xbox generations but they come out about the same time & Xbox’s name scheme is wack. 

oh i see thanks for explaining :)

Spoiler