"Reboot and select proper boot device" out of nowhere

Ziggzu

Hello all, I have had my desktop pc for at least like 6 months or so, built it myself with help of friends, and it has worked flawlessly since, no BSODs that I can recall, and I don't overclock or anything similar.

Windows 10 is installed on my SSD with about 240gb capacity (stats of my pc build should be in my bio.)

I didn't/don't tinker with my computer unless something goes wrong, such as now.

I just turned on my computer as normal and it went past the motherboard screen to a black screen with the message in the picture.

Attached are other pictures of the settings, but really I have no idea why it suddenly wont go to windows.

Thanks in advance for any help.

IMG_20181005_151938.jpg

IMG_20181005_151728.jpg

IMG_20181005_151625.jpg

IMG_20181005_140151.jpg

Hey there! If you want me to to reply please use: @Ziggzu so I see it!

Remove the usb flash drive you've left in :P

Seriously though its probably trying to boot from a removable device so start checking there :)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

The first boot option selected is my SSD, and no matter how many times I select it i still get the same black screen with the message. Also the only usb devices I have in are for my wireless and one for my keyboard, there are no USB storage devices

:/

Just now, Ziggzu said:

The first boot option selected is my SSD, and no matter how many times I select it i still get the same black screen with the message. Also the only usb devices I have in are for my wireless and one for my keyboard, there are no USB storage devices

:/

Hmm OK then. Could you try and set the other drive as the primary boot device to see if that helps.

When booting in Legacy mode it's possible for Windows to place the bootloader on other drives in the system, I just want to check the bootloader isnt on the other drive.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Same error, unfortunately

I was only able to change the boot order to have my HDD as 1st in the "Hard disk drive BBS properties"

never mind I was able to change it but I got the same message

Edited by Ziggzu

This is probably pointless but next try disconnecting the drive entirely (power & data) then reconnecting it.

You can also try moving the data cable to another SATA port on the board, see if that helps but unfortunately i get the feeling you're going to be doing a reinstall.

Yeah I still get the same deal unfortunately. If I re-install windows on my SSD will it format it in the process?

I did back up (move) some of my files i use regularly (one is a minecraft server) to my HDD so that would still be there even after formatting the SSD to put windows on it again, correct?

It does detect both of my drives, the SSD and the HDD, so there shouldn't be anything wrong with the right? The only thing that could possibly have caused the issue is lack of space on my SSD (which is only 240gb) but i didnt think that could mess everything up just because it was full (it may or may not have been full)

I would use a Windows USB / Disc and see if it can repair the boot loader.
From the pictures is looks like the PC works fine. It's just the software that's corrupt or set up wrong.

It's not a race to the bottom.

I did attempt to diagnose and then do the automatic repair from my installation usb but it didnt work

If I install windows 10 again (which will suck quite a bit since i'll lose all of my SSD files probably) will i also lose all of my files on my HDD, as long as i select the SSD to put windows 10 on?

Have you tried selecting Satafirm S11 for the Boot Option #1 instead of Windows Boot Manager?

If you press F8 on boot(or whichever other key to see the BootMenu) and manually select your SSD(Satafirm S11), does it boot windows or does it still show that message?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

Have you tried selecting Satafirm S11 for the Boot Option #1 instead of Windows Boot Manager?

If you press F8 on boot(or whichever other key to see the BootMenu) and manually select your SSD(Satafirm S11), does it boot windows or does it still show that message?

Yes I did try that but I got the same message, however some interesting news:

I took out my SSD with windows 10 from my desktop pc and put it into my laptop and it booted, but then about 30 minutes later i got a BSOD with the message: "MEMORY MANAGEMENT" but the memory on this laptop should be fine and if that was really the issue then it should have been fine on my desktop which has 2 sticks of 8gb RAM... It is very strange...