Episode Suggestion: Banana Pi Review

Nightness
1 minute ago, Nightness said:

They are way better

that's.. debatable..

on paper they have more ram and much powerful processors, but they're not as widely supported, most of the extra features they pack are pretty disappointing when you see the actual implementation, and they're actually not that sharply priced..

for some applications an orange pi may be a much better deal.. for others the raspberry pi may be the smarter choice.

also, your link is sketch as hell.. why is it a youtube redirect URL hidden as a direct amazon link?

44 minutes ago, manikyath said:

that's.. debatable..

on paper they have more ram and much powerful processors, but they're not as widely supported, most of the extra features they pack are pretty disappointing when you see the actual implementation, and they're actually not that sharply priced..

for some applications an orange pi may be a much better deal.. for others the raspberry pi may be the smarter choice.

also, your link is sketch as hell.. why is it a youtube redirect URL hidden as a direct amazon link?

They also have 10 times faster Ethernet and USB3, and if over-clockable... I see some potential for fun.

omg, I know copy-paste is so sketchy...Fixed that "sketchy link". lol

10 minutes ago, Nightness said:

They also have 10 times faster Ethernet and USB3, and if over-clockable... I see some potential for fun.

omg, I know copy-paste is so sketchy...Fixed that "sketchy link". lol

10 times faster ethernet... debatable if the chipset behind that interface (and the storage interfaces) can actually handle that much data, and all raspberry pi's are overclockable, which.. overclocking ARM is disappointing..

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

10 times faster ethernet... debatable if the chipset behind that interface (and the storage interfaces) can actually handle that much data, and all raspberry pi's are overclockable, which.. overclocking ARM is disappointing..

I'm not trying to talk as an expert here, which is why I requested a review before buying one. Why are you getting into to specifics with ME? :/

Just now, Nightness said:

I'm not trying to talk as an expert here, which is why I requested a review before buying one. Why are you getting into to specifics with ME? :/

because you suggested a bananna pi review, and i'm suggesting why i disagree with a banana pi review, on a channel that has never really given attention to the raspberry pi ecosystem in the first place.

having tinkering/electronics channels look into the bananna pi is a great idea, LTT.. its just not their market (yet).

23 minutes ago, manikyath said:

because you suggested a bananna pi review, and i'm suggesting why i disagree with a banana pi review, on a channel that has never really given attention to the raspberry pi ecosystem in the first place.

having tinkering/electronics channels look into the bananna pi is a great idea, LTT.. its just not their market (yet).

They are very niche but interesting boards and great for learning. I've seen someone stuff a Rasp Pi Zero in an NES controller with HDMI out for the emulator running on the pi that's in the controller! (maybe I dreamed this, google it if curious) :)

Also Raspberry PI and Banana Pi are from different organizations/companies (I think?) (both open-arch so name sharing is not a problem)

2 minutes ago, Nightness said:

They are very niche but interesting boards and great for learning. I've seen someone stuff a Rasp Pi Zero in an NES controller with HDMI out for the emulator running on the pi that's in the controller! (maybe I dreamed this, google it if curious) :)

Also Raspberry PI and Banana Pi are from different organizations/companies

i'm well aware of everything you're saying, in fact orange pi started out as one of *many* raspberry pi knockoffs, they just managed to differentiate themselves by bolting on a lot of fancy things over the years. the orange pi however seems to be more designed towards "hitting as many marketing bullet points as possible" while keeping price as low as possible, wether or not that means those marketing bullet points are actually implemented in a useful way..that's a different case.

their first big differentiation was having a SATA port on their board.. which sounds really useful, except it was hooked into a sata to usb2 controller, that was hooked into the usb hub chipset, and due to power limitations you could only sensibly use SSDs on it. as a result.. it was a fancy bullet point, that was absolutely useless. and it kinda stayed that way for most other things they imagined over the years, to the point they made a "barebones" unit for making your own router, contained all the jazz: 5 ethernet ports, a slot for flash boot media, a spot for a hard drive (read above ;)), fairly powerful chipset, and so on... except that once you get a basic setup together with that thing you're already in business router pricebracket, or in the pricebracket of doing the same with an actual x86 architecture device.

and as for the emulation side of things.. just go raspberry, every image for emulation boxes is built for raspberry, and orange cant offer any performance benefit on that side.

If you can post a link to any RPi review made by LTT... They only do such projects a) when its kit and meant for learning coding b) there's actual interesting idea on how to use it. Like their arcade cabinet thingy.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv