Differences in partner cards

98Redbird

I just picked up an EVGA XC Gaming 2080. 

They also have the XC Black, XC Ultra and FTW3 cards.

I guess my question is what are you really getting for more money? Better cooling? From what I've seen the 20 series cards are more or less voltage limited, not temperature limited. So what does better cooling get you? Longer life potentially?

The factory overclocks are different between cards, but a simple overclock should even all of that up right?

Am I missing something here? It just seems like it would be better to invest in the lower tiered partner card rather than something like the FTW3 that is a hundred or more dollars more. But maybe I'm wrong?

4770k@4.7Ghz--Asus Sabertooth Z87--(2)GTX SC 780 (SLI)--Corsair Vengeance 16GB--Corsiar 860i--Samsung SSD 128GB X 2--Corsair 900d--Custom Water Cooled

Versions like FTW series usually do provide better cooling, they're bigger too for those who care about the size of the card, they're (normally) quieter. 

Running the card cool does "prolong" the life of the card, but generally it doesn't matter since these cards can run hot for a good while. 

Got to remember too, people will pay more aesthetics and branding. 

Thanks DVA.

So essentially, overall performance should be quite similar. A 2080 should be a 2080 should be a 2080 basically?

4770k@4.7Ghz--Asus Sabertooth Z87--(2)GTX SC 780 (SLI)--Corsair Vengeance 16GB--Corsiar 860i--Samsung SSD 128GB X 2--Corsair 900d--Custom Water Cooled

7 minutes ago, 98Redbird said:

Thanks DVA.

So essentially, overall performance should be quite similar. A 2080 should be a 2080 should be a 2080 basically?

Yes some cards are slightly worse or better than others but barely so they are still the same card

Its definitely just mostly cooling capability differences usually

poop

10 minutes ago, 98Redbird said:

Thanks DVA.

Yes, all the same card. Any overclocking that can be done better by the next card up is very minimal and won't be worth the price difference. 

For example your XC may not overclock as high as the FTW version, but it's so minuscule that it wouldn't be worth chucking another 100 bucks, not even another 50. 

Other incentives for picking up versions like FTW are just the RGB's and having a larger card. 

you shouldn't worry about anything.

Great,

Thanks all!

Also reference compared to custom. So paying for more everything. The cooler shouldn’t matter as much unless you are afraid to turn the fans up. 

The less limitations to hold the gpu back the better. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz