Question about Seasonic PSU's fan hybrid operation

Hello everyone, I have ordered a Seasonic 850W Prime Titanium for my new pc, and I was wondering about its hybrid mode that keeps the fan stopped and only starts spinning at 40% load.

I have had very good experiences with Seasonics, my S12 430 and S12 520 are still running smoothly and quietly after 10 years. I don't know if the fanless hybrid operation would benefit the health of the PSU and its fan in the long run, because for me the longevity is more important than being dead silent. So my question is: would the fan be more probable to last longer if it is on continuous spinning (most likely always very low rpm given the 850w power, the system will probably draw 350-400 at highest) or the hybrid mode (not spinning at all for most of the time)?

I know the hybrid technology is there for a reason, to use it, but being my first fanless psu, I have concerns that when gaming, the psu could be often  near the 40% threshold and keep ramping up and stopping the fan which in the long run would depreciate the fan faster than continuous operation? Thank you!

There is hysteresis so the fan would only ramp down after you stopped gaming for a while and ramp up once you've been gaming for a while.

It won't constantly ramp up and down.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Charles Vane said:

Hello everyone, I have ordered a Seasonic 850W Prime Titanium for my new pc, and I was wondering about its hybrid mode that keeps the fan stopped and only starts spinning at 40% load.

I have had very good experiences with Seasonics, my S12 430 and S12 520 are still running smoothly and quietly after 10 years. I don't know if the fanless hybrid operation would benefit the health of the PSU and its fan in the long run, because for me the longevity is more important than being dead silent. So my question is: would the fan be more probable to last longer if it is on continuous spinning (most likely always very low rpm given the 850w power, the system will probably draw 350-400 at highest) or the hybrid mode (not spinning at all for most of the time)?

I know the hybrid technology is there for a reason, to use it, but being my first fanless psu, I have concerns that when gaming, the psu could be often  near the 40% threshold and keep ramping up and stopping the fan which in the long run would depreciate the fan faster than continuous operation? Thank you!

Depending on your system this could be a nonissue. The fan would last longer in hybrid mode (it does less revolutions over time). The PSU? well probably wont make a difference but the official and scientific or w/e story is that the hotter a product runs the more likely it is to fail. HOWEVER I dont think it will get too hot. They build in wiggle room here so the PSU could probably* run at like 60% and not need a fan spinning but they do it at 40 to prevent issues.

@Enderman @itisme911

Thank you very much, that is reassuring. I will use the hybrid mode and keep an eye of the temperature. I assume the fan is the most fragile part of the unit so I'll just prioritize its health.

16 minutes ago, itisme911 said:

Depending on your system this could be a nonissue. The fan would last longer in hybrid mode (it does less revolutions over time). The PSU? well probably wont make a difference but the official and scientific or w/e story is that the hotter a product runs the more likely it is to fail. HOWEVER I dont think it will get too hot. They build in wiggle room here so the PSU could probably* run at like 60% and not need a fan spinning but they do it at 40 to prevent issues.

Agreed. Seasonic did (and still does) enterprise grade power supplies so I am pretty confident they know how to build a quality, well adaptive hybrid power supply. Plus, they would make sure that the components inside didn't get out of spec due to heat. Its likely once the fan kicks on it is probably at around 60-70% of the maximum temperature allowed on the components. After that they cool pretty efficiently. 

4 minutes ago, Charles Vane said:

@Enderman @itisme911

Thank you very much, that is reassuring. I will use the hybrid mode and keep an eye of the temperature. I assume the fan is the most fragile part of the unit so I'll just prioritize its health.

Keep in mind most fans will last 15-30k hours depending on their build quality. So, even if the fan did start failing it would be some time. Also, if I am not mistaken, that power supply has something like a 10 year warranty on? Correct me if I am wrong. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

8 minutes ago, Lord Xeb said:

Keep in mind most fans will last 15-30k hours depending on their build quality. So, even if the fan did start failing it would be some time. Also, if I am not mistaken, that power supply has something like a 10 year warranty on? Correct me if I am wrong. 

Thank you, yes it has 12 years warranty, I just want to do all I can from the get go to not need it xD

24 minutes ago, Charles Vane said:

Thank you, yes it has 12 years warranty, I just want to do all I can from the get go to not need it xD

No problem man. My Seaonsic X760w had a 10 year warranty. Not a single issue in the nearly 5 years I have owned it. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD