Steam speed higher than speetest,net shows

Gaming4serbia
Go to solution Solved by KarathKasun,
3 minutes ago, Gaming4serbia said:

well can the difference be ~150mbps ? isnt that a little too much ?

Not really.  Many ISPs will do traffic shaping to connections to frivolous bandwidth wasting servers.  Depending on your location, the connection between the ISP and the rest of the network could be the limiting factor.

These kinda of problems crop up more and more as you move to speeds over 100mbps.

So, rececntly i got a 300mbps internet and i wanted to show of to my friends but i couldnt get the speed on speedtest.net to show the real speed.

I have downloaded on steam with speeds of up to 34.6 MB/s (i have net.tv so i suppose thats why its not 37.5MB/s like it should be)

And also task manager shows 305 Mbps.

Untitled.jpg.8b80e42c844998968311112c69ecf8aa.jpg

But speedtest.net says differently.

Sketch.png.67b19fd400067da3c6b51e5da9493716.png

Can anyone explain why this is happening?

Change the server location for Speedtest. Typically it will automatically pick whichever server has the best ping, however that server may not be the closest or give you the best download/upload results. Try other servers in your area to see if the results improve.

There may have also been something else downloading in the background or on another device while you run that Speedtest test.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

There is a lot of servers and they are all showing speeds below 200 or even 160.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Change the server location for Speedtest. Typically it will automatically pick whichever server has the best ping, however that server may not be the closest or give you the best download/upload results. Try other servers in your area to see if the results improve.

There may have also been something else downloading in the background or on another device while you run that Speedtest test.

there is only settopbox type device on network and there was nothing downloading in the background

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Steam has a better connection to your ISP than the speedtest servers, simple as that.

3 minutes ago, Gaming4serbia said:

Not really.  Many ISPs will do traffic shaping to connections to frivolous bandwidth wasting servers.  Depending on your location, the connection between the ISP and the rest of the network could be the limiting factor.

These kinda of problems crop up more and more as you move to speeds over 100mbps.

43 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Steam has a better connection to your ISP than the speedtest servers, simple as that.

To add to this, your ISP may even be the local host for the Steam content you are downloading.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

You should never trust a single speed test service, I have had days where speedtest.net won't even report my paltry 64Mbit correctly.

I tend to get more consistency with http://dslreports.com/speedtest/ myself.

Honestly if you are getting good speeds from Steam then I wouldn't worry about it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7