PlayStation 3 Thermal pads

Just to start off after watching Linus' video on the Thermal pads replacing thermal paste. I own a PlayStation Fat boy with backwards compatibility. Everyone knows these models were more susceptible to ylod and while I changed the hdd to an ssd there was a slight difference on the heat given off as there was less heat in general, so I decided to try and upgrade to this thermal pad solution instead of thermal paste since it seemed like a long term solution. Unfortunately it ended not working due to the heatsink not making proper contact with the cpu and there being a significant amount of air gap between. so moral of the story is just use thermal paste.

Also if anyone happens to know a way to make one water cooled and can inform me of where to get watercooling blocks that would be most appreciated. or even a guide on how to water cool one of these fat boys.

BTW, these is the thermal pads that are meant to replace your thermal paste
https://www.amazon.com/Innovation-Cooling-Graphite-Thermal-Pad/dp/B07CK9SHZG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1538624192&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=IC+Graphite+thermal+pad&psc=1&smid=A2EPY4D0EP33QL

You dont replace thermal pads with thermal paste, you use proper thermal pads. I doubt anyone is making blocks for PS3 nowadays, honestly you are better off water cooling something else...

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

The problem on the ps3 was never the thermal compound going to the cooler. It was the thermal compound going to the Ihs. Delid and liquid metal does wonders for these, of course there is still the matter of there being pressure applied to the motherboard unevenly, so after enough heat cycles it is still going to fail.

On 10/2/2018 at 1:46 PM, Levent said:

You dont replace thermal pads with thermal paste, you use proper thermal pads. I doubt anyone is making blocks for PS3 nowadays, honestly you are better off water cooling something else...

I think I didn't clarify, there are graphite thermal pads that linus talked about replacing your thermal paste. I did NOT change the thermal pads for thermal paste. What I did do was change the thermal paste to a thermal pad. The video linked here will show you the product I am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpphKzmDiJM&t=229s

These pads work well in something like a Playstation because they're a 'fit and forget' solution, unlike having to renew thermal paste routinely. The performance is similar. They work well with high pressure mounting too, I have them on my gpu and I debated shims on the cooler.

Only issue I had is they're a real bitch to keep in place when you're assembling, they like moving with the slightest tilt or gust of wind.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷