Upgrading to SSD, data migration questions

SouthernPotato

I currently have a 1TB hard drive of which I've used 488 GB. I aim to start using an SSD as my boot drive soon, and I need to decide what size to get. My Program File (x86) folder is about 170 GB (largely due to games), and the Windows 7 seems to take up about 20 GB.  Is it possible to get a 250 (ish) GB SSD and transfer only the OS and part of my program files? Will I need to re-install most of my programs? Can I use certain software to make it easier? Alternatively, would I be at a tremendous advantage to just buy a 500 GB SSD? Would that save me a lot of re-installations and configuring?

This SSD is the one I plan on buying. Is anyone familiar with the data migration software mentioned in the video? Also, does anyone recommend an SSD instead of this one?

I'm new here, feel free to tell me if I've stepped out of line. Thank you for your time.

Radeon HD 7950 3GB | Intel i5 3350P @ 3.3GHz | 16GB RAM | MSI B75MA-P45

Samsung 840 EVO 256GB | Western Digital Black 1TB

The data migration software the Samsung drives come with is very nice.  If you can partition your current drive and dump all your multi-media type stuff onto the other partition leaving only the programs and OS, you can just clone the OS partition onto the new drive, which I find to be a simpler solution than more complex migration software that you help sort through things and pick what to migrate and what not to.