Old drive possibly failing soon, what can i do?

2theMAX

My Lenovo ThinkStation S20 came with its 9 yr old drive and a drive test showed it as failing, in the 2 pictures are its S.M.A.R.T readings from Alfredo Milani Comparetti's SpeedFan Program. It indicates that the Current Pending Sector Count and Uncorrectable Sector Count have reached their thresholds and is a signal of a soon to fail drive, as with all thresholds. 

I was wondering how long my drive will last and/or what i could do to repair/prolong the life of the drive. 

readings.PNG

readings2.PNG

Don "2theMAX"

Step One. Backup your data

Step Two. Backup your data

Step Three. Backup your data to an offsite location whether physical or cloud.

If the drive is failing you can't do much to prolong it's life, just replace and move on.

5 minutes ago, SethKraota said:

Step One. Backup your data

Step Two. Backup your data

Step Three. Backup your data to an offsite location whether physical or cloud.

If the drive is failing you can't do much to prolong it's life, just replace and move on.

forgot to mention, i did that. btw its the boot drive and i may have sort of deleted my other drives windows files to save space but i don't remember if i actually did and if it will actually boot from it

Edited by 2theMAX

Don "2theMAX"

Just now, 2theMAX said:

forgot to mention, i did that

Then all that's left is to replace it or use it for stuff you don't care about losing in the event it fails, like a download/temp folder drive.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, 2theMAX said:

forgot to mention, i did that

I'm assuming its used based on the OP, so scrape the drive for some possibly juicy fragments of corporate information ? Contact said company and let them sue the butts off the people who refurbished it. Might even get a few bucks from said company as a thanks.

Then smash it with a hammer or open it up and destroy the actual disc part, or store it indefinitely like me.

5 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

I'm assuming its used based on the OP, so scrape the drive for some possibly juicy fragments of corporate information ? Contact said company and let them sue the butts off the people who refurbished it. Might even get a few bucks from said company as a thanks.

Then smash it with a hammer or open it up and destroy the actual disc part, or store it indefinitely like me.

y tho, its 9 yrs old and i like my local electronics retailer

Don "2theMAX"

14 minutes ago, 2theMAX said:

I was wondering how long my drive will last and/or what i could do to repair/prolong the life of the drive. 

Your drive may have just died as I typed out this reply. Your drive might also last another 20 years. As @SethKraota mentioned, always backup any data you cannot re-create or download again, including photos, videos, and important documents, as well as program installation files from software developers too incompetent to offer a re-download option for software you already paid a license for. Then replace the drive with a new one.

9 years is really good for operate of an HDD, as the average lifespan is between 3-6 years from my experience. That being said, electronics and mechanical items can fail at any time, so always, always, always, ALWAYS backup your stuff.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

3 minutes ago, 2theMAX said:

y tho, its 9 yrs old and i like my local electronics retailer

They actually won't be the ones getting in trouble likely, since they buy them to resell. The most recent scrapyard wars will show you how that is the case.

I find it absolutely insane that you got a 9 year old drive with a computer when I spent about $300 on a laptop and got a brand new 128GB SSD...