My brothers rig started to have probelms. First off the specs:

i5 2500k

8GB G-Skill 1866Mhz 

PNY GTX 770

AsRock z77 Extreme4 

Club3D 1000 watts

WD Green 5400 2TB

So now to the problem.

When we were watching a Youtube video, the PC just shut off.

When we tried to restart it it turned on for a second, but just shut off again.

When we tried to start again, it didn't even start up for  a second, it just stayed black.

This now happens at random, it sometimes boots (for a second), and sometimes it just stays black.

EDIT: The MB shows the number 10 for a split second, and then shuts off again.

The Manual says it stays for "PEI CORE STARTED"

EDIT2: We most likely figured out the problem. Looks like the RAM is faulty. We're going to try out some other stikcs, and report back.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

PSU may be the problem, or faulty RAM

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Do you have another power supply to try?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

PSU may be the problem, or faulty RAM

Do you have another power supply to try?

We will try another PSU. Will report back.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Yep, try it with a new PSU see what happens.

If not strip it down to no gpu/1 stick of RAM see if that works

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

If none of above suggestions work, rebuild the computer outside the case on a non-conductive surface, i.e. a box. If the computer starts up with no problems outside the case, there may be a short somewhere between the case or heatsink and the motherboard.

Also try unplugging all the drives to see if it will post in the most minimal config (1 stick of ram, no cards, no drives, etc)

Old shit no one cares about but me.

if it shuts down automatically probably some heat problems on the CPU, it happens so you dont burn your CPU auto protection

or maybe is the GPU try using onboard graphics card, do some tests if not try disconecting HDD and leave BIOS or boot from a USB using other OS

try leaving only 1 stick of memory

Yep, try it with a new PSU see what happens.

If not strip it down to no gpu/1 stick of RAM see if that works

DO NOT BUY A NEW PSU! 

Unplug all the cables from the components and put a paper clip blocks at the end the Green and black wire on the PSU 20+4 pin cable, if the fan spins up the PSU is fine.

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

DO NOT BUY A NEW PSU! 

Unplug all the cables from the components and put a paper clip blocks at the end the red and black wire on the PSU 20+4 pin cable, if the fan spins up the PSU is fine.

No. no no no no no

Do not ground the 5v and ground that does not turn on the PSU. If anything this will damage it if it somehow turns on while that's grounded.

Grounding the green wire will, however. This doesn't really say anything though. The PSU is not under load when you do this. It may function with no load, but it might give out under load. I doubt its the power supply though.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

No. no no no no no

Do not ground the 5v and ground that does not turn on the PSU. If anything this will damage it if it somehow turns on while that's grounded.

Grounding the green wire will, however. This doesn't really say anything though. The PSU is not under load when you do this. It may function with no load, but it might give out under load. I doubt its the power supply though.

Sorry, i meant green.. I'm a bit confused to why i put red.

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

PIE core started is a memory error. Given how quickly you get the error suggests that it's completely fubar. I believe it's been mentioned above but anyway.

Memory - 1st most likely possibility

• Try booting with 1 stick. 
  • Try booting with the other. 
  • Try booting with a borrowed known working stick.

PSU - 2nd

• Remove it from the system, connect a fan for it to power, sort a green and a black wire from the 24 pin and power it on. If it fails instantly, or within the usual time your system shuts off that means it's faulty.
  • Corsairs guide on how to do it:

Shorting out - 3rd

• Rebuild the rig outside of it's case on top of the motherboard box and attempt to boot it.
  • If that's your issue, you may have to use some of your own logic to figure out what's shorting it. Did you use standoffs? (I had to repair a rig that the owner didn't use any so... yeah) or maybe there was a standoff installed incorrectely, or maybe an extra standoff? Dunno, you find out  ^_^

Hope this helps!  

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I did not make any changes to the system yet, but i let the Pc alone over night and restartet it toady and everything ran fine. 
So now i am runnig prime95 for over 2 hours and everything works fine, temperature are also good, core temp shows around 50°C.

Yesterday when I ran prime, it shut down after about 10 mins. Today when I ran prime, it ran, and stull runs for about 2 hours now.

@bradscoolio

I did not make any changes to the system yet, but i let the Pc alone over night and restartet it toady and everything ran fine. 

So now i am runnig prime95 for over 2 hours and everything works fine, temperature are also good, core temp shows around 50°C.

Yesterday when I ran prime, it shut down after about 10 mins. Today when I ran prime, it ran, and stull runs for about 2 hours now.

@bradscoolio

Please do.

Also to note: Could be that your memory controller on your CPU is faulty.

What are the current speeds, timings, and voltages? 

Try running the it at 1333mhz, 9-9-9-24, 1.5v.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Please do.

Also to note: Could be that your memory controller on your CPU is faulty.

What are the current speeds, timings, and voltages? 

Try running the it at 1333mhz, 9-9-9-24, 1.5v.

We already ran it at 1333 Mhz and it crashed after 5 minutes. Today we ran it at 1333 Mhz again, and it was stable. But it was stable at 1866 Mhz, too.

voltage is 1.5

timing is 9,10,9,28

speed is 1833 mhz.