Which would be the bottleneck?

RKarim

Hi,

I'm going to build a PC soon, but I'm torn between the ryzen 2700x and the I7 8700k. I was wondering if there would be a difference in gaming, or would a GTX 1080 bottleneck them both, therefore making the 2700x the better choice for additional productivity. Thanks for all your help.

you determine bottlenecks through usage , not just picking parts and guessing.

you run the application you want , then watch the usage on the cpu and gpu to determine a bottleneck. you don't just flat out guess what they could be theoretically 

I don't own either CPU, i'm planning on buying one. I was just wondering if anyone knew if there would be any significant difference while gaming.

Just now, RKarim said:

I don't own either CPU, i'm planning on buying one. I was just wondering if anyone knew if there would be any significant difference while gaming.

gaming with what
what game

what settings

again , not good to make generalizations when dealing with bottlenecks , for all we know you're playing minecraft

Overwatch, pubg, starcraft, cs:go, Rainbow Six Siege, battlefield, etc. As high as possible.

Neither cpu would bottleneck the gpu

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Just now, lmeneses said:

Neither cpu would bottleneck the gpu

Ok, Thanks. I'll go 2700x. My local microcenter has a great deal for the Taichi.

9 minutes ago, emosun said:

you determine bottlenecks through usage , not just picking parts and guessing.

you run the application you want , then watch the usage on the cpu and gpu to determine a bottleneck. you don't just flat out guess what they could be theoretically 

well, you kind of can. Neither is really going to "bottleneck" the gpu

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

2 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

kind of

exactly

thats why it's best to ask them what they are doing

for all we knew he could have been doing literally any task which can tax any component

2 minutes ago, RKarim said:

Umm, aslo, while people are here. Asus x470f or Taichi?

doesn't really matter, whichever is cheaper honestly. They're both great boards

1 minute ago, emosun said:

exactly

thats why it's best to ask them what they are doing

for all we knew he could have been doing literally any task which can tax any component

Well, simplified neither will necessarily bottleneck the gpu, especially the 8700k and 2700x

4 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

Well, simplified neither will necessarily bottleneck the gpu, especially the 8700k and 2700x

it's bad practice to not ask what they are doing.

if he was cpu rendering videos , and thought he needed a gpu just to do video editing , he would have spent hundreds of dollars for a gpu he didn't need. thats why you ask.

and yes , time and time again people come on here and put together builds with gtx 1080's and they aren't gaming at all. 

Just now, emosun said:

it's bad practice to not ask what they are doing.

if he was cpu rendering videos , and thought he needed a gpu just to do video editing , he would have spent hundreds of dollars for a gpu he didn't need. thats why you ask.

and yes , time and time again people come on here and put together builds with gtx 1080's and they aren't gaming at all. 

i agree

Get the 8700K.