Classic IBM Thinkpads New i7 cpus

any other Thinkpad fanboys here?

I got a t420, thinking about buying a custom motherboard from some chinese company in shenzhen

they make custom motherboards for older laptops with newer quadcore processors, usb 3.0, m.2 x4, etc

it has all the classic ports and 4:3 aspect ratio

currently, they are about to go out of business D:

It'd be nice if Linus made a video about it, i think one of his people uses a Thinkpad

its basically what the anniversary edition thinkpad should've been

https://weidian.com/item.html?itemID=2247042080&wfr=qfriend&ifr=itemdetail

https://forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117&page=1

first pic is x210 (x201 with 8650u)

second is x62 (x61 with 5250u)

third is T70 (T60 with 7700hq)

080228igljmsllj7zkr7s0.jpg.thumb.jpg

DSC_2304.JPG

3331-2-1.jpg

Umm. they don't have to. I actually ran into an IBM thinkpad that a rep had (no, not lenovo) IBM does still make thinkpads, they just seem to only make them for corporate customers.

Even had the little rubber clit.... and I just got flagged.

WHY

the displays and resolutions on those old models are terrible. what's the point!

She/Her

1 minute ago, slightlyjaded said:

Umm. they don't have to. I actually ran into an IBM thinkpad that a rep had (no, not lenovo) IBM does still make thinkpads, they just seem to only make them for corporate customers.

what?

no they don't. ibm sold its thinkpad brand to lenovo long ago

i call 100% bullshit

1 minute ago, l33t_P4j33t said:

ibm sold its thinkpad brand to ibm

lol left hand to right hand

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just now, l33t_P4j33t said:

what?

no they don't. ibm sold its thinkpad brand to ibm

Think you mean lenovo. But I will tell you I was suprised as hell to see it. I even had to take a peak at it's dxdiag to confirm.

IBM sold their consumer brand to lenovo, and paid a hefty bill when they did aparently, They kept their corporate contracts.

Just now, firelighter487 said:

WHY

the displays and resolutions on those old models are terrible. what's the point!

you can buy newer displays

x210 has a new connector and guides how to upgrade the display to a 2018 one

2 hours ago, l33t_P4j33t said:

you can buy newer displays

x210 has a new connector and guides how to upgrade the display to a 2018 one

then why not just buy a new thinkpad?

She/Her

1 minute ago, slightlyjaded said:

Think you mean lenovo. But I will tell you I was suprised as hell to see it. I even had to take a peak at it's dxdiag to confirm.

IBM sold their consumer brand to lenovo, and paid a hefty bill when they did aparently, They kept their corporate contracts.

i call bullshit

ibm themselves said it was unprofitable

I highly highly doubt it and i think what you saw wasn't actually ibm

9 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

Even had the little rubber clit.... and I just got flagged.

Yeah... No they don't.

5 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

{Citation necessary}

The ENTIRE division and brand were sold to Lenovo. IBM kept none of it. IBM does not manufacture Thinkpad laptops in any capacity. Also, laptop manufacturers do not have separate distribution divisions within the same branding. You don't custom make laptops "corporate contracts" laptops that companies buy are the same that are available to everyone else, they just buy in bulk and typically use a configurator. 

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Yeah... No they don't.

{Citation necessary}

The ENTIRE division and brand were sold to Lenovo. IBM kept none of it.

You're right, It was what I heard at the time, but they're not exactly rushing out to tell me their inner corporate workings.

The dxdiag file I saw said it came from ibm. It said it was an ibm thinkpad, excuse me if I was a little busy, and actually had to do my job and didn't stop to email myself a screenshot from someone else's computer. It is possible it was one of the last thinkpads released before they sold the business. I find it unlikely that an major multinational would still have it's sales reps using almost pristine 5 year old thinkpads, especially with the average sales rep's approach to portable technology, but hey, I suppose it's possible.

11 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

You're right, It was what I heard at the time, but they're not exactly rushing out to tell me their inner corporate workings.

The dxdiag file I saw said it came from ibm. It said it was an ibm thinkpad, excuse me if I was a little busy, and actually had to do my job and didn't stop to email myself a screenshot from someone else's computer. It is possible it was one of the last thinkpads released before they sold the business. I find it unlikely that an major multinational would still have it's sales reps using almost pristine 5 year old thinkpads, especially with the average sales rep's approach to portable technology, but hey, I suppose it's possible.

Okay then, let me make this clear:

IBM does not manufacture a laptop called, or referred to as, Thinkpad in any way, shape, or form. I have totally seen sales reps with an IBM T43P. 

It is truly impossible that the rep had an IBM Thinkpad that was less than 12 years old. The last Thinkpad (T43P) that had IBM branding was manufactured in 2006, and it had both Lenovo and IBM branding for at least a couple runs.

You did not see an IBM Thinkpad unless it was from at least 2006. You were mistaken, or it was old as shit.

IBM does not secretly manufacture laptops for corporate customers. When a business buys a laptop, they go onto the manufacturers website, run through a configurator, sets a quantity, and sends it to their rep (if they get a discount). There are not corporate-only secret laptops.

I know about this and it's awesome, unfortunately I don't think Linus' audience cares much.

24 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

Lenovo is the only company that makes them, they just used the IBM brand for some time after purchasing the division (including the x201 in the picture). I am 100% sure that IBM no longer has anything to do with the thinkpad line. The problem isn't that Lenovo can't make them as they used to, it's that they simply don't want to.

27 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

WHY

They also change the display for these.

23 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

then why not just buy a new thinkpad?

They have worse keyboards, ergonomics and often a worse build quality.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

They have worse keyboards, ergonomics and often a worse build quality.

The keyboards were pretty sweet. and pointer was pretty close to the best implementation on a laptop I've seen, once you got used to it.

My one was a 486 DX75/4? it might have been awhile. running win95 which made it crash pretty reguarly, and required me rebuilding it on a regular basis... totally worth it.

Interesting, but I wouldn't get the X series. It's an ergonomic cluster fuck. Probably one of the worst laptops I ever had the displeasure of using.

Honestly though the pricing seems rather high, and I'd imagine you get zero warranty support. I'd rather pay a few hundred more and get something new.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Interesting, but I wouldn't get the X series. It's an ergonomic cluster fuck. Probably one of the worst laptops I ever had the displeasure of using.

Honestly though the pricing seems rather high, and I'd imagine you get zero warranty support. I'd rather pay a few hundred more and get something new.

na you do get 6 month warranty

£300 for a quadcore laptop motherboard seems fair too me..

x280, a similarly specced laptop, goes for £900

everyone on 4chin seems to recommend either a t420 or an x220

I'd only recommend getting it if you know what it is and you know you'll like it

personally I prefer the thinkpad design over a macbook design any day of the week

32 minutes ago, l33t_P4j33t said:

na you do get 6 month warranty

£300 for a quadcore laptop motherboard seems fair too me..

x280, a similarly specced laptop, goes for £900

everyone on 4chin seems to recommend either a t420 or an x220

I'd only recommend getting it if you know what it is and you know you'll like it

personally I prefer the thinkpad design over a macbook design any day of the week

Eh not for me. That much for just a bare motherboard and CPU isn't a very good deal at all.

Does the warranty include shipping to and from? If not, it's basically useless.

The X280 has a significantly better design. The X220 is shit.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

21 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Eh not for me. That much for just a bare motherboard and CPU isn't a very good deal at all.

Does the warranty include shipping to and from? If not, it's basically useless.

The X280 has a significantly better design. The X220 is shit.

how?

i can understand if you don't like the design..

a good condition x201 is like £80

all in all its £380..

how is that not a good deal. if you wanna get a 1080p ips, its £85

your saving quiet allot

no company can provide a better value

a comparable macbook would be like £1700

intel charges £230 for an 8250u quadcore if you were to buy in bulk. your essentially paying £70 service fee for reverse engineering the thinkpad (including all of the sound drivers, battery drivers, etc) and for a custom made motherboard. But they don't even produce it in bulk so they must do it one by one manually which is more expensive..

btw x280 comes with a 768p tn panel

080228igljmsllj7zkr7s0.jpg.thumb.jpg

080231ksijzjlyo0jclycu.jpg.thumb.jpg

080227en2zpz9npxyhbf9q.jpg.thumb.jpg

32 minutes ago, l33t_P4j33t said:

how?

i can understand if you don't like the design..

a good condition x201 is like £80

all in all its £380..

how is that not a good deal. if you wanna get a 1080p ips is like 120 ish

your saving quiet allot

no company can provide a better value

a comparable macbook would be like £1700

So you have to pay like 500 pound if you're including the display? On top of that, I don't believe they include new batteries, or storage or RAM, do they?

The price rapidly goes up for something being put into a very old, heavy shell.

You can't compare it to a MacBook when you're talking about value 9_9

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

11 hours ago, dizmo said:

So you have to pay like 500 pound if you're including the display? On top of that, I don't believe they include new batteries, or storage or RAM, do they?

The price rapidly goes up for something being put into a very old, heavy shell.

You can't compare it to a MacBook when you're talking about value 9_9

the display is actually £80

all in all its almost twice as cheap as an x280

3 hours ago, l33t_P4j33t said:

the display is actually £80

all in all its almost twice as cheap as an x280

Only really worth it if you're in the UK.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler