Lets Talk about NSwitch Online...

For those of you unaware Nintendo launched their paid online service about a week ago with a tiered pricing model ranging from $3.99 for a single month to $20 a year.  Starting now to play any online titles like Splatoon you have to have a paid subscription. 

While the pricing is very good I do think there are numerous problems with the service.  It seems to me that Nintendo has many good ideas like cloud saves and NES game streaming but bad implementation.  For one with the cloud saves it only works with certain titles kind of eliminating the point of it.  Nintendo said that it doesn't work for Splatoon because they want to eliminate the possibility of cheating or players reverting to previous ranking etc even though said games are the most important to back up user data.  What makes the problem worse is that if ever at any time you stop paying for the subscription service your cloud backup saves are wiped.  There is also the voice chat issue.  While I like where they are going with with the smartphone app as it allows to connect to your account and view information about online games the voice chat through it is kinda clunky.  I can see their idea with it being a mobile system and all but something as simple as voice chat should just be built in even if its something simple like the 3.5mm earbud and mic on the PS4 controller hell even the system itself has a headphone jack. 

I do hope that Nintendo does fix some of the glaring flaws with their online service I have no problem paying for it but with this many flaws I can't really bring myself to support it at the moment.

10 hours ago, OnyxArmos said:

I actually think it's pretty reasonable considering the price :) I've already bought the 12 month package, cloud-saved all my games, and started playing The Legend of Zelda NES. I'm honestly pretty happy with the service, especially considering that games like Splatoon 2 do actually use dedicated servers - I don't mind paying if these dedicated servers will be more stable. And I hope that Super Smash Bros Ultimate uses dedicated servers rather than peer to peer

Has Nintendo actually come out and said that they have dedicated servers for online play?  I heard that some people were complaining that they did not have them.

1 hour ago, OnyxArmos said:

Splatoon 2's definitely uses dedicated servers for online play I'm nearly 100% sure 

It would surprise me if Splatoon 2 didn't have any dedicated servers especially considering how popular it is in its home country.  I think Smash will be the biggest test along with just fixing the few small changes they need to make to cloud saves.