2160p video playback crashes computer despite sufficient performance?

NextMarcus

One of my middle-aged computers is from 2011 or 2012. It has an Intel Core i7 of the second generation and an AMD Radeon. I will look up the exact model number later, but probably a 6xxx model.

That computer still works well, runs very fast, but I have noticed a strange behaviour playing back 2160p video footage:

• 1440p and 2160p playback on YouTube: System either hangs up (screen frozen forever) or crashes with BSOD like shown in this video (my PC also has AMD Radeon. I will look up the model number):
  • VLC Media player and Media Player Classic: Plays the first half second of 2160p video smoothly, then the image gets frozen and only the audio plays. Same happens for 8K.
    • VLC plays 1080p video at 60fps very smoothly at only 8% CPU usage (Intel Core i7 Gen2). It looks smooth on the screen, and VLC indicates 0 lost frames.
    • I can play 1080p@60fps at twice the playback speed. Still zer0 trouble.
    • 2160p video at 30fps is only twice the number of pixels per second of 1080p@60fps and the same as 1080p@60fps◄×2, yet it fails playing back properly.

Can anyone technically explain what is wrong?

13 minutes ago, NextMarcus said:

One of my middle-aged computers is from 2011 or 2012. It has an Intel Core i7 of the second generation and an AMD Radeon. I will look up the exact model number later, but probably a 6xxx model.

That computer still works well, runs very fast, but I have noticed a strange behaviour playing back 2160p video footage:

• 1440p and 2160p playback on YouTube: System either hangs up (screen frozen forever) or crashes with BSOD like shown in this video (my PC also has AMD Radeon. I will look up the model number):
  • VLC Media player and Media Player Classic: Plays the first half second of 2160p video smoothly, then the image gets frozen and only the audio plays. Same happens for 8K.
    • VLC plays 1080p video at 60fps very smoothly at only 8% CPU usage (Intel Core i7 Gen2). It looks smooth on the screen, and VLC indicates 0 lost frames.
    • 2160p video at 30fps is only twice the number of pixels per second of 1080p@60fps and the same as 1080p@60fps◄×2, yet it fails playing back properly.

4k is 2x taller and 2x wider than 1080p. That mean it's a 2by 2 square meaning you can fit a total of 4 1080p screens in a 4k screen based on pixels. So really 4k 30 would be 30x4 meaning 120fps 1080p. 4k 60 would be 240 fps 1080p.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

4k is 2x taller and 2x wider than 1080p. That mean it's a 2by 2 square meaning you can fit a total of 4 1080p screens in a 4k screen based on pixels. So really 4k 30 would be 30x4 meaning 120fps 1080p. 4k 60 would be 240 fps 1080p.

Like I said.

But 1080p@60fps video can be played flawlessly.

It also looks flawless at twice the playback speed, which would already equal 2160p 30fps by pixel count per second. This means 248.832.000 pixels.

I am not sure, whether there is any frameskipping when playing back 1080p@120fps. But 2160p@30fps fails to play back somehow. I am sure, that the performance of the CPU+GPU is sufficient for 2160p playback at 30fps. Why does it fail?

Forgot to mention: Surprisingly, a 2160p@15fps video fails playing back as well. It plays for the fraction of a second, then the video stops moving but the audio keeps playing.

2160p@15fps equals 1080p@60fps by pixel rate.

Why does 2160p at 15fps fail while 1080p at 60fps works?

7 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Have you ever been able to play 4k on that card? It could be that the drivers simply don't support it. I would guess it's a software/driver issue rather than hardware. 

No, it never worked.

1080p always worked, 2160p not.

I forgot to mention: Playing an 1440p video recorded via a Galaxy Note 4 at original speed: Glitchy and stuttering video while the audio plays without any distortion or interruption. 1080p from the same Galaxy Note 4 played back flawlessly.

Interestingly, playing 1440p at half the speed works fine the last time I tried. That's confusingly mysterious.

38 minutes ago, NextMarcus said:

About the YouTube crash:

I do not experience the screen blackout and whiteout shown in that video.

2 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

So I'm thinking if it's a software issue. While the HD 6750 cannot output a native 4K monitor resolution, I cannot see why the GPU cannot play back 4K content, especially since it's YouTube. Have you tried 1440p video play back? Different web-browsers? 

Like I said, 1440p has the same effect.

Different browsers? Also hanging up or crashing.

3 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

So I'm thinking if it's a software issue. While the HD 6750 cannot output a native 4K monitor resolution, I cannot see why the GPU cannot play back 4K content, especially since it's YouTube. Have you tried 1440p video play back? Different web-browsers? 

It happens on an 1080p display.

17 hours ago, Abyssal Radon said:

I would make sure that you have the latest AMD Radeon Drivers installed.

I will take a look at the eventvwr.

But I should update the driver.

It might work, however, I wonder how a software update could fix this issue.

It might just prevent crashes, but playback might not yet be possible.

I wonder what about the 1440p/2160p videos cause the crashes in first place.