Looking for new mic and maybe headphones.

flare4000
Go to solution Solved by ShearMe,

Thanks for all of the recommendations so far, the custom one pros seems good, @ShearMe Closed headphones, relatively flat signature, current headphones are sony mdr-xb500.

Ever-so-slightly out of budget, but what do you think of the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro?

So my current headphones are still fine but I kinda want new ones so my budget is around $150. 

I would like to get a mic and my budget for that is $40 or less.

If you could recommend me anything that would be great, the one thing I want with the headphone is to have a cable that is short enough for mobile use so the ATH-M50 are out of the question.

Forgot to mention that I live in Canada...

My rig: i7 930 oc to 3.4 ghz, GA-X58A-UD3R, 6GB of ocz ram, antec nine hundred two, seasonic g 650, gigabyte 7970 OC, 120 GB Samsung 840, 1TB Seagate barracuda. Cm storm trigger mx browns and a steelseries sensei raw.

Custom One Pro is the king of the not a studio monitor $150 headphones. 

Blue Snowflake is $40 on Amazon.

Plenty of options for headphones, so I'll ask some questions to narrow the list:

- Current headphones? What would you like to have different?

- Open or closed?
- Sound signature you prefer, or music genres?

You could grab some Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones and buy a Snowflake. The Audio Technica's are amazing for the price. 

Snowflake ($40)

Audio Technicas ($123 [straight Cable]) But they're always on sale. 

Thanks for all of the recommendations so far, the custom one pros seems good, @ShearMe Closed headphones, relatively flat signature, current headphones are sony mdr-xb500.

My rig: i7 930 oc to 3.4 ghz, GA-X58A-UD3R, 6GB of ocz ram, antec nine hundred two, seasonic g 650, gigabyte 7970 OC, 120 GB Samsung 840, 1TB Seagate barracuda. Cm storm trigger mx browns and a steelseries sensei raw.

Ever-so-slightly out of budget, but what do you think of the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro?

They seem like good headphones but the coiled cable worries me as they tend to be heavy.

Question, how bad would open headphones leak? I am looking at the Sennheiser's 558s

Question, how bad would open headphones leak? I am looking at the Sennheiser's 558s

I invite you to perform an experiment:

1) plug in whatever headphones/earbuds you currently have

2) set them to the maximum comfortable listening volume

3) take them off your head, place them on your desk

4) get up and walk across the room

5) what you hear will be what open headphone leakage sounds like, possibly a tad louder higher frequencies

;)

I invite you to perform an experiment:

1) plug in whatever headphones/earbuds you currently have

2) set them to the maximum comfortable listening volume

3) take them off your head, place them on your desk

4) get up and walk across the room

5) what you hear will be what open headphone leakage sounds like, possibly a tad louder higher frequencies

;)

Well my family would hate me if I went open lol, so are the hd 380 pro pretty good? The three headphones I am looking at are the ath-m50, custom one pro, and the hd 380. The COPs and m50 would cost me roughly $200 and the hd 380 would cost only $120 since I have a bestbuy gift card.

Well my family would hate me if I went open lol, so are the hd 380 pro pretty good? The three headphones I am looking at are the ath-m50, custom one pro, and the hd 380. The COPs and m50 would cost me roughly $200 and the hd 380 would cost only $120 since I have a bestbuy gift card.

I've heard good things about the 380, and would probably recommend it over the others simply due to that giftcard. A removable cable mod should be easy enough if you get annoyed by the coiled cable. 

Blue Snowball and V-MODA Crossfade LP. I don't necessarily recommend the Blue Snowflake because that's better if you're using a laptop.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

I've heard good things about the 380, and would probably recommend it over the others simply due to that giftcard. A removable cable mod should be easy enough if you get annoyed by the coiled cable. 

Blue Snowball and V-MODA Crossfade LP. I don't necessarily recommend the Blue Snowflake because that's better if you're using a laptop.

The LP are $200 in Can, so I will most likely go for the 380 and for mic I still haven't made up my mind, currently I am using some rocketfish headset made for the ps3 and it is a very ghetto setup... so my options for mics are the snowflake which is $53, the snowball ice $50, the snowball $70. If anyone can tell me the pros/cons of these mics it would be greatly appreciated.

The LP are $200 in Can, so I will most likely go for the 380 and for mic I still haven't made up my mind, currently I am using some rocketfish headset made for the ps3 and it is a very ghetto setup... so my options for mics are the snowflake which is $53, the snowball ice $50, the snowball $70. If anyone can tell me the pros/cons of these mics it would be greatly appreciated.

snowflake is small and about all you really need for VoIP. Snowball is bigger, picks up your voice a tad batter, and is up-gradable with mounts and pop filters and such. I think the difference between the ICE and regular version is in the accessories, and the mic itself is the same.

I wasn't sure if you meant dollars in Canadian or US. That might seem weird since I know you said you live in Canada, but I figured you mentioned that for availability only. Shows what I know.

The recommendations people have made in terms of headphones have been good so far, but if you have that kind of money to spend on a microphone, I would just pay a little more for a Snowball if you could. It's not like you'll be replacing that anytime soon, right?

If you want a more value-minded set of headphones, the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros are apparently not bad, but just like the 380s, they have a coiled cable which you probably wouldn't like.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Thank you everyone for your recommendations I will go with the 380 and if I don't like I will just return them to bestbuy, as for the mic, I found another ghetto way lol, ya instead of having a mic around my neck, my old rockband mic is on my desk...