building your own router?

mineblaster

ive got a xeon L5520 and a gigabyte GA-X58A-ud5 in  a 2u chembro rackmount case im wanting to connect a storage and gamming server 3pc's via cables two laptops by wireless ac prefably and bit of a wider bandwidth for the gaming and storage server two communicate 4gbe or maybe 10gbe if its cheap and should i use windows or go somthing like pf sense and low porfile cards

tn_gallery_36628_566_1164635.jpg

and a photo as it stands and remember new zealand pricing and websites otherwise it gets messey and also likes from 

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers

pfSense has horrible wireless support, other than that there is no reason not to have it. You can use an external AP if you want AC wireless.

10gig is still quite expensive, you might find some cheap xenpak adapters that work on 10gig, but they use non standard cables. 4gig is really an illusion, its 4x1gig streams not pure 4gig unless you are running some windows thing im not very aware of yet.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

pfSense has horrible wireless support, other than that there is no reason not to have it. You can use an external AP if you want AC wireless.

10gig is still quite expensive, you might find some cheap xenpak adapters that work on 10gig, but they use non standard cables. 4gig is really an illusion, its 4x1gig streams not pure 4gig unless you are running some windows thing im not very aware of yet.

i have seen some fiber controllers that are two 2 gb they are usually for san's and external storage arrays

ive got a xeon L5520 and a gigabyte GA-X58A-ud5 in  a 2u chembro rackmount case im wanting to connect a storage and gamming server 3pc's via cables two laptops by wireless ac prefably and bit of a wider bandwidth for the gaming and storage server two communicate 4gbe or maybe 10gbe if its cheap and should i use windows or go somthing like pf sense and low porfile cards

and a photo as it stands and remember new zealand pricing and websites otherwise it gets messey and also likes from 

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers

:blink: Punctuation!

10GBe Isn't cheap.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I would use RouterOS, there is a huge wiki about all of its features and big community to help you out with your specific issue :).

Another ros fan :)

I don't recommend it for new users because it isn't very newbie friendly, but its by far one of the best os'es out there.

Yay! Finally, I thought I was the only person who knows about it :) . 

But you know, I thought that when he had such an advanced setup, he could use an advanced OS.

Well pfSense is a free alternative compared to ros that would do the same thing for him.

Id never run anything other than RouterOS, but i guess it comes to personal preference and experience.

I used Pfsense, and to me it felt unfinished it some areas, and not working in other. And better in other. But that is just a subjective view, others might disagree. I just gave him an advice, like he asked.