"Vintage" Computer Thread

Tr3vor

:( So... You DON'T want to take a server board and cram it into a huge ass modern-day case?

no, not really

Why go with a 286 when 386 are more common and normally perform better (if you get a 386 DX-40 that is, 1 particular 25MHz 286 was as fast as the DX-40)? Also, dual Pentium III rigs (or for that matter anything with a Pentium III 500MHz+) are perfect for trolling Steam if your using OpenSuse.

Because I have a 486DX 33mhz. I don't really need a 386, well I have a 386SX 20mhz laptop, but its a laptop, don't really like those old things too much. heck, I'd like an 8086 system if I could get my hands on one. I'd want that or a 286 for game that run too fast on my two 486 machines.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

no, not really

Because I have a 486DX 33mhz. I don't really need a 386, well I have a 386SX 20mhz laptop, but its a laptop, don't really like those old things too much. heck, I'd like an 8086 system if I could get my hands on one. I'd want that or a 286 for game that run too fast on my two 486 machines.

Ah, right. And a 386 DX-40 will flog the crap out of that 33MHz 486 BTW, that's why Intel had to scramble to make their 66MHz 486.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

AFAIK, they're talking about the resolution nickname. I think it's like 640x480 or something like that.

VGA isn't a resolution, its a dispay standard. VGA can have a maximum resolution of 640x480 with 16 colors though. SVGA is the next standard, supporting up to 800x600, then there was XGA or whatever, and it keeps going.

I've got an old IBM DOS clone from the 1980's. I posted i pic of it about a year ago, I'll see if I can find it.

8Mhz processor, 8MB HDD, running IBM DOS 5.0.

Edit: here's the pic!

post-103118-0-12031200-1408545930.jpg

Nice, an XT clone. Those are sweet.

VGA isn't a resolution, its a dispay standard. VGA can have a maximum resolution of 640x480 with 16 colors though. SVGA is the next standard, supporting up to 800x600, then there was XGA or whatever, and it keeps going.

Nice, an XT clone. Those are sweet.

Right, that's what it was. :P

Do you have an old laptop with say... a 7MHz CPU? :P

Not that I do... Or maybe I do... Gimme a minute... Maybe...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Ah, right. And a 386 DX-40 will flog the crap out of that 33MHz 486 BTW, that's why Intel had to scramble to make their 66MHz 486.

Not really, from videos I've seen, the 33mhz 486 and 386dx-40 are comparable. If my 486DX-33 can't handle it, I always have my DX2-66 and P75 to take care of it :) Yeah, I have a bunch of old shit.

edit: holy fuck, I just realized this isn't the retro computer parts thread, but the thread I made over a year ago. Necro indeed :P

Not really, from videos I've seen, the 33mhz 486 and 386dx-40 are comparable. If my 486DX-33 can't handle it, I always have my DX2-66 and P75 to take care of it :) Yeah, I have a bunch of old shit.

edit: holy fuck, I just realized this isn't the retro computer parts thread, but the thread I made over a year ago. Necro indeed :P

It wasn't dead just sleeping. Oh and Lol. As for a 286, I've got one (along with a 486SX, also 25MHz), but both had their motherboards killed by the barrel batteries-(286 was supposed to have its bat pack replaced, but the techie just soldered a POS on to it instead), with the 386 still going strong due to its bat pack (slight corrosion around the front panel LED header due to beer being spilt on it-but the board still posts).

PMSL

I sadly don't have them any more but these are my first two computers. 

The Imasi 8080 my Dad and I built from a Kit when I was 5 or 6 (Same Computer Matthew Broderick had in War Games) 

Imsai_8080_System_1_zpsuqfycvci.jpg

11822301_861599290576443_713941815899112

The Atari 1200XL we got when I was 8

225779-atari_evolution_03_slide-1982-64K

atari_1200_large_zpsmlshmz8h.jpg

While I don't have either of them anymore I do emulate the Atari from time to time. 

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

I sadly don't have them any more but these are my first two computers. 

The Imasi 8080 my Dad and I built from a Kit when I was 5 or 6 (Same Computer Matthew Broderick had in War Games) 

Imsai_8080_System_1_zpsuqfycvci.jpg

11822301_861599290576443_713941815899112

The Atari 1200XL we got when I was 8

225779-atari_evolution_03_slide-1982-64K

atari_1200_large_zpsmlshmz8h.jpg

While I don't have either of them anymore I do emulate the Atari from time to time. 

I really don't miss those prices. I do however miss the reliability.

PMSL

I really don't miss those prices. I do however miss the reliability.

We built the 8080 in 80 or 81. Basing it on 1980 that $5995 is $18,353.29  :blink:

It wasn't dead just sleeping. Oh and Lol. As for a 286, I've got one (along with a 486SX, also 25MHz), but both had their motherboards killed by the barrel batteries-(286 was supposed to have its bat pack replaced, but the techie just soldered a POS on to it instead), with the 386 still going strong due to its bat pack (slight corrosion around the front panel LED header due to beer being spilt on it-but the board still posts).

That sucks. My 486dx2 looks like it almost got killed by one of the barrel batteries, but somebody replaced it with what at the time appeared to be AAs, connected by soldering wire to the barrel battery pins. Those pins try to charge said batteries and leaked all over the power supply and other areas of the board. Luckly, I fixed that, cleaned it up real good and all that, found the pins the AAs were supposed to go to and now it works.  Its ironic how it was almost killed not by the barrel batteries, but the replacement battery.

Unfortunately I no longer have my vintage computers, but I should still have the archive of them from when they were in storage. Gotta find it and I'm updating my wiki and posting them here aswell. Hang on!

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

We built the 8080 in 80 or 81. Basing it on 1980 that $5995 is $18,353.29  :blink:

Exactly.

PMSL

That sucks. My 486dx2 looks like it almost got killed by one of the barrel batteries, but somebody replaced it with what at the time appeared to be AAs, connected by soldering wire to the barrel battery pins. Those pins try to charge said batteries and leaked all over the power supply and other areas of the board. Luckly, I fixed that, cleaned it up real good and all that, found the pins the AAs were supposed to go to and now it works.  Its ironic how it was almost killed not by the barrel batteries, but the replacement battery.

I should probably do the same, except with rechargeable batteries.

Edit: And I managed to dig up the replacement for my 386, a 486 DX100 (Texas Instruments) with its stock cooler. However I no longer have its motherboard since it caught fire (bloody cheap capacitors).

PMSL

I should probably do the same, except with rechargeable batteries.

Edit: And I managed to dig up the replacement for my 386, a 486 DX100 (Texas Instruments) with its stock cooler. However I no longer have its motherboard since it caught fire (bloody cheap capacitors).

Or you could see if there are pins for a non rechargable cmos battery, my 486 had them, yours might. its much easier than messing with rechargables.

Or you could see if there are pins for a non rechargable cmos battery, my 486 had them, yours might. its much easier than messing with rechargables.

Its rechargeable or nothing. I could always wire a diode in series to prevent the batteries from charging however if I used non rechargeables.

Edit: Either way, I've got 2 years to sort out my 386 for its 25th buildersday.

PMSL

I had an old IBM PS/2 complete with original keyboard, monitor, and mouse about 15 years ago.  My mom tossed it when I moved out.  I actually had it on the internet via dialup.  I used a DOS based IRC client that actually worked similarly to IRC.  In addition I had a web browser.  I really wish she wouldn't have tossed it...it was a gem.  Used it daily when my machine running a Pentium 60 died due to a failed bios update.

Edit:  One book that I would live by was the Upgrading and Repairing PCs book.  I owned several editions of their book as a kid/teen.  It taught me everything about the hardware and software underpinnings of PCs.  I was able to completely blow through most tech school/college courses thanks to practically having it's contents memorized.  Sadly, these days I'm a programmer.  The money just isn't in hardware anymore.

Every once in a while I get an itch to get an Atari 1200XL again. Might just have to do that especially since they are not that expensive, especially compared to the Imasi. Those go for bank. (If you can even find one)