Soldering 5V RGB led strips to mix colors?

FroxIV

Hey guys,

Im looking for some informations, about RGB led stripes and how to solder them, to get the color i want.

The strip requires 5V 1.2A ( was connected via USB connector with an controller build in, which got destroyed by something)

Now im looking into wiring the Led strip without an controller inbetween powersource and strip
(Most remote controllers getting controled by signals of other remotes im using too...)

My question:

Is it possible, to "hotwire / without an controller" just an 5V 1,2A power source to the LED strip and "Mix" colors?

for example:
If im running " - "  wire and 5 Volts to Green and Blue, should i get turquoise?

I know its working with just Red, Green or Blue but havn't tried to mix them.

Is it that simple or are there some things i need to know about that?

GPU: ROG STRIX-RX480-O8G-GAMING @1350Mhz 1.156V //// CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3,6Ghz //// MOBO: Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING //// PSU: CX550

Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX LP DDR4 3200mhz (runing 3000mhz 16/18/18/36 T2)

OS: Win 10 64bit //// Full setup: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/BGHqdX

Basic rule with LED is they need a resistor. Here's a calculator, there are plenty with a web search.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

17 minutes ago, FroxIV said:

-SNIP-

The mixing of colored light depends on the intensity so if your just put red and blue to full power you'll get a purple magenta color. If you want a very simple controller you can use basic voltage control using a potentiometer. 

1 minute ago, James Evens said:

6W total power. Even 2W is to much for potentiometer (reality every color needs different amounts of power which mean max will be above 2W). Most poti are rated for 0.5W.

Well you wouldn't directly wire it to a potentiometer, it would still require a mosfet or circuity that it bases it's control off of. Essentially a fan controller would work as long as there are 3 channels for each color

Hey guys,

sorry for that late reply.
I relalized im way more newbie than i thought and need some informations about connecting the strips to any kind of powersource.
The LED strip was power via USB, so there is an 5V 1.2a information on the box of the strips.
Im looking into connecting the strip in different ways:

Idea 1: Connecting the  strips to an Powerplug rated for 5V 2a
(It says 2a max. so it should be possible to connect the strip rated with 1.2a on an 2a(max. power plug right)?

Idea 2: Running the strip with an 5v powerbank rated with an higher rating than 1.2a too.

Is it possible to run the strips with these kinds of connection ( with the higher Ampere)?

GPU: ROG STRIX-RX480-O8G-GAMING @1350Mhz 1.156V //// CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3,6Ghz //// MOBO: Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING //// PSU: CX550

Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX LP DDR4 3200mhz (runing 3000mhz 16/18/18/36 T2)

1 hour ago, FroxIV said:

-SNIP-

Yes as long as the power bank or power adapter you are using is capable of at least 1.2A or more it should have no issues running the LED's. 

9 hours ago, W-L said:

Yes as long as the power bank or power adapter you are using is capable of at least 1.2A or more it should have no issues running the LED's. 

Thanks mate,
gonna order the parts now.