CPU/GPU heat calcuations

ddurschlag

I'm trying to understand how a 2080 Ti with a 450+W draw can possible be cooled by its tiny little fin stack, when much (much!) larger sinks (e.g. two 12" chunks of https://www.heatsinkusa.com/12-000-wide-extruded-aluminum-heatsink/) would have an ambient differential of 50+ degrees to handle a similar load (according to the manufacturer's C/W). Am I misunderstanding the amount of heat these cards are putting out? Underestimating the surface area of their fin stacks? Missing some other detail? If it's relevant I'm considering a somewhat Stefan1024-style build (though I plan to have a single, large fan pouring air over all the sinks).

The 2080ti has 2x very high rpm fans pointed at it's heatsink all the time, while the heatsink at your website probably assumes little to no airflow.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

11 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

The 2080ti has 2x very high rpm fans pointed at it's heatsink all the time, while the heatsink at your website probably assumes little to no airflow.

That's an interesting point. My assumption was that airflow was handled as part of temperature differential -- if you're talking about degrees different from ambient, good airflow keeps that ambient temperature down. Do you know of a good way to include fan information in the heat transfer calculation?

4 hours ago, ddurschlag said:

That's an interesting point. My assumption was that airflow was handled as part of temperature differential -- if you're talking about degrees different from ambient, good airflow keeps that ambient temperature down. Do you know of a good way to include fan information in the heat transfer calculation?

Absolutely no idea.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.