UPGRADE NEEDED: What to buy first

Go to solution Solved by grss1982,
36 minutes ago, UBoF said:

I was wondering what to purchase first as I am on a tight budget right now. 

here are my pc specs. 

MOBO: ASUS H81M-K
CPU: i3 4170
GPU: Asus GTX 760 DC2OC 2 GB GDDR5
RAM: Was 8 GB (2x4gb) but one went off to my father so now 4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz ddr3.
PSU: True Rated 600W
SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB(Windows with AC Origins installed)
HDD: 1TB Seagate

So I am pretty much tight in budget right now and can only afford 1 upgrade so I am wondering if I would purchase another stick of 4GB ram ($27 here) or swap out my CPU with an i5 4460 ($36.84).

I currently play AC Origins and get approx 28 - 45 fps with the current set up. sometimes 50.mixed medium, low and high settings at 1366x768 reso. 

What would be more beneficial? a stick new of ram or a CPU upgrade to i5 4460?

next month I will be upgrading to GTX 960.

Any inputs?

Thanks!

Get another stick of 4GB RAM and utilize dual channel.  I believe, LTT did a video on this and even describing it as the best upgrade to any computer that can easily be noticed in terms of performance improvement. 

Second LTT video in this search result:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=add+ram+to+improve+performance+linus+tech+tips&FORM=AWVR

here are my pc specs. 

RAM: Was 8 GB (2x4gb) but one went off to my father so now 4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz ddr3.

So I am pretty much tight in budget right now and can only afford 1 upgrade so I am wondering if I would purchase another stick of 4GB ram ($27 here) or swap out my CPU with an i5 4460 ($36.84).

I currently play AC Origins and get approx 28 - 45 fps with the current set up. sometimes 50.mixed medium, low and high settings at 1366x768 reso. 

Any inputs?

Thanks!

36 minutes ago, UBoF said:

here are my pc specs. 

Any inputs?

Thanks!

Get another stick of 4GB RAM and utilize dual channel.  I believe, LTT did a video on this and even describing it as the best upgrade to any computer that can easily be noticed in terms of performance improvement. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=add+ram+to+improve+performance+linus+tech+tips&FORM=AWVR

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

Another 4GB of RAM and a 4th Gen i5 or i7. A BIOS update may be required for newer chips like the 4790K or 4690K.

GPU is still decent, you can wait on that a bit.

Bear in mind AC:O isn't a terribly well-optimized game.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, grss1982 said:

Thanks for the inputs. Right I have decided to add more ram.. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Another 4GB of RAM and a 4th Gen i5 or i7. A BIOS update may be required for newer chips like the 4790K or 4690K.

GPU is still decent, you can wait on that a bit.

Bear in mind AC:O isn't a terribly well-optimized game.

Thanks for the input. Ram it is.