Note 9 vs. OnePlus 6T?

Duranson

So I'm looking to purchase a new phone soon. I'm tired of my old slow Apple iPhone 6, and I want a snappy Android phone with a great camera. After narrowing down my options, it has come down to two phones: the Samsung Galaxy Note 9, or the OnePlus 6T (when it comes out). I basically want a phone that has a snapdragon 845, 8 gigs of ram, at least 128 gigs of storage, a great screen, usb c charging, and a great camera. Basically, I want a phone that checks every single box. I had my heart set on the OnePlus 6T, but OnePlus phones have been known to have kind of crappy cameras. Then I started looking into the note 9, which is a phone that has insanely good specs, and a really good camera. The only thing I don't like about it is Bixby and the bloatware that Samsung puts on their phones. So any thoughts on which one I should get?

Thanks!

Unless you know youre going to use the s pen dont buy the note, its very similar to the s9 plus (marginally bigger and a better battery) but not worth the price premium over the s9 UNLESS you want the s pen. (I'm a note 9 owner)

The s9/note9 has a headphone jack and a better screen if that is a selling point.

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

Comic sans is the worst font

Check out my monitor overclocking guide

I'd go with the Note9, but I also hate OnePlus so my opinion was already skewed :P

No interest in Huawei or Google? 

Also, Nokia is rumored to have a beast of a phone coming out shortly. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Wait for the OP6t. It will most likely come with a different Camera setup, so there is potential the pictures will get better.

Otherwise.. Always consider the price difference. Yes, Note 9 has better specs (Camera, display, S-Pen, bigger battery etc), but costs nearly double price.

And OP6 WILL feel faster and more snappy when you use it. And Updates come out MUCH faster. Android 9 Pie final is already out since a Week or so. Most Android-One devices still wait for it (Nokia 7 Plus just got it now, 1 month after release). And Note 9 will probably not get it before november or december (if less lucky, even not before 2019)

In my Opinion, i would ONLY get the Note 9, if you really NEED/WANT the S-Pen, and actually use it somewhat regularly. If you do NOT use the S-Pen at all, there is no reason to pay the Note 9 Price.

Oneplus phones don't have crappy cameras the cameras are better than what the price point suggests. The reason you would think they have bad cameras is that most of the time they are being compared to much more expensive flagships like the Pixels and the iPhones

If you want a clean software experience with a good camera I have to recommend the Oneplus 6T when it comes out. I also heavily suggest that you don't buy anything made by Huawei because their phones have one of the heaviest Android skins you will find.

Oneplus cameras WERE kinda crappy in general. The OP6 even made a HUGE step forward compared to even the OP5 / 5t.

I still hope, OP 6t camera quality will be even better than what 6 offered. Hopefully, on Pixel 2 level~

Huawei having one of the heaviest skins out there (not more or less than samsung...) doesn't make them bad phones.. Huawei P20 Pro is one of the best smartphones you can buy 2018. There is a good reason, Huawei is now the second largest smartphone manufacturer, even beating Apple recently (only Samsung has more sales). Their devices are pretty good overall, in almost every Price Range. Honor 10 is one of the best, now dropping below 300€ here with some special offers~.

Of course ,with that Skin, they are not the absolute fastest, snappiest phone ever made. But they do have other Perks. design for example, many actually enjoy the software.

I honestly rather have a skin, or a light skin like Oneplus, than a 100% vanilla android, that sometimes feel literaly retarded and from 4 years ago in comparison - at least when it comes to a few minor "Features", it just doesn't have.

For example, a decent Galery app (Google Photos is not a good one. Yes, i have tried. Samsung's galery is like a 100 times better). Or more options when taking screenshots. When i screenshot a Website with my Galaxy S7 Edge, i can press 1 Button before saving the shot, and it automatically scrolls down, and extends the screenshot and stitches it perfectly together. Idk why google still doesn't have something like that.

Having less from everything, and beeing as naked as possible, is not always the best solution/way.

Which is why i think, Oneplus' OxygenOS is (even if i never tried it so far) a better stock Android than stock Android itself.

Thanks for all the replies! I think right now the only way to tell is to wait for the OnePlus 6T to come out. I've also been looking at the Pixel 3/3XL leaks, the regular pixel 3 has caught my eye (the xl version is ugly as hell with it's huge notch) and so that could be an option.

Note 9 Pros: Headphone jack, powerful hardware, s pen for a new way to use the phone, wireless charging may be faster, Samsung dex, brighter screen (i think it was said to get up to 1000 nits of brightness), works on all major carriers.  

Note 9 Cons: Piece of crap Operating system overlay, fragile if dropped, may be too big at 6.4 inch screen size, bixby may be too annoying when trying to adjust volume in dark environments where visibility is limited. No android 9.0 pie for a while. Still on quick charge 2.0.   

Oneplus 6T Pros: Powerful hardware, simpler UI, faster updates, Dash Charging 

Oneplus 6T Cons: It is said to launch with Android 8.1 Oreo.. No android pie out of the box. Potential of screen jelly effect. I think that is where the phone takes a while to respond to touch correctly and looks all weird when scrolling fast through a menu or a certain timeline. No headphone jack. Probably no wireless charging, but only time will tell. May not work on all carriers. 

Those are all the things i can think of. 

If you want speed, get the 6T

If you want features and a headphone jack plus the ability to afford it, Note9

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:39 AM, duranson said:

So I'm looking to purchase a new phone soon. I'm tired of my old slow Apple iPhone 6, and I want a snappy Android phone with a great camera. After narrowing down my options, it has come down to two phones: the Samsung Galaxy Note 9, or the OnePlus 6T (when it comes out). I basically want a phone that has a snapdragon 845, 8 gigs of ram, at least 128 gigs of storage, a great screen, usb c charging, and a great camera. Basically, I want a phone that checks every single box. I had my heart set on the OnePlus 6T, but OnePlus phones have been known to have kind of crappy cameras. Then I started looking into the note 9, which is a phone that has insanely good specs, and a really good camera. The only thing I don't like about it is Bixby and the bloatware that Samsung puts on their phones. So any thoughts on which one I should get?

Thanks!

The difference between 6GB and 8GB RAM or even 4 and 8 for that matter is negligible unless you try to insanely load 200 tabs on chrome or more. The 6T also doesn't have a headphone jack coming from iPhone 6 you should miss it. The screens are great on both, the battery life is great on both I guess but 6T will charge faster.

The OnePlus 6 camera is good much better than other phones at its price just not as good as the Note 9 due to bad processing, even the Note 9 has some bad shots. I think unless you take pro photography with your phone the 6T(might improve significantly over the 6) will do just fine for you, just wait for reviews after launch and remember no headphone jack. If you still think you need a great camera then take a look at the S9 Plus, it will be cheaper on the wallet and I presume you don't need the S-Pen. As for the bloatware just throw it in a folder, slower updates as well. Many people overlook this but it is important, so if you care about it avoid the Note 9 and get the S9 or S9 Plus if you need a phones now with good camera.

You could also look at the upcoming Pixel 3 if you don't mind the design. It will have much better cameras and just as good performance and screens. I would highly suggest waiting till the end of this month and then pick a phone.

2 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

The difference between 6GB and 8GB RAM or even 4 and 8 for that matter is negligible unless you try to insanely load 200 tabs on chrome or more. The 6T also doesn't have a headphone jack coming from iPhone 6 you should miss it. The screens are great on both, the battery life is great on both I guess but 6T will charge faster.

I think that's a bit oversimplified.

It's not about 1 single App with 200 Tabs open (and i dobut, 8gb would be enough there... On my desktop, 70-80 tabs are enough to almost fill 16gb).

It's about having MULTITPLE Apps open without closing.

You probably also have the one or other App, you check once a day. Or maybe every 2-3 days.

If you open it after a half week, and it's still up, ready to go... without having to wait for reloading.. that simply feels awesome/nice, and gives you the snappyness, no waiting time.

Let it be a game you play once every 1-3 days, doing some Daily tasks etc. Those can take a while to load up.

i'm not saying, 8gb Ram makes a huge difference to 6. Probably, the limiting factor might still be from the Android System, how many active background tasks can be open (dev options?). But more than 4gb really DOES make a difference for powerusers.

Which is why the Pixel 3 won't be the best choice for power users who use alot of Apps, and hate it when anything reloads.

3 hours ago, Darkseth said:

I think that's a bit oversimplified.

It's not about 1 single App with 200 Tabs open (and i dobut, 8gb would be enough there... On my desktop, 70-80 tabs are enough to almost fill 16gb).

It's about having MULTITPLE Apps open without closing.

You probably also have the one or other App, you check once a day. Or maybe every 2-3 days.

If you open it after a half week, and it's still up, ready to go... without having to wait for reloading.. that simply feels awesome/nice, and gives you the snappyness, no waiting time.

Let it be a game you play once every 1-3 days, doing some Daily tasks etc. Those can take a while to load up.

i'm not saying, 8gb Ram makes a huge difference to 6. Probably, the limiting factor might still be from the Android System, how many active background tasks can be open (dev options?). But more than 4gb really DOES make a difference for powerusers.

Which is why the Pixel 3 won't be the best choice for power users who use alot of Apps, and hate it when anything reloads.

Makes sense but I guess that being a little too lazy but I guess even then 6GB will be enough. What if they put in SSDs as internal storage instead of flash based storage.

That's what they actually do ?

iPhones since YEARS (nand), and Androids with "UFS" storage (instead the old, slow emmc 5.0)

an Android device with UFS storage can have sequential reads of 700-1000 mb/s.

My iPad Pro 10.5" reaches like 1200 mb/s sequential Reads.

Of course, the amount of accesses at the same time (IOPS) will probably not be at the same Level as a full size SSD / M.2 NVME, but that's because of the Size)

Alright, the Pixel 3 and 3 XL were announced today, I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of either. I've decided not to go with the Galaxy Note 9 for a few reasons: its hefty price tag, how damn large it is, and the Samsung skin. So basically, the Oneplus 6T seems to be the winner (at least for me). I've already seen a few, but does anyone have any other suggestions of phones I could get? Any thoughts on the Huawei P20 Pro?

12 hours ago, duranson said:

Alright, the Pixel 3 and 3 XL were announced today, I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of either. I've decided not to go with the Galaxy Note 9 for a few reasons: its hefty price tag, how damn large it is, and the Samsung skin. So basically, the Oneplus 6T seems to be the winner (at least for me). I've already seen a few, but does anyone have any other suggestions of phones I could get? Any thoughts on the Huawei P20 Pro?

6T seems to be your best bet, P20 pro is pretty boring apart from its camera