What to do with extremely overkill PSU?

Andreas Harford

I purchased a bundle on EVGA that included a 1080ti and a 1300W g2 80+ Gold PSU. Now the PC that i'm planning is unlikely to even draw more than 500W at full load, so here stands the question: do I just use the 1300w PSU or do go through the bother of selling it and then buy a 750w PSU or something?

Are there any downsides to using a PSU that will only be drawing less than half of what it can draw?

My parts list for reference: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/andreasharford/saved/GmL9Jx

I wouldn't bother? You basicly have no thing to upgrade so if you wannna save a buck, do it. But i wouldn't bother mainly because there is no downside with using overkill PSU.

Like i said, if you really want to save go for it. 

Quote me so I can reply <3

you shouldn't have any problems, a good psu like this one will use the wattage needed and will remain very quiet.

Bottom line, there's no harm in using that 1300W PSU with the GTX 1080 Ti.

Personally I would go ahead and sell that 1300W PSU and buy a smaller PSU from an efficiency standpoint.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

You won't have troubles, but you will be wasting a hell of a PSU.
Check the prices, if you can sell it, buy one that fits your build (efficently) and it leaves you some extra bucks to spend in some ram or storage... i would give it a go

It's not going to run at peak efficiency, but that won't matter much.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Sell it, and use the money saved elsewhere to improve the build.

There's no point in using a PSU that large, although like people ahve said, technically it wouldn't harm anything.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

1 hour ago, Andreas Harford said:

I purchased a bundle on EVGA that included a 1080ti and a 1300W g2 80+ Gold PSU. Now the PC that i'm planning is unlikely to even draw more than 500W at full load, so here stands the question: do I just use the 1300w PSU or do go through the bother of selling it and then buy a 750w PSU or something?

Are there any downsides to using a PSU that will only be drawing less than half of what it can draw?

My parts list for reference: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/andreasharford/saved/GmL9Jx

Test it then sell it and get the 750w or even a 650w PSU.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

650W?... 750W?!!

We're talking about an i5 + 1080ti, now... A good 550W will be fine.

The EVGA 1300 G2 is loud. That's about all that's wrong for your system.

Your could sell it for 200 ? Not for resail price, because they'll only be getting three years warranty.

You can find a high quality 550W power supply for ~£80, such as the Corsair RMx, Bitfenix Whisper.

Thanks for the replies so far guys, I think the general consensus is to sell it as it will be a huge waste. I'll see what price I could sell it for and hope that somebody needs a PSU that large. 

The same as someone in the PCGH Forum did.

And he didn't want to believe that the 1300W EVGA G2 is rather loud.

Well, you might try it and tell us what you think about the PSU.

Yes, high fan RPM, more damage when something goes wrong, as higher amperage and energy in the primary side, because its not a Multi Rail unit, wich should be mandatory by any 1000W+ PSU...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

A Guy in a German forum claimed it is "very quiet"...

Yeah I read a review somewhere that claimed it was very quiet, but there seems to be mixed opinions on the noise levels so I don't know.