AORUS 1080, fan stops/stars ?!

Hey guys!

Need some opinions if this is alright or not. I have a gigabyte gtx 1080 aorus gpu, gaming mode is on with semi-passive fans.

I often see the fans through the case, starting and stopping every 5 sec or so, but not all together, sometimes just 1, sometimes 2 of them start, then the 3rd one a little after. It's really interesting cause the FAN STOP sign on the GPU is active, so there shouldn't be any fan spinning, cause that means the fans DO NOT spin.

I checked HWMonitor, it also jumps from 0 to 800, or even 1000, then 0 again.

Is this normal, should I not use the gaming mode and instead just create a custom fan curve?

3 minutes ago, Kranolf said:

Hey guys!

Need some opinions if this is alright or not. I have a gigabyte gtx 1080 aorus gpu, gaming mode is on with semi-passive fans.

I often see the fans through the case, starting and stopping every 5 sec or so, but not all together, sometimes just 1, sometimes 2 of them start, then the 3rd one a little after. It's really interesting cause the FAN STOP sign on the GPU is active, so there shouldn't be any fan spinning, cause that means the fans DO NOT spin.

Is this normal, should I not use the gaming mode and instead just create a custom fan curve?

a Custom fan curve is a good idea, the one that it uses now is not a smooth one.

also depends on how fast the card heats up and cools down.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

Here's an analogy for what I think is happening: On first gen Mazda Miatas, which has pop-up healights, if you hit the head light button fast and long enough, the headlights will alternate coming up and down (left up while right is down, right up while left is down, etc). This might be happening with your GPU. The temp falls under the threshold, fans stop. It rises above the threshold, the fan that stopped spinning first starts spinning, but the other two haven't caught up. by the time the other two start, the GPU has told the fans to stop spinning again.

Now that might just be crazy talk and you should just set a custom fan curve cause that will most likely fix your problems anyways

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

It's supposed to do that

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

26 minutes ago, Kranolf said:

Hey guys!

Do you have any OC tools active? My 1080 Ti Amp extreme would often do what you're experiencing and I found it was because I had MSI Afterburner running while just browsing.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

9 hours ago, vong said:

Do you have any OC tools active? My 1080 Ti Amp extreme would often do what you're experiencing and I found it was because I had MSI Afterburner running while just browsing.

Just CAM software, but that shouldn't bother anything cause everything's at default.